McGill University Reviews

I wouldn't change anything about my time at McGill! I go to another school now post-grad and McGill was by far the best experience: academics, professors, vibe on campus. Students at McGill are chill - friendlier than other schools I've been to, even though I know some reviews on here say otherwise; and smart. Yes, there's competition - but that's any school. It was definitely not hard to make friends. McGill deserves its solid reputation - which I must say, has helped me immensely post-grad. I do believe I've gotten the jobs placements and further education I have had because I have McGill on my CV. I really recommend McGill, especially for someone looking for a Bachelor of Science degree. You'll have to work very hard to do well, but it's certainly possible.
I was a BSc (Hons) study majoring in Geography. The Geography Department is by far one of the university’s best. It’s class sizes are small and create a tight community for its students. Faculty are exceptional and accessible. The mandatory field trips form the foundation of strong bonds among its students.
McGill allowed me to come out of my shell and helped bridge the gap from high school to adulthood. I loved the classes that were offered and the fact that it was in downtown Montreal, so it was easy to do some shopping between classes or go to a new cafe to study.
Start Your Review of McGill University
McGill is a wonderful university with an extremely diverse group of students in both undergraduate and graduate programs. There are a ton of clubs and services available to students, and a very inclusive environment.
McGill was a challenging university in an incredible city! It's a school that pushes you to live up to it's top tier expectation, and in doing so it holds you to the highest standards of academics. You'll spend hours and hours in the library, made full on coffee, but when you leave in four years, you'll do so content and proud of what you accomplished. It's a school that prizes research, though it doesn't offer undergraduates with many opportunities to get involved in this research. Overall, it is rigorous school in a lively city that will expect and challenge you to be a competitive scholar.
McGill offers a wide variety of resources to foster the success of their students.It is a rigorously academic university that suits hard workers. It is one of the largest universities in Canada with tons of clubs and ways to get involved.
Some departments generate more grieving files than desirable, implicating names such as Michel Paradis and Marta Crago.
Extremely large and impersonal classes your first two years as a science student. Student body lacks enthusiasm for the school and shows no school spirit. Buildings may look nice on the outside, but the insides are a huge disappointment. Many of the old buildings were gutted and remodeled inside without preserving the original style of the interior. A lot of classrooms lack windows and are very bland and depressing to sit in at 8:30 am for over an hour.
Probably the best value for higher education in North America, period. As an American, you get the quality of UC-Berkeley or U of Michigan for barely more than what you'd pay at your in-state flagship. You also get to live in Montreal, an incredibly affordable, livable, diverse, and cultured city, where the drinking age is 18. If you're after big-time athletics and Greek life, don't come to McGill. But if anything, that makes the social scene far more welcoming and inclusive, because everyone's in it together. (It, of course, being the butt-kicking academics and total lack of coddling/hand-holding, which, trust me, are both things you will come to appreciate later in life if you don't know.)
i currently study in mac campus and lack of shuttle is bit of pain..
but atmosphere and people around are great! they are all fun and has very unique life style
There is no denying that you will work very hard to succeed at this school. It is highly competitive, and requires a very high level of motivation. That being said, you are surrounded by outspoken and intelligent peers, and forward-thinking, passionate, and world-class professors. I am very satisfied with my experience at McGill and Montreal in general.
One thing I would like to point out is that the administration at McGill is abominable. If you are trying to see and advisor, access health services, or Service Point, you will inevitably wait a long time. Everything is so bureaucratic that it is impossible to get a simple and concrete answer from anyone that is not a professor.
The best thing about McGill University is that despite being such a large college with a student body of nearly 40,000 individuals, it pays attention to you as an individual. It celebrates and promotes your personal growth whether that growth is academic, athletic or artistic. If anyone is looking for a great education with an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere, I would definitely recommend considering McGill.
McGill was an interesting place to be. The education was invaluable, as were the relationships I made with professors. However, I had to really seek out professors to connect with. Classes are large, especially in first year, and you are generally on your own for the entire degree. I was not assigned an advisor or anyone to help me. I had to seek out the help if I wanted it.
McGill affiliated events are amazing and a lot of fun (Frosh, Carnival, Hype, etc.), and Montreal nightlife is just as great. Having both is what makes the school so special.
The party scene is pretty diverse and fun. You have Greek/frat parties at least every other week, as well as regular house parties. The main party though is carnival, which is a school sponsored week of drinking and insane events.
The workload is pretty serious at McGill, but most people that come here are serious about studying so it works out. There are a couple of different libraries on campus, but finding a spot in the biggest and most convenient one during exams should be an Olympic sport.
McGill is a massive hub for international students. There is a massive emphasis on safe space, both on campus and in residences. It can get a little overbearing with mandatory diversity seminars etc. in your first year, but mostly it's extremely positive and good for the students. Especially at orientation, diversity and inclusivity is widespread. We're all best friends, and any type of diversity regarding your background or ethnicity will not be the reason someone doesn't like you.
Start Your Review of McGill University
My favorite thing about McGill is that there is very little judgment surrounding drugs and alcohol. When people come from all over the world, everyone has a different background regarding drugs and alcohol. As a result everybody does their own thing. Still, everything drugs and alcohol related is extremely accessible so it's there if you want it.
I have not had any experience looking for employment yet. However many of my older friends have landed prestigious positions at great companies. Otherwise, McGill also boasts a great grad school record. A lot of kids get into Harvard etc.
Classes decrease in size the further you get in your degree. The professors are usually extremely qualified and celebrated in their field. I imagine that this is the case at most universities, but lectures do tend to get boring at times. This is mostly in your first year when you take general classes that contain 600 students. However, most courses in my program (Arts) have smaller discussion sessions in which you do presentations and talk about the class subject matter etc.. Overall I really enjoy classes in my field of study, and this is mostly because most of the degrees at McGill can be catered towards your specific interests.