Northwestern University Reviews

1,265 reviews
Northwestern is an excellent school with good resources and a stellar-minded staff and student body!
I am currently enrolled as a Percussion Performance and Music Cognition double major at the University's music school. So far, I have absolutely loved the college experience, both socially and major-wise. I have made great friends and I wouldn't want to be anywhere to pursue my musical endeavors. However, I haven't been to pleased with some of the other academics, on-campus housing, or cost of attendance.
The academics in the engineering school are rigorous, but most of the professors are helpful. I find that there are often many sources to help us succeed. Life on campus is generally very positive. The campus is beautiful and downtown Evanston is incredible. On the other hand, I am very disappointed in the athletics at Northwestern University. The athletic department is not one that I liked dealing with.
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
We toured the school during my sons Thanksgiving break and we’re very impressed. Our tour guide was fantastic and made sure every aspect of the school was covered. So far this is his top choice
Northwestern University is just an hour from Chicago, my favorite city. The professors are top researchers and publishers in their fields, but are also extremely dedicated to their students.
Northwestern University has an ambient atmosphere that shows no signs of competitiveness among peers but rather collaboration. The percent need met is also very compelling and supportive.The only thing that I feel as if the cost of tuition is a bit too high for the education, although it is a very good education.
The university lives up to its high standards. The classes are difficult and require a significant amount of study time. However, the resources here are phenomenal. There is always someone available to help. Because the cost of coming here is so high, students are also presented with a lot of opportunities like going to professional games or performances in Chicago, or the giving away of free school apparel. All in all, if you can keep up with the workload, Northwestern is a great school.
Great tour and campus! Seems classy and interesting. Our tour guide was very genuine and made me want to go to the school. It is a very expensive school though.
Northwestern University is not only beautiful, with the lakefill and the insane view of Chicago, but I have made incredible friends and gained such an amazing education so far. The professors really care about you personally, your education, and your potential. They always push you to exceed limits you never thought you could reach. Not only do I learn so much in the classroom, but also in my extracurriculars. Northwestern students are passionate, hardworking, and collaborative. On the weekends, there are always multiple parties, plays, musicals, acapella shows, sports games, and comedy shows. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else.
I really like Northwestern because as you walk around campus and engage in discussion with your classmates, you know that everyone around you is passionate, driven, and responsible. I have had very good experiences with everyone on this campus and have found that everyone here is incredibly involved and everyone is a genius in their own way, which I find fascinating. The campus is beautiful throughout all seasons, has great resources, and can really become whatever you want it to become if you are willing to get yourself involved.
Northwestern is a top academic school with challenging classes. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in research which I find very appealing. It is on a beautiful campus and sits right on the lake but it is also close to Chicago so you can get a taste of the city any time.
I loved my visit! The guides were very thorough and explained the structure of the school with lots of examples. Definitely worth the visit and seeing if the school is right for you.
Northwestern is a great school with an immense amount of resources to offer. While the classes (especially on the pre-med track or engineering) are definitely rigorous and will challenge you, the people and the community available to you is definitely worth it.
I had an incredible time staying at Northwestern over the summer. The professors were fully invested in helping students. Northwestern's campus is beautiful and completely conducive to an efficient work ethic.
Excellent opportunities for professional networking, and great career advancement support. Winters and the quarter system are brutal, but you'll be well prepared for the real world.
After my first year at Northwestern, I am definitely satisfied with the return on my investment. The classes are enlightening and the student life is definitely enjoyable as I easily found a close knit group of friends. However, there are definitely some negatives that the university could improve on. Primarily, the dining hall food could use a lot of improvement. Furthermore, some of the facilities in the residential halls such as the restrooms or laundry rooms often had equipment that was out of service. Overall, however, I am quite happy at NU and am looking forward to the upcoming years.
When I crossed through the gates of Northwestern for the first time, I felt connected. The campus vibrates with something intangible; the kind of greatness that pushes you in the direction of a Nobel prize win, or that equips you with the ability to kill off all the favorite characters of your novels without ever losing a fan. I am not sure if this atmosphere emanates from the unique architecture, the stunning lake views, or if maybe I am just a fan of all those purple shirts. But I was, and still am, hooked.
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
Wow was my first year a bumpy ride... Lots of ups and downs with many memories I won't forget. It's definitely different than high school, and the transition into the college life-style could certainly take a bit of time like me, but I promise you there are so many opportunities waiting for you, you just need to reach out and take it. Does it get competitive? Yeah, but that's all colleges and universities. You take what is given to you, good or bad, and make the most of it.
Such an amazing campus! I had such a great time simply walking around the school of music, right by the lakeside. Buffalo Joe's is a must if you're ever visiting. Or if you want something sweet, Insomnia Cookies is your treat. I just love it here!
Campus in Evanston is just exquisite! Easy access to all that Chicago has to offer. Mom's friendships made in undergrad continue today. World-class in every way.