Montserrat College of Art Reviews

My son is very comfortable with his classes & tells me that his teachers are very knowledgeable, providing enough support so he can continue learning, improving his artistic talents, & maintaining his relationships with teachers & classmates in the community.
The dorms were closed during Spring 2020 due to the Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic, so my Spring Semester of Freshman Year 2019-2020 was finished online while living at home with my family.
Where to even begin? The absolute lies they told me were the biggest problem. They said they would help find internships, they didn't. I had an internship with a horrible game company that wanted me to work 100+ hours a week for no pay. They said they would help us find jobs after college, I have never heard from career services. The animation department is a joke, most of the classes were taught through YouTube tutorials (which are free, I didn't pay $120k to watch YouTube). When I had to have massive surgery they said they would be understanding and were actually horrible to me and did not help me accommodate my disabilities. I will never recommend, overpriced charlatans, if I could sue for my money back I would.
Start Your Review of Montserrat College of Art
I am soon to be a junior at Montserrat. So far my experience has been quite good. Foundation year is pretty heavy on projects and working as a team with your classmates but towards the end of the year it becomes natural. I think this helps a lot for when you progress with each year as the work is easier to manage despite taking challenging courses.
The school is small which means you get to know people quite well and fairly quickly. After two years I seem to know everyone, even people I have never had an interaction with. It creates that sense of a tight-knit community which other schools don't seem to have. Most people are in-the-know about what's going on around campus.
So far my favorite thing is the classes. I have learned and developed my skills so much since I started here. This is probably because of each professor teaching their own techniques and advising us uniquely with each class, so you take away pieces of their skills and apply them to your own.
not a good school. I was lucky to get out within my first semester there but many of my friends continue to complain about how they are mistreated. the school is a joke and many it is very obviously going under. if you can avoid going, please do.
Montserrat is a small school, so its much more personal and easier to get involved. I've been able to get opportunities here that I wouldn't have at other schools such as a solo show and a studio space as a junior. The school is in downtown Beverly so it's easy for me to get where I need to be.
I love the Montserrat Community and the relationships you can make with your peers and the faculty. The fact that Montserrat is a smaller school makes it easier to connect with your professors, benefiting your artistic career and improving your time at college.
They are many things that I liked about Montserrat since the first day I step there, one of them is how everyone respects people personalities, they gender and color. Another thing that I liked were my classes that they gave me, the classes are really interesting and practical. Something that surprised me in my orientation was how the college is not just one, it is divided in many buildings! I’m enjoying a lot and hopefully I will like more things about it.
Montserrat College of Art is a nice school if you're looking for a small school. And That's what I was looking for. This school offers a lot of access and a lot of opportunities, and the location is convenient. Right smack in the middle of a pretty town, a few blocks from the beach.
The pre-college summer course for high schoolers is the best way to experience a bit of what college will be like. I stayed in an apartment with other kids, had some great classes, cooked and cleaned on my own, and had tons of fun. If you have the chance to do this and get a feel for the whole college thing, do it.
The convenience to downtown stores and restaurants, and the comfortable living lifestyle of the apartment-style dormitories is an attractive feature. The class size seems to be very appropriate for the learning experience. The school size is attractive for my son, who is not attracted to schools with large campus size.
I’ve gone here only one full year and already know it’s absolute garbage. The graduation rate is so low because of transfers, not the fact that no one can do art. Literally our campus is falling apart. I’m on the second of three floors and my ceiling leaks brown sludge and no one will do anything about it. There’s dead mice in the stove and we were given kill traps to solve the problem. On top of that, our carbon monoxide detectors didn’t go off when they most certainly should have and all of our elevators are way over their inspection date. There are even more problems than what I’ve stated but I’m going to leave them out for space sake. Take it from me, don’t put yourself through this. It’s a bad idea.
My time at Montserrat has been an enjoyable one to say the least, as I have been able to finally begin to expand and develop my artistic sensibilities in an environment that places emphasis on doing so, allowing me to grow as an artist. I do wish I was capable for entering courses more fit into my professional direction earlier, however.
I adore going to this school. However, living conditions and food concerns are a major issue, seeing as you aren't 100% sure you can afford to eat every day. Also, a few of the houses are awful.
I transferred to Montserrat this year as a sophomore. I love the small classroom size and being able to connect easily with professors. I find my major in graphic design to be challenging and interesting. I like the apartment style living and preparing my own meals as I am very independent. I love the Beverly area with easy access to Boston, beaches, shopping, and cultural events. It’s a great match for me, as I didn’t like a traditional college setting of dorms, dining halls, and partying.
Its alright. I am currently a second semester freshman but am transferring out because they don't offer the major I intend to go into. Some of the people who got accepted really shouldn't have. The teachers are really nice and are practicing artists, but most art school teachers are. Overall it's too expensive for what you get, the dorms are eeh, and if you aren't a far left winged SJW feminist you might have a hard tome finding people like you, as I have, If you do go here, no matter what major you are in you should take Tim Harney's Life Drawing class, he is a great teacher and his class has changed how I do art for the better.
The teachers are passionate about their subjects and that translates well into the lessons. The classes are small, which in turn means that each student gets more quality time with the teacher to allow them to better understand the subject. The lack of a food program means that students have to learn to fend for themselves as far as meals go, but the dorms all have access to fridges, ovens, stoves, and other cooking requirements, and Beverly has a huge amount of diners and other stores so that students are never short of options.
Start Your Review of Montserrat College of Art
Attending Montserrat was one of the best choices I've ever made. I loved the small student body size, because it let me get to know my fellow students/artists better, not to mention smaller class sizes made it much easier for professors to know me. It's a very welcoming environment and lacks the competitive feeling you get at many other art schools. It's located right next to a park and it's a five minute walk from the beach, not to mention it's right in the middle of downtown so there's lots of businesses and restaurants around.
Montserrat is unique in its campus size, apartment-style living, & close connection to the surrounding North Shore community, which provides a one-of-a-kind education & customizable culture for its students. The professors are diverse, personable people who are simultaneously working artists, & give authentic, supportive critiques. They actively engage with students in and out of the classroom. Montserrat staff are attentive, insightful, & approachable--from first time freshmen to old time alumni, all are important. Beverly and the surrounding towns are highly supportive & actively participating in the arts scene, through a wide variety of internship opportunities with local businesses, & community art programs and events. Montserrat is a place for all types of creative thinkers, allowing each individual to learn the way they want to learn, sharpen familiar skills or develop new ones, & be their own unique, powerful person.
Montserrat College of Art was a very good college for students looking for a small, close knit community. The town is very small and the dorms were not my favorite. The dorms were little apartments with about 7-8 people. No dining plan, students will be incharge or going to grocery store and cooking in their apartments. Their classrooms are very nice and show much potential