Rice University Reviews

The architecture is beautiful! The housing system is such a unique and interesting system, the best kind of college for Harry Potter nerds. It is very flexible in the kinds of classes you take, and they take into account financial need. They are also very advocate for a well rounded student body, which is something I like to see in a school.
The library is an excellent place to study or work if you need a quiet environment. The central restaurant has really great sandwiches and smoothies.
Rice University provides a welcoming environment for students as well as visitors. I believe there is no need to change anything and would prefer if the campus stays as it is.
Start Your Review of Rice University
Rice is absolutely the best place on the planet to attend university. Not only are the academics top notch, but the way people interact creates a genuine, open, and welcoming environment. I've been driven and motivated by my classes, formed relationships with my professors and other faculty that have been invaluable, and gotten to know amazing people amongst my peers.
Rice University is a truly wonderful school with very welcoming and warm people. Everyone sort of marches to the beat of their own drum at Rice, which is inspiring and a very different experience for me. Everyone here is very smart and works very hard, but everyone (or nearly everyone) parties just as hard. My dorm is gorgeous (I am at McMurtry college), and the food is top notch!
I love Rice, it's so amazing and I think I absolutely made the right choice in college. It is a small campus comparatively, but having that few students really gives you a chance to shine.
Rice has all the academics and resources of a large university, but it has the familiarity and culture of a smaller community. It really is the best of both worlds thanks to the residential college system.
PART 1
I don't really know how I feel about attending Rice. In hindsight, I would choose a different college; but now that I'm here, I don't think transferring is worth it.
TLDR; There's generally one specific type of person who enjoys Rice and benefits from it: a socially awkward, career driven, immature, closet studier.
Coming to Rice, I was really excited to be attending a prestigious university that is more collaborative. I was pretty wrong.
1. Rice students are liars (when it comes to academics). It's not really cool to look like you're studying too hard so everyone will tell you about how easy something is and how you won't need to study. That's when you fail, and those others were hiding off somewhere studying their little booties off to get a perfect score. Unless you're a premed......
Great school, with challenging courses having the ability to prevent one from resting on their laurels. A small group of students in an urban environment for the city slickers, but beware of Houston and its humid environs.
Rice is a great university! It has an amazing pre-med program (on largest medical complex in the world) and truly outstanding student life. They are very generous with their scholarships (I received a $25,000 merit scholarship). Great community.
Rice University has been the perfect school for me. Not only are the academics stellar (small class sizes once you get into your major, deep relationships with faculty who care about teaching), but the social atmosphere of the residential colleges is unbeatable. If you're looking for a campus that's proud of its diversity and inclusiveness, while having top-notch academics in every field, choose Rice! You won't regret it.
Its a great school, beautiful campus, great academics.
However, the students are not all as happy as they are advertised to be. The students are very competitive which creates a toxic environment at times.
***PART 3
furthest one from central campus. The shuttle system is actually nice and is very convenient, but why so expensive? And make sure you watch out for that Parking Enforcement golf cart because they are searching.

Do. Not. Go. To. Rice. If. You. Have. Any. Experience. In. Partying. The 'party scene' is very repetitive. The music is always EDM or dubstep and you see the same thing at every, single, one. A keg thats all foam, drunk, socially awkward students who have probably never seen the opposite sex naked in person, and random people trying to hook up for that particular night. So, if you're into one night stands, apply to Rice.

Dorms are trash. I don't understand how we're ranked 6th on this website in terms of dorms/housing. There are only a select few that would even be considered in a debate of being above average, and that's if you get lucky and get placed into that 'college'. (I was one of the lucky ones.)
***PART 2
love it and the culture it brings, or you really dislike it and you start to become bitter and despise the fact that you're here AND slowly but surely start to become a more down and negative person.

Now, Rice does offer stimulating courses and within my first year here I've realized you can sit and enjoy what the classes have to offer or you can simply finesse the system and cheat your way through. Alot of the regular students overload themselves because they feel that getting done early will make them the most successful or something like that, I don't really care. The classes can be extremely difficult however, like borderline impossible for some. And because of my athletic status, I didn't take the AP courses in high school or the higher level classes majority of the non-athletes have already taken.

Lets address the parking at Rice. Every lot has a price, there's no 'one permit, park anywhere' deal at Rice. The cheapest lot I believe is about $400 and that's the
***PART 1
I would like to start this out by stating I made the worst/best decision of my life by attending Rice University, and I'll explain. This review is going to be formatted more as a rant, than a structured review, so bear with me. For starters, I didn't even know what Rice was until my junior year of high school and I was being recruited to play football, and boy are our coaches a bunch of salesmen. The campus is very nice, I won't discredit that, but is it worth the scenery? I have read all of the 'terrible' and 'poor' reviews and they are pretty much all true. However, to counter the athletic argument, none of the athletes feel wanted because we know the non-athlete students either a) don't like us b) don't care for us, or c) envy us because majority of the athletes here are on scholarship and are here for athletics rather than our grades.

And I'm a firm believer in the fact that there is no in between on how you feel about Rice, you either
Academics are great. Social aspect is what you make it. The food options on campus are limited and sometimes there is literally nowhere open at random times of the day. Parking is meh. Campus is beautiful. But there is no way for you to choose your dorm- it's a lottery system and you pay the same price for old dorms built in the 50s with communal bathrooms than you do for the nice dorms. It's not a fair process.

If you want a big university experience and care about sports, then this isn't the place for you. But if you want a great education at a small private school and you do well in close-knit social situations then it's a good place.
Rice University is a very friendly place, in a quiet area. You will always see nearby residents or students walking around the campus. It is located in a centralized area, so it is about the same distance to all other major hospitals or suburbs.
Start Your Review of Rice University
This school is only a good fit for a rare type of student. Some love it, but those who hate it truly despise it and succumb to pure bitterness. The administration is trying to improve the atmosphere by limiting the maximum number of credit hours, setting up sexual assault prevention programs, etc., but the student body is hopeless. The students are nice overall but imbalanced, prone to alcoholism on this wet campus, and unable to care for themselves (poor eating/sleeping habits). Combine this immaturity with the grade deflation policies, which limit the number of students who can earn an "A" in certain classes to 15%, and students have breakdowns. I wish I had attended a state school with no hyper-competitiveness and normal students.
Rice is incredible. The people are so friendly and collaborative, and the residential college system gives you an automatic support system and built-in friends/family. While people are smart, the atmosphere is close-knit and not cutthroat, which I've come to realize is hugely important when I hear my friends at other top universities talk about the pressure and competition they suffer through. The academics aren't easy- especially the STEM programs, which are structured to be some of the most rigorous in the country, but that's why we have such a good reputation and ease with post-graduation placements. Compared to other colleges, there's a lot of freedom with social life/partying and distribution requirements. Overall, the campus is beautiful and quality of life (dorms/food/area) very high. I love Rice and wouldn't go anywhere else!
Great University on a beautiful campus. Challenging but worth the effort.
Facilities are good and the professors care about their students.