Rice University Reviews

Rice is a great university! It has an amazing pre-med program (on largest medical complex in the world) and truly outstanding student life. They are very generous with their scholarships (I received a $25,000 merit scholarship). Great community.
Rice University has been the perfect school for me. Not only are the academics stellar (small class sizes once you get into your major, deep relationships with faculty who care about teaching), but the social atmosphere of the residential colleges is unbeatable. If you're looking for a campus that's proud of its diversity and inclusiveness, while having top-notch academics in every field, choose Rice! You won't regret it.
Its a great school, beautiful campus, great academics.
However, the students are not all as happy as they are advertised to be. The students are very competitive which creates a toxic environment at times.
Review Rice University
***PART 3
furthest one from central campus. The shuttle system is actually nice and is very convenient, but why so expensive? And make sure you watch out for that Parking Enforcement golf cart because they are searching.

Do. Not. Go. To. Rice. If. You. Have. Any. Experience. In. Partying. The 'party scene' is very repetitive. The music is always EDM or dubstep and you see the same thing at every, single, one. A keg thats all foam, drunk, socially awkward students who have probably never seen the opposite sex naked in person, and random people trying to hook up for that particular night. So, if you're into one night stands, apply to Rice.

Dorms are trash. I don't understand how we're ranked 6th on this website in terms of dorms/housing. There are only a select few that would even be considered in a debate of being above average, and that's if you get lucky and get placed into that 'college'. (I was one of the lucky ones.)
***PART 2
love it and the culture it brings, or you really dislike it and you start to become bitter and despise the fact that you're here AND slowly but surely start to become a more down and negative person.

Now, Rice does offer stimulating courses and within my first year here I've realized you can sit and enjoy what the classes have to offer or you can simply finesse the system and cheat your way through. Alot of the regular students overload themselves because they feel that getting done early will make them the most successful or something like that, I don't really care. The classes can be extremely difficult however, like borderline impossible for some. And because of my athletic status, I didn't take the AP courses in high school or the higher level classes majority of the non-athletes have already taken.

Lets address the parking at Rice. Every lot has a price, there's no 'one permit, park anywhere' deal at Rice. The cheapest lot I believe is about $400 and that's the
***PART 1
I would like to start this out by stating I made the worst/best decision of my life by attending Rice University, and I'll explain. This review is going to be formatted more as a rant, than a structured review, so bear with me. For starters, I didn't even know what Rice was until my junior year of high school and I was being recruited to play football, and boy are our coaches a bunch of salesmen. The campus is very nice, I won't discredit that, but is it worth the scenery? I have read all of the 'terrible' and 'poor' reviews and they are pretty much all true. However, to counter the athletic argument, none of the athletes feel wanted because we know the non-athlete students either a) don't like us b) don't care for us, or c) envy us because majority of the athletes here are on scholarship and are here for athletics rather than our grades.

And I'm a firm believer in the fact that there is no in between on how you feel about Rice, you either
Academics are great. Social aspect is what you make it. The food options on campus are limited and sometimes there is literally nowhere open at random times of the day. Parking is meh. Campus is beautiful. But there is no way for you to choose your dorm- it's a lottery system and you pay the same price for old dorms built in the 50s with communal bathrooms than you do for the nice dorms. It's not a fair process.

