High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Affordable fixed or variable rates
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Loans from community lenders that put people before profits
- Easy, online app with ability to add a cosigner in minutes
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.150 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.162 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.161 responses
Most Popular Majors
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 94 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.187 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.233 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 106 responsesReport
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.109 responses
Northern Illinois University Reviews
I'm currently a Music Education major. Class sizes are perfect for this major, nothing too big or small so the professors can spend a lot of time working 1 on 1 with students who need more help. Professors are as nice as ever besides a couple. The campus is beautiful and I love my dorm room. I'd like to see less violence, last semester Fall '17, we had to lock the outside doors during the day and night at all times, which was insanely annoying. It's not too much of a problem now. Great layout and classes!
NIU is a great university. There are many activities and organizations to join to get involved. The professors specific to the elementary education program are amazing! They really have your best interest in mind and all times and want to help you succeed. They bring personal and real life experiences into the classroom. Although there is a lot of course work, the professors support you every step of the way.
Northern Illinois University has a lot of potential to be something very great and give students a memorable college experience. However, they do not have great organizational skills, nor financial skills, and they do not support diversity. A recent article was released from our very own "Northern Star" university newsletter about the 1.6 million dollars in technology that has been lost. This is one of the examples of poor organization. Financially, minority groups have seen cases where $40,000 of alloyed grants towards these organizations had been dwindled down to a measly $3,500 annually while also making in-state tuition and out-of-state tuition the same. There have been noticeable decreases in student enrollment due to it being so expensive to go to a university that doesn't give nearly half of the investment back. It is sad to see such a beautiful campus decline.