- 4 Year
- HOUGHTON, MI
COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Fall 2021: Michigan Tech plans to return to face-to-face, on-campus instruction. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Valuegrade A+
- Diversitygrade B
- Campusgrade B
- Athleticsgrade B
- Party Scenegrade B
- Professorsgrade A+
- Locationgrade A minus
- Dormsgrade B minus
- Campus Foodgrade C+
- Student Lifegrade A minus
- Safetygrade A
Michigan Technological University is a public research university, home to more than 7,000 students from 54 countries. Founded in 1885, the University offers more than 120 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in science and technology, engineering, forestry, business and economics, health professions, humanities, mathematics, and social sciences.
Consistently ranked among the best universities in the country for return on investment, Michigan Tech has an undergraduate job placement rate of 92 percent, and alumni are in the top 10 nationally for early career pay with a median starting salary of $66,400.
Michigan Tech’s rural location offers year-round adventure – on foot, water, bike, and skis. Situated in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, campus overlooks the Keweenaw Waterway and is just a few miles from Lake Superior.
Michigan Technological University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 58 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 68 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 68 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Mechanical Engineering294 Graduates
- Chemical Engineering92 Graduates
- Electrical Engineering84 Graduates
- Civil Engineering79 Graduates
- Computer Science54 Graduates
- Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering52 Graduates
- Computer Hardware Engineering52 Graduates
- Engineering39 Graduates
- Environmental Engineering38 Graduates
- Mechanical Engineering Technician38 Graduates
- Mix of Online and on Campus5%
- On Campus94%
- Crazy Smart48%
- Proudly nerdy17%
- The odds are good, but the goods are odd7%
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join. 88 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life. 101 responses
- Crazy Smart6%
- Home away from home2%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 38 responses
Michigan Technological University Reviews
Further, the outdoor area surrounding Tech is superb. Tech operates its own ski hill (Mt Ripley), golf course, and bike trails. In the warmer months, you can swim at Prince's Point. As the fall comes, the trees look incredible. And in the winter you can climb a frozen waterfall if you want. You can even see the Milky Way at Brockway Mountain, and if you're lucky, the Aurora Borealis!
One last thing: We get a lot of snow here, so keep that in mind. However, the buildings are very close together and some are connected.