Northwestern University Reviews

1,260 reviews
The university lives up to its high standards. The classes are difficult and require a significant amount of study time. However, the resources here are phenomenal. There is always someone available to help. Because the cost of coming here is so high, students are also presented with a lot of opportunities like going to professional games or performances in Chicago, or the giving away of free school apparel. All in all, if you can keep up with the workload, Northwestern is a great school.
I haven't attended Northwestern, but it is one of my dream schools and I would really like to attend there for my first year of college. All my research on Northwestern has shown that it's the perfect fit for me.
Great tour and campus! Seems classy and interesting. Our tour guide was very genuine and made me want to go to the school. It is a very expensive school though.
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
Northwestern University is not only beautiful, with the lakefill and the insane view of Chicago, but I have made incredible friends and gained such an amazing education so far. The professors really care about you personally, your education, and your potential. They always push you to exceed limits you never thought you could reach. Not only do I learn so much in the classroom, but also in my extracurriculars. Northwestern students are passionate, hardworking, and collaborative. On the weekends, there are always multiple parties, plays, musicals, acapella shows, sports games, and comedy shows. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else.
I really like Northwestern because as you walk around campus and engage in discussion with your classmates, you know that everyone around you is passionate, driven, and responsible. I have had very good experiences with everyone on this campus and have found that everyone here is incredibly involved and everyone is a genius in their own way, which I find fascinating. The campus is beautiful throughout all seasons, has great resources, and can really become whatever you want it to become if you are willing to get yourself involved.
Northwestern is a top academic school with challenging classes. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in research which I find very appealing. It is on a beautiful campus and sits right on the lake but it is also close to Chicago so you can get a taste of the city any time.
I loved my visit! The guides were very thorough and explained the structure of the school with lots of examples. Definitely worth the visit and seeing if the school is right for you.
Northwestern is a great school with an immense amount of resources to offer. While the classes (especially on the pre-med track or engineering) are definitely rigorous and will challenge you, the people and the community available to you is definitely worth it.
I had an incredible time staying at Northwestern over the summer. The professors were fully invested in helping students. Northwestern's campus is beautiful and completely conducive to an efficient work ethic.
Excellent opportunities for professional networking, and great career advancement support. Winters and the quarter system are brutal, but you'll be well prepared for the real world.
After my first year at Northwestern, I am definitely satisfied with the return on my investment. The classes are enlightening and the student life is definitely enjoyable as I easily found a close knit group of friends. However, there are definitely some negatives that the university could improve on. Primarily, the dining hall food could use a lot of improvement. Furthermore, some of the facilities in the residential halls such as the restrooms or laundry rooms often had equipment that was out of service. Overall, however, I am quite happy at NU and am looking forward to the upcoming years.
When I crossed through the gates of Northwestern for the first time, I felt connected. The campus vibrates with something intangible; the kind of greatness that pushes you in the direction of a Nobel prize win, or that equips you with the ability to kill off all the favorite characters of your novels without ever losing a fan. I am not sure if this atmosphere emanates from the unique architecture, the stunning lake views, or if maybe I am just a fan of all those purple shirts. But I was, and still am, hooked.
Wow was my first year a bumpy ride... Lots of ups and downs with many memories I won't forget. It's definitely different than high school, and the transition into the college life-style could certainly take a bit of time like me, but I promise you there are so many opportunities waiting for you, you just need to reach out and take it. Does it get competitive? Yeah, but that's all colleges and universities. You take what is given to you, good or bad, and make the most of it.
Such an amazing campus! I had such a great time simply walking around the school of music, right by the lakeside. Buffalo Joe's is a must if you're ever visiting. Or if you want something sweet, Insomnia Cookies is your treat. I just love it here!
Campus in Evanston is just exquisite! Easy access to all that Chicago has to offer. Mom's friendships made in undergrad continue today. World-class in every way.
Northwestern's defining feature is the unique spirit of camaraderie and collaboration that permeates every element of college life. Northwestern tries to incorporate a lot of group projects and get students active in their studies outside of just coursework and exams through its hundreds of student-run groups.

At Northwestern, you are actively encouraged to take a variety of classes outside your major, and you really get to explore different disciplines. Northwestern has a quarter system, which means that in a given school year you will take about 12-13 courses instead of the semester standard of 10.

Throughout my years here, I have made friends studying every discipline, and they have opened my eyes to a world of knowledge. I encourage anyone with a desire to learn a wealth of information and experience a collaborative learning environment to apply.
I love Northwestern. They do the best they can to ensure you have a smooth transition into college, and they have so many resources you can reach out to depending on what you're looking for. It's incredibly challenging academically, but having friends to study with helps a lot.
Start Your Review of Northwestern University
I am only a freshman at NU, but even though I have only been here for a few months, I can honestly say that I love this school and the plethora of opportunities it has to offer. Academics here are very rigorous and competitive, but fortunately you are always surrounded by like-minded individuals who share your interests and are determined to be successful. It is not hard to get involved on campus. On weekends, students like to go to a football or basketball game or just hang out at trendy restaurants and cafes in Evanston. There are numerous student groups, sports, and volunteer opportunities so that you may take full advantage of what NU has to offer. The faculty here is great; professors and advisors are very knowledgable and willing to help you out in any way. Keeping up with school, work, and your social life can be hard, I admit, but I am glad I chose Northwestern.
Will prepare you very well for the real world. Incredible career planning support. Professors are the very top of their fields. Students are all incredible smart and engaging.
I attended Northwestern because of the music program and the professor I would be working with. My professor was amazing, and so was the music program as a whole. I was able to pursue a double major with an outside field, and while it was difficult and busy, the administration helped me every quarter by allowing me to take extra classes to finish on time. The campus is beautiful, but there is always construction. It is not a huge party school, but there are parties and lots of other ways to have fun. I loved the proximity to Chicago and the public transit system. Overall, I liked the student body. There was a general hard work ethic, and though my majors weren't particularly competitive, I know there were some that were fairly cut-throat. The mental health services can be improved upon, but I felt that NU was a very accepting, diverse, and progressive school overall. Financial aid was great, and getting better!