grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Valuegrade B+
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Campusgrade A
- Athleticsgrade A+
- Party Scenegrade A
- Professorsgrade A
- Locationgrade C+
- Dormsgrade A minus
- Campus Foodgrade A
- Student Lifegrade A+
- Safetygrade B+
Mississippi State is a highly rated public university located in Mississippi. It is a large institution with an enrollment of 17,113 undergraduate students. Admissions is fairly competitive as the Mississippi State acceptance rate is 54%. Popular majors include Liberal Arts and Humanities, Kinesiology and Exercise Science, and Business. Graduating 61% of students, Mississippi State alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $33,400.
NCAA Division I-FBS
Mississippi State University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Mississippi State Admissions
Considered but not required
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Students also applied to ...
Will You Get In?
$16,471 / year
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Average Total Aid Awarded
$11,561 / year
Students Receiving Financial Aid
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 125 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 148 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 148 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Liberal Arts and Humanities404 Graduates
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science271 Graduates
- Business248 Graduates
- Mechanical Engineering179 Graduates
- Communications159 Graduates
- Biology140 Graduates
- Psychology140 Graduates
- Elementary Education131 Graduates
- Marketing128 Graduates
- Chemical Engineering99 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 108 responses
- We are all different in our own ways.34%
- Diverse with MSU pride19%
- Unique and caring8%
Freshmen Live On-Campus
No data available
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 167 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life. 196 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 112 responses
- Hail State!65%
- All of the above!16%
- People's University11%
- Home away from home2%
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
$40,200 / year
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 95 responses
Colleges like Mississippi State University
- grade B minusDelta State University
- 4 Year
- Cleveland, MS
- Rating 3.55 out of 5 394 reviews
- grade B+University of Southern Mississippi
- 4 Year
- Hattiesburg, MS
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 1,714 reviews
- grade B+Millsaps College
- 4 Year
- Jackson, MS
- Rating 3.96 out of 5 226 reviews
- grade CMississippi Valley State University
- 4 Year
- Itta Bena, MS
- Rating 3.41 out of 5 333 reviews
Mississippi State University Reviews
Rating 3.91 out of 5 2,053 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
With everything that is going on in the world today, from COVID-19 to racial inequality and fighting the broken system, MSU has taken steps to provide their students what the want. In the midst of a pandemic, MS State has been very helpful with keeping all us healthy and safe. And in terms of fighting for BLM movements and social justice, our leaders have gone to the government with efforts to change the state flag of Mississippi, spread awareness of systematic racism and how to fight it, as well as encourage using our first amendment and the right to peaceful protest. I am thankful for the steps State has taken during these times of unrest and change. Go dawgs and Hail State!
The university offers a unique experience that is inclusive to all races, genders, ethnic and religious backgrounds plus so much more! Mississippi State University is the most diverse school in the Southeastern Conference and has at least one student in attendance from over 200 countries. That's amazing!
Being a student at Mississippi State has been a great adventure! I am an out-of-state student and traveling far from home can have its rough moments; however, Mississippi State was quick to make me feel at home and a part of a group! I was quickly involved in sports and different organizations that helped me meet some of my best friends today. Mississippi State has taught me the importance of going to class, using resources around me, and trying my hardest in any situation. One thing that I would change at Mississippi State University is the attitude of certain majors. Often times, certain majors get praised for being a higher raised income in the future; whereas, in lower income majors, they are often mocked and looked down on and not taken care of through the students and the building.