Otterbein University Reviews

I massively regret going to Otterbein.

Campus life is terrible. It's full of rich, boring white kids who have had everything handed to them. The average student is the kind of person who lists Netflix as a hobby, and it's probably one of the most interesting things they do.

A large portion of the student body is in greek life. If you loved high school drama and you don't want to grow up, you'll fit into greek life magnificently.

Otterbein also has an abysmal male student retention rate, less than 50% of males who enroll go on to graduate. If you're male, I'd highly recommend you don't waste your time coming here in the first place, I wish I had dropped out when all my friends did.

The classes are ok. A couple of them were great, but just as many were a total waste of time.

If you're an intellectually curious, open minded person, don't go to Otterbein. If you need four years of daycare before you're ready to work at daddy's buisness or a bank, it's the place for you.
The staff is great and there are so many opportunities to strive. The staff is really there for you and want to see you succeed. They will do whatever it takes to help. There are so many different ways to get involved and meet new people. The classes are challenging but worth it. The food is not very good but the food in Uptown is great, some places even give discounts with your student ID. The Nursing, Education, Theatre, and Equestrian Majors are huge here. You'll definitely find your group of people here. The campus puts on many events and gets people involved and interested. Great way to meet new people. Campus is very small and you can walk everywhere. Great gym facility and housing.
Super connected
A lot to do
Really nice community
Loved the library
Interesting classes
Professors are really nice and passionate in teaching as well as keeping good relationships
Start Your Review of Otterbein University
i am currently a freshman at Otterbein and enjoy my course work. I am extremely disappointed with my living arrangement on the dorms. I have caught several mice in my dorm room and have had mice feces in my bed. The school does not seem to care about this situation. In addition, I would have the food in the cafeteria a very low rating.
I loved the town it is beautiful! Everyone in town was friendly and so was the campus tour guides and were very great and honest. The campus seems accepting and wonderful.
The Zoo and Conservation program looks interesting. I have visited the campus twice and like the small class size.
Pretend my rating is 4.5.

Otterbein was one of the best times of my life. I can't speak for after school opportunities just yet, as I'm still a fresh grad, but I'll get back to you guys on that (maybe).

If you go into this place with an open mind, you'll do alright. Most people are pretty friendly and down to get to know you if you give them a chance.

As for academics, I wasn't a huge fan but there's quite a few different departments so try and find some juniors or seniors in your field at the school. INST courses, which are essentially super-focused electives, are pretty hit or miss. Many students don't like them, but I actually really enjoyed most of mine. Just take the ones your interested in and not the ones your friends are taking.

Great school going through some huge changes which will make it even better for the most part.
I'm a biology major and the classrooms and labs are in a new building, that's amazing. Class sizes are smaller, and it's easy to get individual attention with your professors. There are tons of things on campus to get involved in.
Otterbein is a beautiful campus and the ratio of professors to students is really outstanding. Also, many of the professors really care and are there for their students. There is also a lot going on campus to support you through whatever you may need assistance with. For example, if you are going through something emotional wise we have counselors ready to talk with you. We also have good internship/career advantages and many more bonuses. Now, compared to The Ohio State University Otterbein is the farthest from diverse but, it is getting better and that's all that matters. Campus is pretty safe and our on campus police staff (OPD) does a great job keeping up on patrol and response when they are needed in any situation.
I'm getting a good education, but there have been serious issues with racism on campus that the students keep fighting and faculty keeps ignoring. If I could get this degree anywhere else I would, but Otterbein is one of the few schools that allow me to study my area of theatre as an undergraduate student.
Very small and confortable school that makes you feel at home at all times. A nice sized time within a short drive of a bigger city in Columbus.
Otterbein was an excellent private school. I made lifelong friends there. Athletics are good enough to be focused on more, but overall, it was an excellent experience. Plus the surrounding area is awesome and action-packed.
I have had a very stressing semester and suddenly all my teacher as well as faculty members reached out and offered assistance to both my health and my grades. It truly made me feel appreciated and cared for
The faculty, staff, and students make everything worth while! You can tell that your teachers and advisers genuinely care about your well-being, not just academically but make a real effort to help you succeed and be the person you want to be.
So far, I love Otterbein. It really is a home away from home for me. I have found my place here. The professors are great, all the students are very friendly, and the location is amazing. If I could change anything about it, I would change the food and the cost. The food is pretty risky most of the time and the cost is outrageous and financial aid doesn't do anything to try and help you get more scholarships or aid. Those things sound like enough reasons to leave this place but I just love the people and the staff here too much to transfer. I have grown so much this year and I am thankful for Otterbein.
I've had such a great time here! I'm always challenged and there are some great classes. There are many opportunities inside and outside the classroom. I love Otterbein!
Otterbein strives to be a place of inclusion and diversity, which really makes you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. They have a small, close-nit campus that is located in a very safe and connected community. Everyone treats you with compassion and they are all very eager to help you in any way that you can. There are a decent amount of ways to get involved on campus, whether it be with clubs or with the community, and it's not very hard to make friends. Overall, I am very pleased so far with my college experience at Otterbein.
Start Your Review of Otterbein University
Otterbein provides such an intimate community. Attending a small school, as inclusive as Otterbein is has been such a nice experience. I would personally love to see more racial diversity on campus!
I like the special individualized attention given to each student. The instructors take time to get to know students' academic needs. Then they give individualized assistance as well as review resources that will be helpful. They also pay attention to students' individual circumstances and suggest ways they can do better.
I am currently a freshman and will be attending Otterbein for the next 4 years. Coming from a different state I was very sceptical on coming to this new school. After spending my first semester here I know for a fact that I clearly made the right decision. The teachers and faculty of various resources have been nothing short of supportive and kind. The university is full of diversity when it comes to people. Unlike the Big State schools where you are just a number in giant lecture hall, you are treated like an individual with the small classroom sizes. you will be treated with dignity and respect as soon as you walk into the classroom by the teachers just as long as you put forth the effort asked of you. You will get as much as you put in here with the numerous internship and work opportunity available here at Otterbein. I would highly recommend this College to anyone who is looking for a new experience.