Rice University Reviews

When I first got to Rice I was mind blown I had never seen something so beautiful in my life and then to find out that the classes here are amazing just made me want to come here more
This is an amazing university filled with friendly and educated people around every corner. It also does not hurt that the campus is one of the most beautiful that I have ever been on. There are trees everywhere. Nearly everywhere you go, you are surrounded by nature and owls!
First of all, Rice is full of the kindest people that you will meet. Unlike other research universities, Rice does not promote a competitive environment, and the students often help each other in shared classes (and academics are tough, so the help is very much appreciated!!). Professors are usually hit or miss, depending on department, but most of them are great. And I cannot recommend the residential college system enough. It creates small, tightly-knit communities within the larger university and a home for all 4 years. Some complain that their res college can be stifling, but it's really up to you if you feel the need/desire to make friends outside (or within) your college. Like everything, it's what you make it!
Start Your Review of Rice University
Wonderful student community and student-centered environment. Many classes are less than 20 students, allowing for more personalized learning.
I am intern at Rice University over the summer. The whole campus is gorgeous and has tons of things to do on it even though it is in the summer. There are so many places and things near and in side of the campus that you'll never run out of things to do. In addition, the people and environment at rice is extremely friendly and welcoming.
The atmosphere of the school, especially in the CS courses, is super collaborative and heart-warming. The dorms are in general pretty comfortable, but more work could be done to tear down the old buildings and replace them with newer ones. Food is great for awhile but then you might get bored of it.
I am a rising college freshman and have only heard the best things regarding Rice. From the rigorous academics to the stellar student life, I could not ask for more, except maybe that it could be a little closer to home. Regardless, I can't wait to join my future family, as well as become acquainted with the surrounding community.
The campus provides the perfect environment while the academics are extremely diverse and rigorous. It is very encouraged to follow your passions and the distribution system allows you to explore courses outside your major. There are a variety of programs and plenty of advising along the way, from academic advising to peer mentorship. Student life is good although it is difficult to travel into the city without a car. Food on campus is health and delicious.
When I compare my experience with friends at other schools, I can't complain. There's a lot to nitpick on, but there's a lot at other schools, too. Here's the thing: I'm getting a quality education from great professors, great students, great facilities, great opportunities. If a college can do that and do it well, then it's done its job.

I know everyone today expects more (A+ food, A+ dorms, A+ party scene, A+ happiness, A+ a**-wiping, A+ to every kid...), but these are institutions of higher learning, not resorts. That said, some places are indeed good for some types of people and others for other types. Prioritize smartly and get feedback from students/alums; then repeat for other schools.

Me, I actually came here because of Houston, based on people, housing affordability, career opportunities, quality of life, weather, etc. And Austin/Dallas. I was lucky enough to get in (with scholarship). When I did, I rechecked my priorities and pulled the trigger. Best decision ever.
Amazing opportunities, great location. The residential system is definitely what sold me to the university and it it definitely what makes the school's social scene so collaborative and encouraging.
Diverse campus with various research opportunities, hardworking smart and kind students, and easily reachable professors
I'm 3/4 the way through my freshman year at Rice, and I love it so far. Rice's shining qualities are its academic rigor and the welcoming nature of the community. Rice students work so hard and they are so happy to include you in anything they're doing. Culture of Care is real, and it's so easy to make friends.
The best university in Texas no doubt. one of the few universities that can compete with the ivy,that's why some people say that it is the southern harvard.
Rice University caters to a specific type of student. Students are academically limited by sparse major/minor options and limited class offerings per semester. If you know without a doubt that you'd like to be an engineer or doctor, Rice could be a good fit for you. Beyond those, you may prefer a university with more options - or less of a negative stigma toward non-STEM majors. Rice does a great job of guiding you through your undergraduate career, but this may come off as patronizing for more independent students. The college system is a good support base, but in practice limits social life to your residential college. The stereotype of students staying "behind the hedges" is largely based on fact - students don't typically venture beyond Rice Village (a small plaza next to campus). While they may advertise themselves as a creative, "unconventional" university, Rice doesn't cater to a creative student, and you definitely feel the effects of such a small undergraduate population.
I've personally always loved my experience there. The atmosphere is so open and friendly, and the community among the student is completely accepting. You're constantly provided with opportunities to not only get to know your Owl family but also give back to the city around you.
The campus is so much different than Houston; it's like its own little town. Regardless, they really work to make you feel like you're at home and help you explore Houston.
The professors are kind and helpful, and the classes challenge you in just the right ways.
If you value dedication to your community along with dedication to your education, Rice is the place for you. :)
I really enjoyed the residential college system of the college because they let the students fully enjoy and emerge in a close environment. The residential college also allows students to interact and spend more time with each other. Rice's material science and engineering also attracts me because they offer one of the best research labs in the country for studying material science.
Rice is a great place to be when it comes to academics and student life! The professors genuinely care about their students and want to see them excel. Based in Houston, the opportunities that Rice students receive are unparalleled.
Start Your Review of Rice University
As a current junior at Rice, I’m here to tell you that the #1 Quality of Life rating is a lie. Many students are depressed or suffer from anxiety due to overly stressful classes, students rarely get to explore Houston (which is a shame, considering all the great restaurants and art there is in Houston), and the administration and teachers rarely listen to students’ complaints and suggestions. While there are a sizable number of students that are able to thrive in the very intense environment Rice cultivates, I would say an equally sizable number of students do not. Much of the image of Rice that is portrayed on sites like these is not real. The students, while generally a very nice group, are subvertly competitive, comparing internships and lack of sleep and number of friends and how very, very busy they are. The teaching excellence that Rice was once known for has fallen on the wayside.
I love everything about my school! It was my first choice and I feel really lucky to have gotten in. It's really rigorous and the curriculum challenges me a lot but I'm still very happy with my decision to come here.
Rice is not the school for me. Students are incredibly career-orientated and most are not interesting in learning. Until 1960, it was Rice Institue, which is a much more apt title. The school and its students care very little for disciplines that are not pre-med, comp sci, or engineering. Most people are very nice and friendly, but academics are overly-intense and there's little variety in the social scene. Still, I did really like my classes and professors.