Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design Reviews

Coming from out of state, I can say that I have truly fallen in love with the city of Milwaukee and MIAD. The professors here are friendly and accommodating, and I can tell that I am set up for success. My advice to incoming freshman: just visit! See if you like it yourself. MIAD (and art school) is not for everyone.
I am in love with all of my classes. I came 2,000 miles to go to this school and I'm not disappointed at all. The improvement in my skills in just these first 3 months is absolutely outstanding. The teachers are all very helpful and understanding, but not scared to provide you with criticism. The classes in freshman year are very diverse and I've discovered that I really love woodworking. The advisers in the various shops and studio spaces are incredibly helpful too, whether it's for a class or independent project.
It has a lot of things you can go and make the people feel at home. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in 5 majors and is considered the successor to the Layton School of Ar
Start Your Review of Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
There is so many different kinds of people here and from all over and the school community is very accepting of many different ideals and beliefs. The walls are always covered with some kind of art, and there are regular art shows in the galleries located on the river level and the forth floor raw space. You will see faculty art work on the walls of the river level as well, and even in the gallery. Student work is also shown and it is mind boggling to see what is created. There is also a photo gallery on the second floor which display work from many different artist.
The school offers professionals in the industry as instructors, which is awesome for learning about the industry but sometimes not so helpful in the ways of learning the trade/craft side of things. Although the school has been compared to Bauhaus, there also isn't a lot of opportunity for interdisciplinary education.
Graduating from MIAD with a BFA means a lot in Milwaukee to people who want to give you a job. Outside of the city, not many people are familiar with the school but if you have a portfolio of work, it speaks a lot. The degree doesn't mean a lot, but the education and the work you put in is definitely something to be proud of.
The building is brand new and right across the street from the building classes are held in. I lived there for one year and the dorms are student apartments with two students in a bedroom and two bedrooms to a unit. There are also two bathrooms. The building doesn't accommodate social events very well because eager participation is low. The school is located in a very expensive district of the city so the housing price is excellent in comparison to what is directly around, but still extremely expensive.
There is no Greek Life at MIAD.
There are no athletics affiliated with MIAD and the club atmosphere is terrible. Most clubs are run by students who don't really know what they're doing and don't have enough time to put effort into them.
Brand new apartments make for an amazing living experience and the close proximity to school is even better!
I haven't started at MIAD yet, not until the fall of this year, but so far my interactions with staff and other students has been amazing!
I think the security team is great, and I feel pretty safe with them.
I think there is a great ease to finding a career on campus and being able to discuss with Career Services.
I think the professors are very knowledgeable in the field. It's nice to have teachers who really care about our progress as artists.
I think TWO50TWO is absolutely the perfect housing experience.
The only Greek organization available is the Honor Society, which is relatively easy to become a member in!
MIAD doesn't really offer any athletics, which is an issue. I don't think there necessarily needs to be Sports, but health and wellness should be pushed further.
Start Your Review of Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
MIAD is an excellent school for discovering who you are as an artist. The Foundations (Freshmen) year is designed to really help students figure out who they are in their first year.
Almost every student that graduates finds a job in the career they are looking to seek. The school it also very good with finding internships and jobs. The alumni is also very close with the school and is good with helping students financially. Some of the alumni even hire students strait our of college and a good chunk of them provide internships.
Most classes have a max of 15 students. The class rooms are nice, because it not just a bunch desks in rows, they are all different and create specifically for certain types of classes.