3,539 reviews
  1. San Jose, CA
  2. 4 Year

San Jose State University Reviews

3,539 reviews
Loved my time at SJSU! My professors were amazing and very knowledgeable. They kept up with current trends and really went above and beyond for the students in my teaching credential program.
I attended San Jose State University all 4 years for my undergraduate career. I enjoyed the hot weather and diverse environment. This school offers many clubs and greek organizations on campus that is available for various types of people. What I liked most about San Jose State University was the campus library and location. It is located right off of the 280 freeway and downtown San Jose was just a few blocks away from the campus. The library stands 8 floors high, with study rooms available on each floor for groups or individual study. There are also many places to eat around campus, as well as nightlife such as clubs and bars that are close by. San Jose State recently finished their construction and has a great display of new buildings and amenities for students to enjoy. Because San Jose State University is located in close proximity to the downtown area, many homeless people tend to walk near or on the outskirts of campus.
San Jose State University offers an excellent, progressive, inclusive environment, socially and academically. They offer numerous student organizations with a diverse community. There are plenty of campus resources in addition to community resources for all those who are in need. Definitely recommend for those looking for an open-minded, positive, supportive place.
Review Your College
It was an alright school. Unless you lived in the dorms or know people at the dorms you wouldn't know what was going on campus. People keep to themselves most of the time and a lot of teachers seem to only be there just to be there. Other than that, it is a public school be careful it is not as safe of a campus due to a lot of homeless people living there and countless alert texts. Lastly, school lacks funding and major budget cuts, which means it's harder to get classes and you got to make sure you get priority because you wont get the classes you need if you dont!
It is an amazing campus. I've visited this campus quite some time now and had enjoy my experience each and every time.
Small, great campus. May need some updates to buildings. Best for Engineering and Business. For other majors, look elsewhere.
San Jose State University is located in downtown San Jose, within easy walking distance of entertainment and shopping. The university is highly focused within its majors, and offers classes that well prepare students for a career-- both in education and connections.
I am an art major in spatial (sculptural) arts.I am in my second semester of my graduate program. I have enjoyed the classes I have taken so far. The teachers here are really interested in your success.
San Jose State University is an amazing school. They have various different programs, clubs, events, etc that can make you feel at home. All of the teachers that I have had offered me all the help they could give. The campus is diverse and accepting and I never feel like I don't belong.
The school experience is what you make of it. Lots of diversity, great professor/mentor support if you seek it out.
My exeperience at San Jose State is amazing the teachers are very helpful they let you know when their able to give you a one on one time conversations. As well as let you know what resources are avaliable for you to use free of cost. Along with trying to make your experience as comfortable and easy as possible as they can.Which is great because in a class of 500 student or more it's hard to answer everyone's question and needs.
SJSU have lot to offer to their students. As a student myself, I enjoy visiting to the MLK library where I can be able to work, study, and hang out with my friends. I also love going to the SJSU Art building. All artist students comes from various states and have different art backgrounds. The art professors are also helpful teaching and mentoring the students on developing their skills. One thing that SJSU should change is to provide more art classes as well as finding more art facilities.
I like the downtown area surrounding San Jose State. There is always something to do and to eat in the late hours. I would like to see dorm improvements such as new furniture in the common rooms.
If I could go back in time, I definitely would've gone to another school. The culture he is not that great, no real sense of community, and often times the administrators are incompetent.
Although San Jose State University is rated high for its physical sciences departments, it seems that it's graduate courses are lacking. Some of the professors should have retired and teach out-dated course material. Even though many professors really know their course material, they cannot teach and are highly unorganized, unprepared for their classes and end up inflating grades to compensate for their students not understanding the subject matter.
San Jose State University is an amazing place academically and socially. This college has classes that help you understand and give you multiple study and tutor opportunities. There are plenty social events to help students unwind and meet new friends.
San Jose State made my first year in college enjoyable. All the professors were, in their own way, interesting and well versed in their respective professions. The dwellings emit a comforting aura, whether it's the new or old buildings. There's not much to not like in San Jose State.
Review Your College
I love all my professors and I have learned a lot in all my classes. The campus is beautiful and most of the people I have met have been super friendly. There are plenty of clubs and organizations that you can get involved with. The only reason I marked it as four stars instead of five is because it can be confusing figuring out what classes you need, and the advisors are not very helpful with that. Also the housing on and around campus costs an arm and a leg! But the college is located right in the city, so there is plenty to do in the area and a lot of it is within walking distance!
San Jose State University is one of the most diverse campuses I have had the pleasure to explore and be involved in. Many of the students came from the bay area while a majority of the remaining students came from Southern California such as myself. This gave me a taste of home and a deeper feeling of a new experience by being surrounded by being surrounded by such a variety. Getting an on-campus job at the student cafeteria exposed me to even more. I met students who were studying abroad and came from all across the world. They shared their many experiences living out of the country and adjusting to here. They were ecstatic to experience such a different culture and environment here on our campus that it not only made me want to get out of the country, but also allowed me to better appreciate my campus and the diversity that comes with it.
My overall experience with SJSU so far has been fairly well. As far as the academics go, I have been taught a lot, and the teachers are very good in pertaining to the needs of each student. As for the school itself, it can be a little bit scary because of all the sexual assault incidents that have been going around on campus.