If you want a big university experience and care about sports, then this isn't the place for you. But if you want a great education at a small private school and you do well in close-knit social situations then it's a good place.
Rice University is a very friendly place, in a quiet area. You will always see nearby residents or students walking around the campus. It is located in a centralized area, so it is about the same distance to all other major hospitals or suburbs.
This school is only a good fit for a rare type of student. Some love it, but those who hate it truly despise it and succumb to pure bitterness. The administration is trying to improve the atmosphere by limiting the maximum number of credit hours, setting up sexual assault prevention programs, etc., but the student body is hopeless. The students are nice overall but imbalanced, prone to alcoholism on this wet campus, and unable to care for themselves (poor eating/sleeping habits). Combine this immaturity with the grade deflation policies, which limit the number of students who can earn an "A" in certain classes to 15%, and students have breakdowns. I wish I had attended a state school with no hyper-competitiveness and normal students.
Rice is incredible. The people are so friendly and collaborative, and the residential college system gives you an automatic support system and built-in friends/family. While people are smart, the atmosphere is close-knit and not cutthroat, which I've come to realize is hugely important when I hear my friends at other top universities talk about the pressure and competition they suffer through. The academics aren't easy- especially the STEM programs, which are structured to be some of the most rigorous in the country, but that's why we have such a good reputation and ease with post-graduation placements. Compared to other colleges, there's a lot of freedom with social life/partying and distribution requirements. Overall, the campus is beautiful and quality of life (dorms/food/area) very high. I love Rice and wouldn't go anywhere else!
Great University on a beautiful campus. Challenging but worth the effort.
Facilities are good and the professors care about their students.
Rice University was a wonderful undergraduate experience for me. As a smaller institution (enrollment of approx 3,000), Rice provides smaller class sizes and direct access/relationships with professors. Over time, this afforded me very close and lasting relationships that I could use for advice, recommendations and greater connection into the community. Additionally, the campus is beautiful. Dubbed "behind the hedges" in Houston, Texas, Rice is loved in the heart of the museum/medical district in a growing metropolitan city. This provides easy access to the arts, sciences and recreations of Houston, while maintaining a large and beautiful campus that feels quiet and insular from the city as well. Campus housing is great, where students are guaranteed 3 of 4 years housing in modern mixed-sex dormitories. And the campus is large enough to include intramural fields and recreation facilities that take less than 10 minutes to reach from any point on campus.
An absolutely breathtaking campus that has the most caring and close-knit community that I don't think I could get anywhere else. The RA and residential college headmaster systems at Rice also creates really unique faculty-student relationships.
Love this place! People are so interesting here. Everyone I know is inventing something or writing a book or starting a charity, etc. All of my professors are outstanding; they are experts in their field as well as amazing teachers.
I've really enjoyed Rice so far. Everyone seems friendly here, and there is a strong sense of community, which I think has to do with the college system. You can become very close with people within your own college, where I've made a lot of my friends.

The dorms are nice; which type you get depends on which college you get assigned to.

From my experience so far, the academics are good and challenging. It gets pretty competitive in some areas, especially as a pre-med. The professors are generally approachable and willing to help out their students.
Rice University is truly a wonderful place. Besides the amazing formal education, there are so many other opportunities to learn through people, experiences, and conversations taking place outside of the classroom.
Socially, the residential colleges were co-ed frats through which I made lots of friends that I will keep for the rest of my life. The new dorms were nice, spacious, and food was decent.

Classes were intense and workload was heavy, and since pre-meds are everywhere, grade deflation may be practiced at times in some classes, which hurts a bit. Professors were mixed - some were amazing teachers, while others were clearly research-first and didn't know students by name even in <20-person classes. However, the latter were also people I learned a lot with when I started working in labs, so I think it made up for it (small student-to-faculty ratios ensured that anybody who wanted to work in a lab typically got to do it).

Athletics events were a bit quiet, but I still liked to go to them to support our teams; it's just unfortunate that the student body isn't overall into this, so crowds at games other than baseball tend to be small. Our terrible conference affiliation does not help either.
Review Rice University
Rice is a fabulous school. A smart, interesting, and diverse student body, dedicated professors, amazing academics, the residential college system, and a not-too-small but not-too-big student population overall create a university that anyone applying to colleges would be sorry to pass over without further research. Everyone I talk to here says this is the college for them, and they cannot imagine being happier anywhere else.
I definitely could not have made a better choice than deciding to come here. The residential college system helps new students develop strong friendships with each other and acts as a source of support when needed. Although classes are hard, it's easy to reach out for help when you need it; the professors are extremely helpful and are willing to help you out if you're willing to ask for it. TL;DR. Rice University is absolutely amazing and I could not be happier at any other school.
Rice is amazing. Very collaborative atmosphere. Extremely diverse student body. Professors who really care that their students succeed.