Portland State University Reviews

2,170 reviews
I like the school and campus, but I don't like the fact that they make up their own General Ed because a lot of my credit from community college didn't transfer. They also are not very organized at all in admissions, financial aid, or residency. I had to bug them about my admission before fall term. They did not let me know that they were waiting on documents from me, I had to ask them several times. They also cancelled my application for no reason and I finally got it approved before the very last orientation for the term. It's December and I still haven't got my financial aid or loan because they failed to tell me that I need my high school transcripts when they sent me notice that they need my high school diploma. I just barely got my residency status changed after waiting almost two months. They only changed it because I kept emailing them.
Usually, I would give this school at least three stars. Good classes, good professors, etc. However, the housing and staff associated with housing is absolutely TERRIBLE. It's extremely expensive for what it is, and almost every staff member I have met is very rude and wants nothing but your money. There is a minimum $100 fine for any violation. Quiet hours are 10:00 every day of the week, and the RA's do "rounds" from 10-10:30 and 12-12:30 every night. If anything can be heard from outside your door, the RA's come in, search your room (with our without permission), and write up everybody in the room. And if you're written up for noise more than 2 times, you will be kicked out of your room with only two days to find a place to go, and you are never allowed back in the building. Half of my floor alone is one write up away from being kicked out, and none of us have been written up for anything but noise! If you do come to PSU, STAY AWAY FROM STUDENT HOUSING!!
Portland State University is a great sustainable and forward moving college. A lot of the teachers worked in the city and have great industry knowledge. Being near the heart of Portland, PSU provides in-depth knowledge and insight to the community. Academics, programs, and administration are amazing. Advisers work above and beyond for their students. The local food carts also make for a great campus living experience!
Start Your Review of Portland State University
I like the seasons, just experiencing all the seasons. And I like how most things are walking distance, and you don't have to pay a bunch of money for transportation. And I also love the no sales tax.
The diversity in this school is the best i've seen so far. If you're seeking any form of help, there never fails to be someone more than willing to help you.
If you like to study in an urban environment and convenient system of transportation, this would be a good fit
I am currently a freshman attending Portland State University and I can honestly say it's not what I expected, but not necessarily in a bad way. Being in downtown Portland the campus is much different from the average 4-year universities' and is always busy. The students are quite diverse and the faculty has been excellent. It is a great place to come learn and start or better your life. Overall I have been enjoying my time at PSU and can only hope for the best in the future!
The university has very good resources for students who need to find work and supplement their food stores. Professors are generally accessible and want you to succeed. Social life seems a bit difficult to figure out here, since the campus is a bit decentralized.
Highly diverse student body. Also, PSU's environmental standards for building construction are awesome. So far, the teachers seem quite nice, and the class sizes are small. However, the college is downtown, and getting around the campus is a pain.
Portland State has been a good experience for me. I commute meaning I am not as involved with the campus events and residence life but the academics is good, the professors are all passionately involved and experienced in what they teach.
Portland State has been nothing but good to me. I was welcomed into a campus full of diversity with open arms and the feeling of being in the right place grows everyday. Portland State has a lot to offer both academically and socially and I can't wait to see what these next four years have to offer!
Some of the professors are fantastic and some seem like they don't have the first idea how to teach. Especially in the intro classes of the foreign languages, I've repeatedly run into native speaker instructors who are terrible teachers, tending to just follow along rote with the book or their power points rather than stopping to assess the students' comprehension along the way or come up with better exercises to stretch our conversation skills or even explaining basic grammar. If we just wanted to read the textbook by ourselves and get our entire learning that way, why be in a class with a professor? The point is to receive knowledge from the instructor, not just be left on our own.
I like how diverse the students are, it really makes you see how everyone is different and that you are just a small part of the world. I also love the campus, it right in the middle of a major city so there's lots of exploring to do. I like how it is slightly a bigger campus, because you never have the same people in class. However this can also be intimidating because you want everyone to know who you are, but you are never able to meet EVERYONE.
Diverse campus and very beautiful, right in the city with lots of options for food and fun. Classes are great and it is easy to get to where you need to be.
I love the campus! the professors I have dealt with so far have been amazing! I wish there was more scholarship money for the Arts programs.
So far everything about PSU seems great! Affordable, convenient and there is a lot to do in the area. I have not started classes quite yet, but I have toured all the buildings, talk to many people and done my research. There are many technology businesses in Portland, and for a burgeoning mechanical engineer this is a perfect setting. Not only for jobs later, but for internships now! Beautiful city and school!
The diversity of the campus is what makes it unique. The instructors are engaging and care about the students learning and curriculum they teach!
Start Your Review of Portland State University
Campus life is alright, better if you live on campus. Incredibly pricey for an average education. Lots of pressure to belong to multiple clubs or associations. Sorority barely receives attention. Sports aren't over glorified. Very diverse, educationally and population-wise.
I have enjoyed Portland State, the academics are amazing. I feel the professors treat everyone with respect and encourage them to do their best. I have learned so much and wouldn't have wanted to go to any other school. It is a top rated business school and has some unique and specific fields that no other universities in Oregon have. There isn't much of a party scene there, and the student population is a bit older than the other largest universities in Oregon. The food on campus is amazing, there are restaurants everywhere and two large food cart clusters nearby. The buildings are also recently updated making school there even better.
Portland State University has a lot of opportunities to learn outside of the classroom. There are on-campus employment opportunities as well as volunteer opportunities. Since it is an urban campus, you can learn about the industries in Portland related to your major. The only downside is that the residence halls could be better. The food on campus was not always good, but they are changing that, so hopefully it will be better.