New College of Florida Reviews

New College is a very unique school; I love it here. I believe it is a very different experience here than at other colleges in both the academic world and the social sphere. I wish there was more tolerance of beliefs that do not align with the traditional young college liberal ideas; before I came here I considered myself a progressive liberal, although after living here for 6 months it is obvious that the political awareness on campus is directed towards social injustices in America. This may sound like it is not problematic, but the attitudes here are extreme. I have known friends who are people of color (Hispanic) and have been ostracized for straightening their hair and "denying their heritage." On the other hand, I have developed a close group of friends and am very happy with all the great people and interesting characters I've met.
The small campus lends a great feel to the whole experience, from social to academic. If you want to know everyone you see this is the college for you.
The social experiment that is New College has a multitude of flaws. For starters, there is a severe lack of interest by faculty and staff regarding college safety; the number of sexual assaults that were actually reported in 2008-2009 were met with dismissal and overall ignorance. Disgusting. The curriculum, however "diverse" it claims to be, is in fact incredibly narrow for freshman students (almost every class that can be considered a "core-requirement" for a major is intended for upper-level classmen). To top it all off, the grading system is pass/fail, meaning the success or failure of the individual student is entirely subjective to the personalized method of the professor. You want to go party? By all means, go to New College. You want an actual education that can lead to larger job opportunities? Go elsewhere.
Start Your Review of New College of Florida
New College is definitely a place for select individuals. I highly suggest taking a tour of campus and, if at all possible, get to know some of the students at the school before attending. They say that they are a very diverse campus, but they really aren't a diverse campus. They just attract individuals with diverse lifestyle choices.
NCF is insufferable. It's a toxic, negative, poorly kept, and regressive place where students find a lack of self care to be "cute" and "aesthetic". Jokes are often made such as: "if you're not severely depressed, you're not at NCF". In addition, it's a given that upper years will hate you on principal. They'll call you stupid and uneducated simply because you haven't spent time at the school. They'll also tell you that "you'll hate this place too after four years". The drug culture is rampant. Every 3rd person is tripping acid in public places. Self care is frowned upon and if you don't fit the aesthetic of being poor, hungry, sad, and dazed: you're not "new college" enough. No matter what admissions tells you about this "diverse and passionate" community: DO NOT CHOOSE THIS SCHOOL.
I can't imagine having gotten a better undergraduate education anywhere else! Sarasota is a warm beachside city with plenty of great shops and restaurants, and New College's beautiful campus sits right on the bay. Class sizes are small, education is individualized, and the narrative evaluation system keeps the coursework very rigorous. New College students work hard and play hard!
New College is both a great and terrible place. It helped me grow as a person and I found some of the best people while attending. However, the structure of this college is not for everyone. Honestly, it puts its students through unbelievable amounts of stress and will either break you and build you back stronger or just break you. Every single student I talked to was stressed out all the time. And that's even before thesis year when fourth years are supposed to balance health, studies, and thesis. Guess which one is forgone to counterbalance the load. New College hurts a lot. I wish someone would have told me that before I went.
The academics are great. There's also research opportunities if you are passionate about it.

The party scene at New is decent. Big parties are held in public areas, so the atmosphere seems safer. Substances on campus are adundant. There's a ton of safety resources. We have an amnesty clause that makes sure no student is disciplined for getting help. Talks are held about drug safety, especially for people who may experiment.

The downsides: New is a great school for people who are very passionate about one/a few topics. It's not great for people who haven't figured out what they want to do. I knew people who came here because they didn't have to choose a major right away. They had a hard time and most transferred. Also the classes are hard. You have to be interested in the topic to be willing to put in the work.
New College of Florida welcomes diversity, passion, and individuality. It allows you to tailor your education to your specific needs, and choose your own path to your degree. The narrative evaluation system allows you to be judged not based on the performance of other people, but on your own progress. The small size of the school allows each student to be given individual attention from professors and staff. The academics are challenging, and engaging. It's a good school to attend if you like learning!
I absolutely hated it here. The "no grades" gimmick attarcted me because I believed the campus would be one that inspired creativity and learning. However, despite all of the individuality the school claimed to support, I felt the entire school experience was like living in a bubble. With only a few hundred students attending, it was very easy to stand out if you did not fit the "New College" look. Learning, studying, and generally caring about anything was highly discouraged. Also, the drug atmosphere on campus was so ridiculous and rampant that it was hard to find anything to do on campus. Everything was highly overrated and I left as soon as I could.
Take into consideration exactly how liberal you truly are when you apply here. The people here are intense, there is literally one ideology at this school and if you don't believe in it they'll ostracize you. THERE IS NO DIVERSITY! The rooming situation is HORRIBLE, and there's literally nothing you can do about it. Personally, I had like the worst possible rooming situation ever, she literally made me feel unsafe. When I informed the head of housing they basically said that I had to deal with it. The main portion of campus looks pretty rundown. The only parts that are presentable are the bay side campus and the letter dorms. The positives of the school are the instructors, like I do feel like I have learned a lot from them and I'm definitely smarter than I was when I arrived. But with that being said the cons definitely outweigh the pros. Like I said in the beginning, reflect on how liberal you actually are, because if you're "normal" you'll literally go crazy at this school.
New College was a terrific education, and the personal relationships I developed with my professors resulted in letters of recommendation that launched my graduate work at Stanford and Harvard. After I received my PhD I came back and taught a course at New College just for fun and it was so rewarding to see the other side of the educational process there. I highly recommend this school for intellectually curious students who want to be challenged to grow beyond what they thought possible. In terms of my career path and return on investment, I received scholarships and graduated debt free and now have a job where I use my degree and skills and live (very) comfortably.
New College of Florida is a really small school. With under 1000 students, it is possible to form close, personal relationships with professors and advisors. These tight bonds lead to incredible opportunities that aren't always available at large schools. However, the small size also presents some disadvantages. Although the connections are very personable, unfortunately they are not quite at plentiful.
The people are super friendly . There's a lot of good resources on campus if you're willing to go and find them. CEO building has a new program called a life couch program. Its quite useful for a first year.
I highly recommend this school. It has small class sizes and professors encourage students to come talk to them about anything that would help them succeed in their classes. Written evaluations are great because students get to know exactly how they need to improve regardless of what level they are at. It's a great personal touch and much more useful than letter grades.
I truly believe that anyone that is familiar and understands the school understands its great value as a school
The school is amazing however, there needs to be more and better housing as well as more students to help dilute some of the extremism that is prominent at New
Start Your Review of New College of Florida
New cCollege has nearly no assault and the one time I was close enough to witness the process, it was taken very seriously, though not as quickly as it should have been
It is sad that it is cheaper to live off campus and that its so difficult to live off campus
Don't have greek life and highly doubt the school would be able to handle the greek life