High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.150 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.159 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.158 responses
Most Popular Majors
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.184 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.230 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 103 responsesReport
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.109 responses
Northern Illinois University Reviews
Although a large percent of the population is white, there is a fair amount of diversity at Northern Illinois and the community. There are over 300 clubs offered and I see more added every week for a variety of interests. There are many resources on campus for students to take advantage of including: leadership development, career services, student government, tutoring, learning and writing centers, and multiple culture centers. The housing that is older could use some renovations and cleaning (Grant, Neptune, Stevenson). Safety on campus is very high, but the safety around campus in the surrounding neighborhoods this year has been very poor with gun and gang violence.
So far I haven't enjoyed my time here. Unless you are a partier or an athlete there isn't much opportunity to meet people in a fun environment. There also isn't a very large LGBTQ community. Dekalb is you typical small midwest town, in that it's conservative set in its' ways. The dorm you choose is very important! Neptune is great because you are so close to classes, however, the floors are so large that it is difficult to form relationships with the people you live with. The other dorms seem more social, however, they are pretty far from most classes.
I have been giving so many wonderful opportunities at Northern Illinois University! I have had many on campus jobs, each one giving me new experiences and a new skill set. I am getting a wonderful education and can't wait to see where it takes me!