Shaw University Reviews

Shaw has a very small campus , and a hand full of student , foods bad but u can make your experince fun ,but dorm life sucks as well plus u have to pay for laundry .
Great interaction with professors. Able to talk and meet with them after classes. Stimulating class sessions and got to know a lot of friends for life!
Shaw University is an HBCU in Raleigh North Carolina and founded in 1865. What I like about this school is the student to teacher ratio. Shaw University is an average school nothing too good about it and nothing too wrong about it. I would love to see them upgrade their dorms and most of the buildings.
Start Your Review of Shaw University
Very good place to earn a degree of choice . All my instructors are very professional and helpful and available to assist at any moment.
I am an international student, as many other that came to Shaw. I met many different people coming from different countries. All the diversity at Shaw influences your experience in a good way. School wise, we have good staff, who is dedicated to make you succeed in your career plans. Everyone struggles during school, but there is many people (advisors, professors, students, and the faculty) who are there for us during those times. The only thing I would really like to improve at Shaw would be the quality of classes and doing the practical assignments during the classes instead of mostly theory.
I started at Shaw in 2014 as a CAPE Student. The advisors, professors, coordinators and faculty were awesome! I really appreciate the support I received during my pursuit of an undergraduate degree. I was recently accepted at the Divinity school there and I look forward to an epic experience.
I've accomplished so many goals since I have been attending Shaw. My level of learning has been undergo, shaw really makes you want to continue your career on and your school work. The students here make one another feel welcomed. We as a whole help one another if anyone needs help, I feel very accepted here and I plan to continue on.
As a non traditional student not in the CAPE program, I would strongly encourage any working students to either have 1) a 3rd shift job or 2) have a super flexible employer who lets you attend classes during the day. The current VP of Academic Affairs is not pleasant to work with towards the path of graduation. There are a lot of things that can be improved, but the educators and leadership who communicate with students DO care. The administration who don't interact with students...need vast improvement.
My overall experience at Shaw has been indifferent. I would not say it’s been fantastic, but it has not been horrible. I have met some awesome people here at Shaw. I am also in several different clubs and organizations to help me stay active. Yet, campus life and activities seem to be non-existent. Shaw is located right near downtown Raleigh. The university itself is rich in culture and history. However, there are sometimes where I think to myself why I am even here because it makes no sense. Shaw has shown some improvement since I have been here. Hopefully, my opinion could change over the next year.
I feel the University can be helped so much because without it many HBCUs would not exist. The class sizes are small, some teachers do not take the time to help students which is terrible. It would be a much better school if professors believe in students and they do not treat the students like adults.
Overall, I have loved my expierence here as a Shaw Bear. I do hope the school becomes more organized. It’s unorginzation sometimes causes students unnecessary stress.
I love my school! It’s not to large, the campus is beautiful aside from some minor downfalls, and the faculty and staff make it feel Very welcoming. Two things that can be changed, is the conditions of the dorm facilities, and the cafe food.
If you receive any sort of scholarship from Shaw make sure it is received in writing from the school itself. The school likes to promise the coaches less money than they want to give out. I committed to play soccer at Shaw, and then after the deadline for most colleges, I was informed that my scholarship was cancelled. And it happened to band students in the past. Last but not least it is an absolute chore to contact anybody at the school.
I really enjoyed my time at Shaw University. I really liked the fact that the class size is smaller than bigger colleges/universities. Your professors get to really know you by name and face; you are not just a number at Shaw University.
What most people would say about Shaw is that the athletic and wary dent kid is what makes this school great. Although more student activities would be better for the school, the athletics make up for the school pride. On the education side, classes are not too challenging but teachers will help you if you really want that higher grade. Campus dorms are not the cleanest but the people living in the dorm makes up for the student living. Safety is always an issue on campus. The university will not do anything until an incident happens. Overall the school is pretty decent.
Awesome HBCU!!! Satellite campuses need to be well equipped. A lot of there financial offices don’t have the information needed for tution
My experience at Shaw as a soon to be first year student was good , I love the environment, and how well the staffs knows their student. I would recommend anyone who is looking into a small HBCU to try Shaw.
Start Your Review of Shaw University
I love how diverse Shaw University is, I’ve met many friendly people here and I love the campus its very well put together.
My experience is alright it has its ups and downs. It is what you make it to be. The academics are good and the athletics are fine. It is just the dorms and the food. It needs to be improved a lot if they want people to continue to come here. Due to it not being kept up well a lot of people end up transferring. Some days none of the elevators in the dorm work and some days all of the showers are cold. The food has no type of flavor at all. They don't do anything to improve it.
Shaw University is a prestigious HBCU and the one of the first hbcus in the south in 1865. I love my school and I love the scenery of the town. The professors are fantastic especially my advisor. She has been a professor for a few of my classes and I like her a lot. I wouldn't change anything.