Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is ...
NCAA Division III (with football)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Affordable fixed or variable rates
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Loans from community lenders that put people before profits
- Easy, online app with ability to add a cosigner in minutes
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.58 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.64 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.64 responses
Most Popular Majors
Mechanical Engineering190 Graduates
Computer Science133 Graduates
Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering97 Graduates
Chemical Engineering82 Graduates
Electrical and Electronics Engineering81 Graduates
Aerospace Engineering78 Graduates
Business Administration and Management67 Graduates
Computer Systems Technician54 Graduates
Civil Engineering53 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 38 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.76 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.87 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 34 responsesReport
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.45 responses
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Reviews
The school is very challenging academically, but it's well worth it in the end. Most professors are very willing to help their students succeed. Something I do not like about the school is that much of your grades are dependent on the professor you get. This causes many students to drop or withdraw from classes to get a different, more experienced professor the next time around. Of course how much effort a student puts in will truly be what determines their grades, but getting specific professors for certain courses does make a difference. The food is decent. The dining hall food isn't great, but the food in the student union is delicious. The people are very friendly at RPI and everyone is very smart. Sports and clubs are very big at the school and there is something for everyone.
Academics are very difficult here, but the degree is worth it. You'll come out of RPI really knowing your field. Parties are mostly through Greek Life, so it can be tricky to find parties or to get in if you are unaffiliated. The majority of people probably don't party. Campus is in a great location, short walk from downtown Troy, and the city bus service is free to students. There is so much to do at RPI and no matter who you are you'll always find a group to fit in with!
Rensselaer is a great school, don't get me wrong, but it is waaaaayyyy too expensive. At $71,000 per year with an inflation rate of about $2,000 per year, it is more expensive than even Ivy League schools. Now that being said, if you are into music, you are nerdy, and you like video games, then this school is for you!