School of Visual Arts Reviews

The school of visual arts connects you to companies and professionals in the field to help you succeed. They teach you what is relevant in the industry and how to think out of the box. They really teach you how to think.
Another waste of my time, energy and money. I do not recommend most of the courses they offer. I had two of the worst professors I've ever had here, in the Advertising program.
The School of Visual Arts, the best art school in the world. As an International student from Israel, I can say that the school’s stuff was more than fantastic and welcoming. I had some struggles to adapt to study in a new language, but with the help of the Writing Resource Center and the free tutoring classes, My English got so much better. As a photographer, I feel that my skills gained so improved with the help of my awesome studio class teacher and the exciting critics in my workshop class. As an artist, I’ve never felt more connected to my art in this great school at the best location in the world.
Start Your Review of School of Visual Arts
Great program (academics, professors, curriculum) and a really diverse college, but there is no campus. Very expensive too because you're in nyc and there is no meal plan at all with the housing. It's different from other colleges you'd expect, because there are barely any active clubs, activities, campus groups, etc but you sure learn a lot. Be prepared to learn independently.
Its a very nice school. Ive only seen it once to be honest but just with that one time of seeing it i love it so much. Im beyond excited to see all the teachers because most of them have such great reputations.
I am going into the school around the summer, but the only thing I would say that could be changed is balance possibly the addition charge for food.
If you're passionate about your major and career in the art, then this is the school for you. Variety of classes with deciated and experienced Professors that would guide you in your artistic vision. As well the benefit of it being in New York City, where there is many art opportunity and internships. After my 1st year, I learned how much hours and determined is need to show throughout your projects. While you might work long dreaded hours, its all worth it with the critics given and techniques on how to better improve as an artist.
Since I was little, I know New York is a amazing place. All superheros lives in Manhattan Island. Also all Aliens from different planet in entire universe will attack Manhattan Island 10 times per day. Now I understand, all stories is created by man. Students in sva are free to use their imagination to create their own stories. For me, animation can be the strongest way to speak out stories inside of me. thus why I decide studying animation in Manhattan Island. When I have offer from sva everything seems fine and perfect, my dream is going to come true. However there is one last serious problem confuse me. The living consumption in New York is so expensive for me.
The school is old, which has a certain charm to it, the professors are experienced and respectful, the environment is friendly, but it lacks certain character and feel too commercial oriented
Art school vibe. its nice to be surrounded by other artists but it really comes down to what you do outside of school, not only homework. Teachers are nice, first year so i would say decent but we'll see what happens next year. The worst thing though is how expensive it is, no way around it unless you got that money.
They let fine arts slide, which is disappointing.
A few years back, SVA was one of the best fine arts schools in the country.
The school strength is now flashy, commercial graphics.
I can only rate fine arts. A few years ago, it was amazing. Now, the school embraces slick, trendy, cute.
Gone are the days when the great Leon Golub taught here.
The teachers work in the field, and the school is very geared towards finding a job. The diversity of the students is really great, too.
The atmosphere is just great, everyone is so creative and welcoming. The professors aftually take their time to give their lectures and care about the students needs. I never had trouble or difficulty in asking for help because it was just so easy. Everything is so accessible and they have ample supplies to better your work. I love the School of Visual Arts and cant wait to finish getting my BFA there.
Went here for a few months. Left for a combination of health problems and a feeling that I wasn't getting great value for money. Was majoring in photo video. The teachers for my degree were amazing but the humanities teachers left a lot to be desired (I tried switching classes 3 times). The housing was overpriced even for ny. It wasabout 1780 a month for rent which wouldn't be too bad if you weren't sharing a room. If you plan on going here I recommend 3 things. One do early application so you can get priory choosing classes and then use rate my professor to get a decent set. Two apply to other art schools and get scholarship offers then send them to sva and ask them to match it. This is the only way they will offer you a scholarship unless your portfolio is incredible. Three live in Brooklyn and commute you'll save a fortune even with the $130 a month for a metro card. Look on the housing Facebook groups to find roommates.
Overall experience is good and instructors help you out a lot. The administration is not great basically you need to keep track of all of your records, what credits were transferred if you are a transfer student, check progress of your degree, nobody tells you anything you have to figure it out on your own. Tuition is really expensive unless you have someone that pays for it. Working part-time and being a full time student doesn't cover the tuition, even with financial aid and federal loans. Other option is to take out private student loans and that you have to research on your own.
The honors program is amazing and the teachers are genuine and caring! They are passionate for the craft and really bring out your full potential!
Start Your Review of School of Visual Arts
This college offers current an recent graduates the opportunity to network with animation professors, who have or currently work in the top five animation business's.
I absolutely love this school! The professors are great and it's such a close nit community. Definitely worth the money. As a computer art major, the classes are very small and very personal so always get on your professors good side!
I have enjoyed studying at the School of Visual Arts. As a transfer film student, I've been able to advance my knowledge way beyond my education at the university I attended. The professors are well versed in their field and are always willing to help you, so long as you ask.