Portland State University Reviews

2,137 reviews
Though you don't get a stereotypical college experience from PSU, there are countless pros to this school. It is widely diverse and accepting of all demographics and backgrounds. The campus is gorgeous and student housing is clean and kept well, but very strict. Staff are accommodating and the professors are kind and available. Parties are kind of hard to come by and athletics aren't huge but the location in downtown Portland is unbeatable; definitely worth a tour or visit.
Through my experience of attending Portland State University, they have friendly staff members as well as a diverse community of students. What I would like to see as far as changes go in Portland State are the advisers there who work there. I've been in the advisory department many times in attempt for a better adviser, but none of them was able to really help me understand my future plans and schedules.
Portland State has a vibrant student community. The school is in the midst of a thriving city, which has abundant diversity. The classes are great, as are the teachers. The athletic programs are not so well attended. Classes are easy to get, and there is great flexibility in meeting schedule demands.
Review Portland State University
Returning to Portland State University after a considerable absence has been a far easier, stress-free experience than I expected. The administrators and advisers have been quite helpful and gracious. Classes are as expected: university level with skilled professors. I highly recommend for mature/returning students.
Lots of resources, wonderful professors, large variety of courses. The computer science program is challenging but really prepares you well for industry. If you graduate, you will get a great job right out of school. The criminology program was wonderful.
It has some great faculty members and is downtown, so you have access to a great deal of good food and entertainment resources.
Overall, this was a good school and I got a good education (sciences and liberal arts) that's allowed me to land a couple of really great jobs. There's a lot of adjunct faculty/instructors, so it can be hard to develop lasting academic relationships with professors. Their advising department is especially lacking, though the folks who work there seem to have a good heart. I think this is a good school if you know what you want to do (e.g. medicine, business), but I would choose another university or college if you're more undecided.
amazing... heard that teachers are amazing and that its not stressful if you work for it. consider finishing in 4 years
Portland State University is very welcoming to transfer students. There are a lot of valuable resources to students. Overall, it's a great school to end. They really look after the student's experience and success. I would like to see their student housing program improve. I'd like to see their housing assigned sooner.
Being at the university setting felt great. I was only there for one term but I quickly met new people. This is somewhat of a big university so it was a little overwhelming at first. Portland State has a ton of great programs to chose from.
I moved from Kennewick, Washington to Portland, Oregon to attend school at Portland State University!

I started at Portland State University during the Fall 2011 Term. I received a Bachelor of Science degree: Major in Psychology and Minor in Community Health Education.

In regards to the location of Portland State University: I absolutely love that the campus is in Downtown Portland! There are always fun activities happening either on campus or outside of campus.

In regards to the academic atmosphere, it is extremely supportive.

Love this school so much that I am now getting my masters in social work!
Portland State University is located in downtown Portland, Oregon which is home to food carts, trendy coffee bars, and great people watching. The teachers actually care about their students and the counselors are typically quick to respond. The parking is atrocious and the lack of classes offered online is a bit disappointing, but overall PSU is great choice.
It takes to warm up to this school. Great for International studies students. It is not the typical college, but great for introverted people. I suggest it for people who are local to portland and do not want to spend a fortune on housing, or tuition.
I moved to Portland from Salt Lake City Utah. I decided to go to Portland State because of the reputation of the business program. I feel like the business program has an excellent record and chooses top field professors which helps considerably because the teachers are very knowledgable about career paths and opportunities. Outside of the Business program however I think Portland State is a very mediocre school, with very intense quirky, niche political views. The school is not a traditional four year University, that being said it all depends on what you are looking for.
Portland State University is pretty great for the most part. The only thing that really bothers me is the additional fees we have to pay no matter what even if we don't use what we are forced to pay for.
Portland State was certainly not as I expected it to be from previous campus experiences. It is a city college where the campus is integrated into the downtown Portland area and business are mixed in with where some of your classes may be. I enjoyed seeing the different themed dorms as well as their recreational center.
Personally I like the college. It is cheaper and still pretty good. No complaints. I would recommend this college to others.
Review Portland State University
This is a university is great, it's a small in city campus, right in the heart of downtown Portland. This school helps you get a job right away, since we are in the heart of portland we have access to OHSU, business in and around downtown.
I have really enjoyed my experience with Portland State University. It is a beautiful campus that is filled with diversity. I have had the opportunity to use all the buildings on campus and they are fairly easy to navigate. Of course, the only issue is transportation since parking can get pretty cramped but I always suggest going early and snagging a spot. The teachers that I've had in the business and accounting department are AMAZING. I personally don't like to be on campus at night because walking in between buildings can be sketchy with some of Portland's residents walking by..
The teachers are a mixed bag, but I feel like I have plenty of resources to figure things out around me.