Founded in 1866, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is one of the most historically significant accredited independent schools of art and design in the world. We are ranked among the top ten art and design schools in the world by QS World University Rankings; we were named “the most influential art college in the United States” by Columbia University’s National Arts Journalism survey; and are ranked among the top 4 graduate fine arts programs in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
SAIC is distinct in providing an interdisciplinary curriculum, cutting-edge facilities, renowned faculty, exceptional resources including the Art Institute of Chicago, and the necessary freedom to develop as artists, designers and scholars.
Foremost, SAIC is about students. We are dedicated to providing a complete liberal arts education as well as the arts and design education that will serve our alumni throughout their multifaceted careers.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.44 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.46 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.45 responses
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio
One of SAIC’s most distinguishing features is our interdisciplinary curriculum. At SAIC you will not declare a "major" and you will not be bound to work in a single discipline! Students have the creative freedom to explore and customize their education among our 18 departments, and are always free to choose the appropriate media to best realize their visions.
- of students say they don't have Greek life.57 responses
- of students say no one pays attention to varsity sports.61 responses
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.34 responses