Middlebury College Reviews

its a really good neighborhood. peaceful and quiet. all the teachers get along with students. there is alot of activity and the campus is really pretty
I spent the weekend at Middlebury with the swim team and absolutely loved it. The coaches and teammates were so welcoming and I loved the two classes I sat in on.
Middlebury College is beautiful and academically rigorous and has the potential to provide you with four years of great education, great friends, and great opportunities. However, it is very white, very wealthy, very normative, very straight and does not do a good job of supporting all of its students. I happened to be one of the privileged students who Middlebury caters to, and had an incredible time but I am very aware of the college's flaws.
Start Your Review of Middlebury College
Its been an okay experience, but I havent been here too long. The clubs I have joined so far have been very welcoming.
At Middlebury it felt like home and I felt accepted to learn despite of my being away from Los Angeles.
I would not change anything about my experience at Midd. Every professor I had exuded enthusiasm for their subject that inspired us students to fully apply ourselves. The student body is welcoming while brilliant in areas such as music, academics, and athletics. The campus is beautiful, and the overall area is one that I can truly call a home away from home. The only drawbacks I can think of are the high costs (which exists at any elite institution) and the fact that students and teachers sometimes unintentionally impose left-leaning ideas onto students, although an active effort is being made to eliminate that.
I personally think that Middlebury is a great college, academically and socially. Though Middlebury may have a bad rep for being so isolated from large cities and towns, the many different activities on campus make up for the lack of city life. Academics here are excellent, with great professors who are more than willing to spend their time with you to make sure you are doing the best you can.
Middlebury College is a wonderful campus with many student clubs, and many international students which is really amazing. The campus is small which is nice to know it very quickly. Plus the scenery is simply amazing: surrounded by mountains. The classes are all pretty small which is nice to participate, and the professors are always available if students have questions.
It's hard to articulately describe my experience at Middlebury. I've grown intellectually, met fantastic friends, and am so thankful for the opportunity to be a part of such a great community. I'm often in awe of my peers – there are so many passionate and engaged individuals at this school. As a gay midwesterner, I was unsure of how I'd adapt to Middlebury's culture, but I couldn't be happier. The academics are rigorous, but I've found them to be rewarding.
The community atmosphere is the foundation of what makes this school incredible. Everyone is so friendly, and helpful, and smart, that it inspires you to be more that way. Academically the school is challenging enough that you feel pushed, and sometimes overly so, but that is how you progress. The food is phenomenal, and no swipe system means that you get it whenever you want. It is one of the safest school campuses, with very low rates of disturbances, and while the party scene is small, that is what people come to Midd for, the small close-knit feel. I trust everyone here enough to leave my backpack in the dining hall at breakfast, and come back at dinner to retrieve it, which translates to fruitful and interesting acquaintance making all the time, especially at the frequent events hosted by the college. Go here, its nearly impossible to regret it.
The academics here are superb, and the professors are probably my favorite part about Middlebury. They are all engaging, knowledgeable, and more than willing to discuss content outside of class. Truly, I talk to a professor after class virtually every day--they create a wonderful intellectual environment and they're some of my best friends. Campus food is excellent, though it sometimes can be difficult if you have a food allergy as I do, depending on the meal. Dorms do the job, I don't really care about housing that much and got a single when I wanted one, so it's fine by me. The facilities are ridiculously nice, every building I've entered has impressed me.
We don't have greek life, so a lot of the social scene is determined by sports teams, both varsity and club.
Student involvement is high, team performance is generally very good (multiple national championships were won last year), and athletic facilities are great.
Cannot imagine a better place for hardworking, creative students who revel in their individuality.
I don't feel very qualified to speak generally, but I haven't had a problem with the housing process. Good roommate selection, fine dorm room. You'll probably get a single if you want one after freshman year.
There's not much going on downtown--it being rural Vermont--but Midd Rides provides good transportation and the on-campus parties are a great time.
Totally depends on what you're looking for. I'm a member of the ultimate frisbee team, which is known for wild parties, but I'm sure they're not the Bacchanalian ragers you'd probably find at some state schools. If you're looking for that, you probably won't find it at Midd. But we certainly like to have a good time on the weekends, and you'll find parties Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (and sometimes Wednesday if you're on the frisbee team). We don't have frats, so most of the parties are through the sports teams. Personally, the intensity and frequency of Midd parties are pretty much perfect for me.
Start Your Review of Middlebury College
I have never ever felt unsafe on campus, though I'm speaking as a male. I know there was one theft on campus this year, but I think that was just an aberration. People leave their backpacks with their laptops in them wherever--it's Vermont, so.
Speaking personally, Middlebury has seemed quite diverse to me. My closest friends here represent Montana, Massachusetts, Texas, Maine, and France. Those five individuals vary (signficantly) in sexual orientation, political ideology, race, economic background, and nationality. So I think it's at least fair to say that you won't have to go out of your way to find someone who is different from you, which is mind-opening.
The professors are exceptional, the course variety is superb, and registration is simple. The workload is no greater than I'd expect it to be at an elite college, but I certainly did more work in high school. Teachers are accomodating in that regard. Truly though, I'm not an effusive person, but the academics at Middlebury--at least what I've experienced in the humanities--are just a delight and tremendously enriching, particularly if you are partial to a more intimate learning experience.