Penn State Erie - The Behrend College Reviews

The general experience at Penn State Behrend is overall very good. Mainly due to the academic standard they hold and how professional the student and staff are during these harsh times during covid-19. Everything is within walking distance which is really nice. Especially for students who are packing on a large number of classes due to their major. For example, I'm an electrical engineer with the Army ROTC at Penn State Behrend and from each class, it's a 10-15 minute walk which is overall not bad for the nicer seasons: Summer and Spring.
My online experience at Penn State Behrend is not too bad, but it could be better due to the many issues that can occur. For example, when wifi went out, the mic is broken, or even the camera is broken makes it challenging for the students. Most of the professor gives you a pass depending on the situation, but there are some who don't care and mark the student absent or even harm their grade, but overall the professors do care about the students and understand their situation.
My only college experience so far has been online but the teachers and staff have been extremely understanding. My academics counselor has been so patient with me as I switch between online and in-person classes on an almost daily basis. The academics have been fairly good as well. The teachers are still somewhat learning how to best teach online classes but are very receptive to feed back and are really just looking to make things easy for everyone. They all have either set or scheduled office hours where you can talk to them about any problems you are having in classes. They link extra resources for those who want to learn more and the know where to find more if you are having trouble with research. Love the academics so far.
Start Your Review of Penn State Erie - The Behrend College
Unless you're going for business, engineering, commuting, or you intend to transfer, it's probably not worth coming here. There are little opportunities and engagement for non-business or non-engineering majors. You can go to Pitt main for a little less than here.

If you plan on going for plastics, Behrend is literally perfect, they have the really nice plastics facility on campus.

Unless you fit into one of the above categories, consider another school. It's a shame because Behrend is a bit of a gem; beautiful campus (the arboretum feels like Harry Potter), pretty good food, a great party scene in my personal opinion (it may be a bit different compared to big schools).
I never took online courses, but idiot niche is forcing me to write a review of them. And they want it to be 100 characters so here I go to finish the limit.
Professors do very well in teaching students online through zoom and other recordings that they make available. In zoom, students are able to ask questions and get feedback right during class time, and some professors also post minilectures after the regularly scheduled class time on zoom in order to help us better understand a topic that we may have not fully understood.
Almost all of the professors I have had are super nice and work with you to help you through the class if you need extra help outside of lecture as long as you ask questions and let them know that you need help. I didn't have a very good experience with academic advisors during the first few years and have taken classes that didn't even go towards my major. Now that I am a senior in the biology department though, I have a better advisor that is really helpful in getting me into the classes that I need to pass in order to graduate. Professors typically respond to your emails within a day of sending, which is pretty quick, and most professors get back to you even sooner. I would have to say that the best thing about Behrend is the professors, and the worst thing is how expensive it is. The parking passes are super expensive and so is the food on campus. I mainly go off campus for food because I can't afford to pay $10 - $15 every day just for lunch.
Most of my classes are currently online and with Canvas integration, it makes things easy. Some professors use Pearson as well, which also makes learning easier. The professors understand some of the learning difficulties online and are open to accomodating the student's needs.
It accommodates all students no matter their needs. Awards academic-based scholarships. Beautiful and rewarding campus. Has lots of resources for any student.
My in-person classes were transferred online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The teachers were able to work quickly to transition the classes in a way that we still effectively learned the course content. The two biggest struggles were working around the lack of access to printers at home and uploading assignments online, but teachers were flexible as we all learned to adjust to the new setup.
The teachers are well qualified and the teaching is enthusiastic. The walk between buildings can be a bit of a struggle due to the snow and the steep hill the campus is built on, but then I can consider my walk to class as my workout for the day. The staff is extremely helpful and the environment is friendly. The campus is smaller in size but I feel that students here still get the full college experience.
Friendly atmosphere, professors make you feel welcome and they are really friendly. As an untraditional adult student it was hard to return to school after 20yrs, but the professors welcome you and understand/respect the fact that that I work full time have 4 children and still manage to attend every class.
Online learning seems to fairly new to some of the professors especially now during the pandemic and we are being forced to have classes on-line.
Online learning is always weird and has it's setbacks but with the way things are right now the teachers are doing the best they can and I think they are doing really well. The classes are going pretty smooth and the teachers are always willing to talk to you to clear things up.
My experience is just starting but I have had success communicating with the faculty which is always a plus. I know the campus is close to some good places to eat and I have the opportunity to meet plenty of new people.
Overall, I've really enjoyed my time at Behrend. The professors really seem to care about your wellbeing and are easily reachable. The engineering programs are challenging but rewarding, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. Most students opt to stay on campus (instead of transferring to University Park), which is the opposite of most of PSU's other campuses.
Start Your Review of Penn State Erie - The Behrend College
Took one online class for an introductory in-major course. Was taught well and communication was clear, as the professor taught a different class during the same semester where all students were enrolled in both.