Oglethorpe University Reviews

Oglethorpe University has some of the most thorough educators on the East Coast, that really take time and put in the work with each and every student eager to learn. The campus is beyond gorgeous and tight-knit as far as colleagues go, as well as being generally accepting to all walks of life. However, it tries hard to impress new students, going so far as to cater food in when in all actuality the cafeteria is severely lacking in taste, diversity, nutrition and some health guidelines. As well, the more expensive dorms are shown to incoming students when in most cases they, and almost all low income students, are placed in dorms with very little space which have been known to flood. Further, an extremely limited amount of classes transfer to or from any university, which makes it difficult to transfer into or out of. Lastly, due to high tuition prices, among other financial burdens, many students end up dropping out due to lack of funds.
Oglethorpe University is a small coeducational university located in the Brookhaven community outside of Atlanta. They value student involvement in the community and excel in utilizing courses which will prepare students for the real world.
I love the school, there are downsides to it as with every school, however, the caring professors and kind people make up for the bad.
Start Your Review of Oglethorpe University
The professors are out of this world. So are the rest of the faculty and staff. Everyone works together to get the student the best help. I've only taken a semester worth of classes, but the professors I've had were all wonderful and relatable. The campus is gorgeous as well. I wish there was better Wifi on campus, though.
I loved my time here. Oglethorpe really encouraged me to be a life long learner. However, this is not a research university and if you are interested in doing research you should apply to the Honors Program. Oglethorpe also offers very good Financial Aid, so don't let the price tag keep you from applying! Oglethorpe University is a fantastic 4 year college to attend. It's located in a prime location near midtown and downtown Atlanta. There are also so many great things to see and do on campus. Some examples are the museum located in the Library, shows at the performing arts theater,various clubs, and the endless amounts of events created by the Student Government Association. Oh, can't forget about the sports!
Great school transferred from Georgia State after realizing I wanted something more collegiate. Despite the low enrollment people here are extremely focused and close knit. Greek life is fun as well as being able to talk to your professors one on one.

Without a doubt this school is diverse, and being in Brookhaven is amazing. To live in one of the safest areas is pretty awesome!
While there are mixed reviews about Oglethorpe, I loved my time here. Oglethorpe really encouraged me to be a life long learner. Both the Staff and Faulty members showed how much they cared for me and I remain in contact with them after graduation. However, this is not a research university and if you are interested in doing research you should apply to the Honors Program. Oglethorpe also offers very good Financial Aid, so don't let the price tag keep you from applying!
Oglethorpe is not at all what they tell you at face value. I have spent time and time again almost every semester struggling to stay afloat in classes and to survive. Financial Aid is anything but helpful. Food access is laughable and does not exist for vegetarian/vegan and gluten-free folks. I have a couple friends with celiac and almost every dish is sprinkled with wheat flour. Vegetarian/Vegan options (me being vegetarian myself) have DECLINED in the past three years I have been here. Professors for the most part are very good, but they are the only worthwhile faculty. So much money that is meant to go to the bettering of students' and professors' is hidden from public knowledge and there are many shady interactions speculated to occur. I would never recommend this university to someone unless they have money spilling out of their pockets to not worry about.
Oglethorpe is a wonderful small, private school that offers invaluable opportunities. But it is not limited or closed-off like some private schools can be; Oglethorpe offers a global experience in Atlanta. Plus, if a class or major is not offered, then classes can be taken at other schools through Oglethorpe via the ARCHE program and majors can be independently planned. The instructors are absolutely phenomenal and small class sizes really foster individualized attention and quality feedback. The students and faculty are very diverse and really make Oglethorpe a school like no other in its class. In addition, some of the buildings are older, but all have beyond what is expected elsewhere. The newer buildings are stellar, especially the main student building which houses the dining hall. Oglethorpe is like an oasis in the business of Atlanta but its proximity allows many opportunities to go out and experience the city as desired.
Oglethorpe is awesome if you love learning in a small school setting. I have enjoyed having one on one time with my professors and I feel that I have learned a lot about my major of study as well as about current events and how they affect various groups of people.
The small class size of Oglethorpe makes organizing campus projects and events much more feasible. Any individual or organization can apply to allocate funds for their event, as well as reserve virtually any venue on campus, which isn't always a realistic possibility at a larger university. The small class size also means that you have more meaningful one-on-one interaction with your professors, which I think is important and invaluable to a good education. The professors here are great, but the downside is that the administration is...not so much. Dealing with the financial department and other issues here can be difficult, and communication isn't at the level that it should be.
Oglethorpe University is a small private university in the big and wonderful city of Atlanta. It's infrastructure makes you feel like if you are in a Harry Potter movie. Due to its size, you get to know lots of people and have one on one relationships with your professors. The professors have a lot of knowledge and first hand experiences since most have other jobs. I would say their CORE program makes you a well-rounded person.
I knew as soon as I set foot on Oglethorpe's campus that it would be the place I would be for spend my next four years. They do a wonderful job at including all student's on their campus and because of its small size, the staff is able to communicate effectively and personally with students.
Racism lies within this campus specially athletics I was asked by the coach of the women's soccer team not to speak in my native language and then I was told by a teammate that they had a new rule "No speaking Spanish". FOOD SUCKS LIKE BIG TIME. Dual-degree advisor doesn't really care about you only about the money she's getting for her research. COR program is very unnecessary as well.
So far I've enjoyed my experiences with both teachers and overall university life. The only thing I would have issue with or want to change in the tech service for internet outages and such, as that has been a recurring issue in some buildings.
Oglethorpe University is a fantastic 4 year college to attend. It's located in a prime location near midtown and downtown Atlanta. There are also so many great things to see and do on campus. Some examples are the museum located in the Library, shows at the performing arts theater,various clubs, and the endless amounts of events created by the Student Government Association. Oh, can't forget about the sports! There is so much fun and excitement at every basketball, volleyball, lacrosse, baseball, and just about every other sport game. The professors are amazing, too. Small class sizes allows all students to have more personal interactions with their professor to aid in the best learning experience.
I enjoy attending school at Oglethorpe University. I love the campus, the professors and the programs. However a few things I do not like about the school is the Petrel Points program, parking and the required math course.
Start Your Review of Oglethorpe University
I went on a tour and the whole place was amazing! Not too far out of the city and not too inside of the city making it a perfect place for feeling close and comfy without being overcrowded as in the cities! :)
I graduated as B.S in biology. I participated in soccer, Greek life and student government. I have to say that I academics were though and very challenging. Most of my professor still contact me to see how I'm doing (small school advantage). The core curriculum help me substantially during an interview at Emory for grad school. You get what you put into this school. I have to say I did take a couple classes at KSU and Oglethorpe is more challenging academically speaking.
It's a beautiful small campus, but it definitely feels a bit sheltered. The smaller class sizes are awesome, but my experience has been other students don't participate much in the dialog in class so comes off as too one sided. I have better class interactions at my 300 level (also small class size) state university class. If I've ever had an issue I call the appropriate person and everything has been fixed same day, amazing service! Recommend coming here, but supplementing with some classes from bigger schools to expose yourself to a more metropolitan city.