Northwestern University Reviews

1,333 reviews
It is an excellent school and attending is a big learning curve, especially for those who are very close to their families.
I visited Northwestern in August and absolutely loved my tour as well as my tour guide. I learned lots about the flexibility of the programs in order to easily try new subjects and expand your interests and passions. But my favorite part had to be the beautiful campus I was lucky enough to tour.
It's good for some people- type A, competitive, go-getters, suburban party crowd, into the mainstream kind of people. Good if you want to dabble in different things but not so great in the art department. Also athlete worship is so bad
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
The IB program that I participated in prior to college set me up well for the academics at Northwestern, so I have enjoyed them so far. While NU is not the most diverse school, it is quite diverse when compared to others. Big 10 athletics allow for camaraderie and school spirit in which I enthusiastically participate. The newly renovated dorms like Willard are amazing. Dining hall food is standard, and the proximity to Evanston is nice.
So far Northwestern has been positive in very unexpected ways. The concept of what Northwestern was to me in high school ended up not really aligning with the reality. People who are honest and true to who they are as people, regardless of what they’re studying, are the most respected among the population. It’s really easy to want to morph yourself to fit the norm, especially here. Just figure out what you’re good at and what makes you happy and do a lot of that.
Pros: The campus is beautiful, it is a short ride to Chicago and within minutes of the famous Bahá'í temple, there are endless opportunities for student-led research, part of the Big Ten (football), has a prestigious standing for any major
Cons: It was ranked one of the most stressful schools in the nation, cold winter is worsened by wind chill coming from the lake, not a social/party school, lack of school spirit, high competition, and there have been a rising number of protests from students of color on campus regarding actions made by the current administration
I am a high school senior, but I have a close friend that attends the university, and he sais that it was the best decision of his life. Everything is perfect, he loves the snow, the location, and the people. He eventually convinced me to go for a visit, and when I did I absolutely fell in love with it, especially the environment. I also like that it is an academically rigorous school.
My Northwestern experience has been mixed. On one end, I have enjoyed most classes and like being able to explore the wide range of offerings. While the quarter system creates a stressful environment of midterms and finals nearly all year round, I don't think I could have explored my varying interests with depth without it. On the other hand, the current budget crisis from the multiple new buildings on campus is a pain, especially when the majority of campus does not utilize these facilities. Evanston itself it not a great college town. Businesses close early and are expensive. However, for the most part, I think the problems Northwestern suffers from are not unique to Northwestern, but rather just how college, especially private research universities, are. I've had many experiences where professors are awful teachers because the university hired them for their research, not their ability to teach. The bureaucracy of Northwestern is a pain, but not unexpected.
Best of all worlds scenario, and a rising star in higher education (along with its crosstown rival, UChicago). Who knew Chicago was such an education hub? Its beautiful campus is a huge cherry on top of the top-notch education you'll receive.
The school is super expensive but provides great opportunities for students and individualized plans to succeed.
Northwestern pulls an incredible variety of motivated and interesting people from all over the country. This makes for excellent wide-reaching discussions.
The city of Evanston is amazing. It is close to Chicago so you can get there in 15 minutes (in good traffic) but still has a nice local feel.
Amazing place to spend 4 years. Opportunities to be very involved, study abroad multiple times and set me up with a top notch job after graduation. What more could I ask for?
I love how beautiful northwestern looks on the outside. I am not attending right now but hopefully after graduate school. I visit here and there because I have family and friends who go there and they love it so much. I would love to dorm there because how clean and safe it looks. Would recommend to anyone investing in going there!
Northwestern is a great school and the people here are generally reallt nice. The dorms and food are not the best but they are not terrible.
Northwestern is a well-balanced school--top notch academics, great arts programs, amazing engineering and science facilities, in a minor city (Evanston) and very close to a major one (Chicago), and even a bit of sports culture. NU students tend to be fun-loving, driven and ambitious, both in their academic and extra-curricular pursuits. It's definitely a work-hard-play-hard atmosphere when you're on campus, and while there is danger in this as you can easily over-extend yourself (and many students do at some point), it makes for a fulfilling four years.
Northwestern offers great courses, resources, and opportunities to all students. You can be involved in almost anything and find your niche and group of people to bond with for life.
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
I haven't started yet at Northwestern but I will be attending this fall. So far, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. All the faculty is very supportive and kind, and the students seem fairly diverse. Can't wait to get to Chicago in September.
I had a horrible experience at Northwestern, in large part because of my mental health issues and the university’s awful response to them. I had a mental breakdown my sophomore year and went to student counseling, but it was awful. No help at all.

Northwestern was a mixed bag academically. Some classes were great, but many were not. You will encounter lots of “dud” classes. The professors weren’t friendly.

Forty percent of the campus is Greek, and you will find that they treat those outside the Greek community with contempt. The student body didn’t show much intellectual passion. They didn’t care about what they were studying because they planned to go to law or med school.

I get phone calls from NU asking me for money. These infuriate me. They couldn’t give me the help I needed as a student, but now they pay someone to solicit me for money? My advice is to transfer the money you use for soliciting donations to your mental health clinic.
Northwestern is so great. I can't wait to attend undergrad there I think it will really be a great match for me or anyone who likes a fun school with also rigorous academics.