School of Visual Arts Reviews

Finding it financially difficult, but love NYC and learning and seeing a lot. Having access to all the museums and galleries is so enriching. I have made some great friends already. My professors are assigning challenging and creative assignments. I am looking forward to getting more involved in my major in the coming years.
The School of Visual Arts is a wonderful place for every flavor of artist, seeking a higher understanding of art and the business around being an artists of any kind. During my first year, I've learned techniques to better the art I create and how to learn from, collaborate with, and simply talk to other artists, both the classmates as well as the experienced professors.
SVA is a great school, and it has a lot of great teachers. However, it does have negatives: the major departments tend to be disjointed, leading to very differing experiences. Teachers might be a bit of a hit-or-miss, despite the fact that there are many, many great teachers. I would recommend to read many reviews on your teachers before choosing their classes. Still, the classes are very helpful and it's incredibly useful to live in an area where the art scene is so alive. Field trips and galleries enrich your experience. The student body (although some may be immature) is incredibly diverse and invested in their art. It's expensive, especially the housing (it is NYC after all; that's the only part they can't really control), so make sure to think about if it's the place for you before coming; definitely a campus visit before you decide to come.
Review Your College
School of Visual Arts is a school of dedicated, hard-working students who are highly motivated in their focus/major. Each student there works day and night in order to create their best work, working harder and harder towards their ultimate career goal. Not the place to be if you were looking for a typical party school, the students generally prefer to put their hours into their work and enjoy the New York City nightlife in whatever free time they manage to find for themselves. The professors are industry professionals who can give you first-hand advice on portfolios and reels. As an art school, the academics are still focused on the artistic sides of math, science, etc. So it's the perfect school for those wanting to think outside-the-box.
MAKE FRIENDS THE FIRST WEEK OF ORIENTATION. If you don't you are going to be lonely and in your dorm most of the time. There is absolutely no type of social gathering outside of class. The one thing i hate most is that there is no MEAL PLAN. They expect you to cook everything. Really gets annoying because the fridges are so small in the 24th street dorms. And you are not allowed to bring another fridge. If you are in the photography program, you are going broke. You need to pay so much for paper and film. I personally do not think this school is worth the hefty price tag. Really the only good thing is the classes, the teachers are very good and know there stuff
So far, The school of visual arts appears to be a good art school. The professors I have are approachable, and down to earth, and they encourage you to be straightforward about any problems and queries you have. The school itself looks well kept, however, its layout can be problematic, like how one studio and workspace is across Manhattan, and how some rooms are hard to find. Overall, the other students are diverse, open, and friendly, and the schedule I have is very flexible, perfect for if I have work study or a job.
So far it's been a great experience. What you get from any graduate school depends greatly upon what you put into it. The teachers here are there to help you but they can't do so if you don't speak up.
I took summer classes at a local community college during the summer in order to get a few of my humanities requirements out of the way. The process is very simple, and my academic advisor was extremely helpful.
They send out emails about job opportunites and internships every week.
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
I've learned so much in such a short time. Every teacher has their own way of teaching and pick what they decide to teach. I wish I could take everyone's classes.
Get to know the school. There are so many resources availible.
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
Be prepared to never sleep.
It's been a lot of hard work so far, but the professors are all easy to warm up to once you find their charms. They are harsh but not mean, they want you to be good professionals in your field no matter what.
I answered this in the previous two questions
  • Value
I really hope to get a job working as an assistant editor or editor at a company and working on production sets as 1st AC or anything in the camera department. Once I get a job that in comfortable with then I can start paying back my loans and what not. It's been difficult financially but the school is doing its best to help me.
  • Value
I enjoy that the classes aren't as huge as other schools would be so the professor can really work with you with whatever you need. There are like two classes that I didn't enjoy due to the lack of explanation in class from the professors. Making it harder on me. But I still did good in the classes.
I am receiving good amount of help from my professors and classmates by get in small gigs. But it's hard to get a steady job which I'm hoping once I graduate.
Review Your College
My department is Film/Video. I specifically major in the editing side of it. But I am always eager to learn from each side of the production world. As I have mentioned previously, I love the access for editing softwares because it helps me better than working at home on my laptop. All big computers and the space feels great to be around.
I have an had such an amazing past three years so far -- onto my last year! I want to make the best of my thesis year to prove how much I have learned from my classmates and professors. And to make a really great project. I absolutely love this school from the amount of support I have received from all around me. The access for editing labs and the equipment is great. They should include more for camera equipment but still wonderful. I will miss this school so much when I graduate.
Like I said previously, getting a job/internship is possible not only because of the emails you receive, but from the connections you have with your professors, or even with alumni who have found a job in their field.
  • 9 months ago