Northwestern University Reviews

1,247 reviews
Such an amazing campus! I had such a great time simply walking around the school of music, right by the lakeside. Buffalo Joe's is a must if you're ever visiting. Or if you want something sweet, Insomnia Cookies is your treat. I just love it here!
Campus in Evanston is just exquisite! Easy access to all that Chicago has to offer. Mom's friendships made in undergrad continue today. World-class in every way.
Northwestern's defining feature is the unique spirit of camaraderie and collaboration that permeates every element of college life. Northwestern tries to incorporate a lot of group projects and get students active in their studies outside of just coursework and exams through its hundreds of student-run groups.

At Northwestern, you are actively encouraged to take a variety of classes outside your major, and you really get to explore different disciplines. Northwestern has a quarter system, which means that in a given school year you will take about 12-13 courses instead of the semester standard of 10.

Throughout my years here, I have made friends studying every discipline, and they have opened my eyes to a world of knowledge. I encourage anyone with a desire to learn a wealth of information and experience a collaborative learning environment to apply.
Review Northwestern University
I love Northwestern. They do the best they can to ensure you have a smooth transition into college, and they have so many resources you can reach out to depending on what you're looking for. It's incredibly challenging academically, but having friends to study with helps a lot.
I am only a freshman at NU, but even though I have only been here for a few months, I can honestly say that I love this school and the plethora of opportunities it has to offer. Academics here are very rigorous and competitive, but fortunately you are always surrounded by like-minded individuals who share your interests and are determined to be successful. It is not hard to get involved on campus. On weekends, students like to go to a football or basketball game or just hang out at trendy restaurants and cafes in Evanston. There are numerous student groups, sports, and volunteer opportunities so that you may take full advantage of what NU has to offer. The faculty here is great; professors and advisors are very knowledgable and willing to help you out in any way. Keeping up with school, work, and your social life can be hard, I admit, but I am glad I chose Northwestern.
Will prepare you very well for the real world. Incredible career planning support. Professors are the very top of their fields. Students are all incredible smart and engaging.
I attended Northwestern because of the music program and the professor I would be working with. My professor was amazing, and so was the music program as a whole. I was able to pursue a double major with an outside field, and while it was difficult and busy, the administration helped me every quarter by allowing me to take extra classes to finish on time. The campus is beautiful, but there is always construction. It is not a huge party school, but there are parties and lots of other ways to have fun. I loved the proximity to Chicago and the public transit system. Overall, I liked the student body. There was a general hard work ethic, and though my majors weren't particularly competitive, I know there were some that were fairly cut-throat. The mental health services can be improved upon, but I felt that NU was a very accepting, diverse, and progressive school overall. Financial aid was great, and getting better!
I am pleased with my choice of Northwestern. Everyone here is very driven and focused. We are among some of the best students in the nation, and that is something to be proud of. However, with that comes the challenging academics. But, its worth it.
Great! I love Northwestern. With the combination of world-class faculty in a college-town setting, located near to a major city, Northwestern is #1 in my mind. The only downside is the cost of tuition.
Northwestern University ensures that all students feel a sense of belonging. It is a great university that truly cares about its students.
I like that the campus isn't too large and most of the professors are amazing! The students appreciate the wide variety of healthy food options that are available and the campus's proximity to downtown Evanston and Chicago make it easy to explore new places and take breaks from studying.
The IVY of the Midwest - ranked above more than half of the true IVY league schools. Unbelievable Evanston and Chicago Campuses. BIG 10 sports. Best theatre department in the country. Ability to experience Chicago cultural, social and sporting activities. Diverse, international student body.
This school was a good undergraduate experience. I really enjoyed my classes because my major was in a small, passionate school. The school is pretty segregated, so you need to seek out ways to interact with people of different backgrounds. Even though they label themselves as "Chicago's Big Ten School," people don't really go into the city much (you don't even get a train pass!). Northwestern focuses a lot on its athletics, but I wonder if their teams will ever end up going anywhere.
I loved the location of Northwestern, as well as their highly acclaimed academics and facilities. However, the price point is insanely high and only continues to grow. I cannot afford it.
Running along Lake Michigan on a brisk morning was breathtaking and the sight of the great fountains was extraordinary. The frisbee community is amazingly widespread, and there is always someone throwing a disc. I lived in Foster-Walker while I was there, and the cafeteria food was great and had a wide selection.
Beautiful campus, benefits of access to Chicago, great courses and activities. A wonderful experience all around.
Northwestern is an amazingly challenging and diverse world-class institution. The reputation of programs ranging from chemistry to journalism, music to economics, and everything in between, precedes itself. Every student is extremely passionate about whatever they're studying or participating in on campus. That being said, the student body does give off an air of pre-professional culture, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if like-minded, but can be overwhelming at times for students less sure on their future career path.
Review Northwestern University
Evanston is a perfect place for a college to be in: well-developed public transport, subway line to Chicago, lots of restaurants and shops, not so hectic as large cities, and a safe neighborhood. Northwestern is relatively large for a private college, but a bigger school means more opportunities. There are faculties doing research in almost every realm of arts and sciences, and the pre-professional programs are excellent here. The only problem is that Northwestern might be a bit too pre-professional: everyone is either a pre-med or looking for a job in consulting business, and you will feel lonely if you are a linguistics major or physics major or something.
Northwestern is a VERY challenging school and it will prepare you very well for the challenges of finding a job in many different industries. Speaking as an economics major, almost 96% of graduates are employed in a related field within 6 months so that's proof of how it prepares you to get a job.
Speaking on the campus aspect of the university, it is definitely dominated by greek life. Not to say that if you're not in a fraternity or sorority that you can't have fun, but the party culture certainly revolves around north campus and the fraternity quad.
Northwestern University's Evanston campus was a beautiful place to live for four years. The surrounding community is pleasant but as usual it doesn't always view college kids warmly (and sometimes that's very deserved). It's not the most exciting place but the campus is connected to Chicago by the el train, which I couldn't have lived without. The lake view was priceless to have. As for academics, Northwestern has many stellar professors and offers a very well-rounded, challenging education, as well as numerous career services and opportunities for experiences and networking. It is, of course, up to the student to make use of these resources. Some dorms are much better than others, but none of the ones I lived in were terrible.