Northwest Nazarene University Reviews

I truly enjoyed the AP Credit teachers. They cared about my education and made sure I understood the curriculum.
NNU is an amazing place because it has an amazing sense of community and involvement. Things I would like to see change are small things like quality of food in the cafeteria and more food options around campus.
Northwest Nazarene University is centered in Jesus Christ, the NNU education instills habits of heart, soul, mind and strength to enable each student to become God's creative and redemptive agent in the world. NNU is a Christian university of the liberal arts, professional and graduate studies. NNU is founded upon belief in and relationship with God. Therefore, we seek to build our lives and the practices of the University upon the Kingdom of God as revealed in Jesus. NNU has 4 main values: Transformation, Truth, Community, and Service.

Alongside that, NNU has an amazing community surrounded by individuals who invest in others. NNU welcomes every one. Class sizes at NNU are small, which enables professors to instill personal time into every student. NNU also puts on weekly, fun and exciting events for students to connect deeper with one another.

I would highly recommend NNU to anyone!
Start Your Review of Northwest Nazarene University
I really feel that everyone on campus cares about each other and the people they are serving. This is a great environment to be in and to learn in because it allows the individual to thrive with out the fear of judgement. It is a religious community and that heavily contributes to the loving and accepting environment.
Great school! At NNU there are small class sizes, which means that you get one on one time with the professor. NNU has a lot to offer. Definitely worth your money.
NNU has been a life-changing experience for me. I have been transformed into a better person and will keep transforming for the next two years, as I finish up my major and two minors. The School of Business is one of the best in the area and the professors are always open to talk and have their doors open.
The small class sizes contribute to a concentrated education environment. With only a few exceptions, all professors are concerned and personally invested in each student's success. Widely available study and tutoring help.
I love the Christ-centered community that is created here at NNU. The professors are so willing to invest in individual students, and the friends I have made will be life long.
I love my school of Northwest Nazarene University. There are so many wonderful people and the student life is absolutely one of kind! I will definitely feel home sick once I graduate.
I like the community at NNU- it is really strong. They make a conscious effort to reach out to everyone, even those students on the fringes. I wish there were more opportunities to get involved in acting out your faith on campus. The lack of bible studies and such has been a struggle for me.
While I am not entirely thrilled with the location, the school and the people greatly compensate for that. Not only is it a beautiful campus, but the students and professors all care about each other and create a warm, loving environment. Plus, with it being a small campus, you are able to build strong relationships with most everyone, including the professors. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at NNU.
It's not a big party school, and we are sworn to a very strict lifestyle code (even those who are of legal age and/or live off campus), but it's not hard to have a good time and "skirt around" it. Most of the best bars are in Boise, near BSU. Boise has an up-and-coming brewing scene. The Valley lacks public transportation, so you will need your own vehicle or to hitch a ride.
NNU's party scene is lacking. Most students don't party, strict lifestyle code and all. The parties that DO exist happen at an off-campus student's house, at BSU, or while off camping or back home for break.
Outstanding quality of academia. And underrated school for sure. Students are required to put the effort into doing their best, but profs and staff are more than willing to help students who seek help. The registration process can sometimes get messy but normally gets resolved in the end. The learning commons (opened in 2014) is the favorite place on campus to study, complete with modern and useful furniture, a large library catalog, friendly staff, and many study rooms with full-wall white boards to write on. Other popular study places are in dorm lobbies, outside on a nice day, and at the Flying M Coffee Garage, about a mile away from campus in downtown Nampa.
This is a Christian college in Idaho. So as you expect, it's mostly lily-white. However, the Hispanic population has grown a lot in the time I've been here. We also have some African-American students and some Asian exchange students. While the school is pretty white, most students here are pretty accepting of others and quick to call out racism- with the exception of some assholes, but they exist everywhere. Politically, the staff are moderate-to-liberal and the students are a very mixed bag. VERY diverse economic backgrounds. Nearly everyone here is a professing Christians, but there are a few agnostics and they are treated with respect. Sexual orientation is still a pretty controversial subject on campus. I have heard of some openly LGBT students being bullied or judged, but for the most part respected.
VERT strict lifestyle code- completely dry campus, even students who are of legal age can get in trouble for on- or off-campus drinking. In some ways, it is nice to not have that stuff around the dorms.The majority of students here do not use alcohol or drugs (and they know this coming to campus), but it is also not hard to find someone to party with. Most parties happen off-campus at someone's house, and are generally not ragers. There's only been one or two major "busts" during my time here. Basically, "if you seek, you will find." But it's not a big part of campus culture.
NNU is considered one of the best schools in the state of Idaho and in the Northwest. It's top programs are nursing, elem/secondary ed, business, and engineering. It seems that just about everyone at NNU who majors in these fields lands a job offer before or soon after graduation. However, these are far from their only good programs. Department profs and staff do a great job relaying information to students about intern and job opportunities, career fairs, and other opportunities to further your prospects. They are also great about working with you one-on-one. The trick is that ultimately, it is up to the student to take advantage of these opportunities and do the work.

P.S., regardless of your major, get acquainted with Amanda Marble in the career center. She's a goddess when it comes to helping with resumes, job apps, etc.
Start Your Review of Northwest Nazarene University
It really depends on your major, but I have personally had a great experience. Gen Ed classes tend to be on the larger side, but even then, the biggest class I've ever been in had about 80 students. As you get deeper into your field, it is common to have classes as small as 3-7 people. Most professors I've had are great; they are "fantastic" at best and "average" at worst. There are a decent variety of courses for a college its size, and they go deep into the material. The work load also depends on the prof and the class, but I have never had a class that had too much work to handle.
The first year or so is fun; living on campus is a great way to meet people and to make impromptu events. The facilities range in quality, but even the worst living options are still pretty livable. Rule enforcement is overly strict your freshman and sophomore years (I don't mind some rules, but good grief), but lightens up significantly once you move into the apartments your jr and sr years. My biggest complaint is with how strict they are with allowing students to move off campus. Unless you're married, a senior, or already live locally, it takes an act of God to get approval to move off campus. Which is somewhat understandable but insane, especially since it is sometimes difficult to fit everyone into on-campus housing and rent in Nampa is dirt cheap.
While the teams compete well in the GNAC, they are not popular on campus as a whole. NNU is not a school that one goes to just for the athletics, unless of course you're getting recruited for a team. Volleyball, men's basketball, and baseball games are fairly well-attended, but otherwise non-athletes don't really care about our athletic dept. Personally, the only games I go to each year are the C of I/NNU cross town rivalry and the homecoming game. Intramurals, on the other hand, are another story. Very popular and well-attended :) There is much more excitement for powder-puff football than for any of our official sports.