Massachusetts College of Art & Design Reviews

MassArt offers many student-run events and ways to get involved right off the bat. The atmosphere is very welcoming, and I've met many wonderful students and professors so far, and I have already learned a lot about art.
Being in an art school environment and meeting different kinds of artists was inspiring and helpful to my own progress as an artist. While foundation year is helpful, it would be better if the school allowed freshmen to take electives in their intended majors so they could realize sooner rather than later whether or not they are dedicated to it. Overall great experience.
I found about half of the teachers to be rather detached and unfriendly, which didn't lead to a very helpful teacher student relationship. The facilities are good and some of the teachers were excellent, but it was not the norm. I chose not to complete my education here.
Start Your Review of Massachusetts College of Art & Design
I withdrew from MassART mid-junior year. The Animation program is a joke and the department as a whole does NOT want students to pursue digital artwork or working on animations as a commercial job. I spent most of my time making abstract animations that I didn't care about than actually animating. The professors applaud abstract 'indie' style animations, and will harshly grade digitally produced character based/narrative based work.

In my 2.5 years at MassART, I learned nothing to improve my artwork and ended up teaching myself everything. Not to mention that the school seems to care more on outward appearances based on their recent 40+ million dollar building that has little to no use for students, and yet some of the classrooms in the school have literal holes in the walls and mice infestations.

The school doesn't seem to care about students as much as they do about their appearance to people not enrolled in the school.

MassARtT was the biggest regret of my life.
I had a very amazing experience during my four years at this fine institution. The faculty is top notch and comparable to almost any other top university in the world.

This school is overall decent if you want to improve on your art. I hate how everything you make has to have deep personal meaning into the art. It drains you out after a while and most of the stuff you make has to be forced. The facility is okay, some teachers are nice but others are rude. Dorms can be annoying but its better than searching for places to live. Dorms are local too so that's a plus.
It was very in organized designed to make you spend more money by making you spend an extra semester. Only public art school very affordable but you get what you pay for. Some good teachers and facilities but unorganized anarchy but good if you can take advantage. Not many dorms or much of a campus overpriced dorms and food considering quality live off campus. I studied painting and art history. Not too exspensive but Art School is a rough investment.
Currently a Junior at MassArt. Strength: being a freshman at MassArt helped me find friends and led me stay connected with all types of people through it’s activities such as ‘Breakfast at Midnight,’ as well as its small campus. I have also found myself closely connected to my professors. This only applies to within my majors' department, my professors have been very helpful in giving me advices as well as recommendations.Error: MassArt, being in the city, you would think that the school would be more diverse. But unfortunately that is not the case, too many times, throughout MassArt, I have found myself being the only racial individual in the class. I have also noted more females than males, which I find to be difficult to get the most of critics because of the lack of diversity. MassArt has not been helpful in connecting students to the city of Boston. Being new to the city, I was not able to further from campus because I had no initial introduction to the city from the school.
I was adamant against going to college before I first visited Massachusetts College of Art and Design. However, within the first few minutes of my tour of the school, my mind opened up to the possibilities the school offered. I have never enjoyed school. In high school especially, I struggled to reform to the strict rules and enforced attitudes. I had not dreamed of a learning atmosphere where the student's input and idea's were valued as much as a teachers, of a place that encouraged individuality and self expression to the extent that Mass Art does. I feel myself growing and discovering so much about myself as an artist, because my school allows me to trust my intuition. Massachusetts College of Art and Design give's it's students access to incredible equipment and subject matter, but for me the most amazing attribute the school has to offer is the strength it instills in it's students, to trust themselves and pursue whatever it is that we want to explore.
Entering Massachusetts College of Art and Design, I was introduced to a whole new environment. Everyone on this campus is so open minded and accepting. I felt like I could do anything and be anything without being judged. Academics wise, MassArt has definitely challenged me and has taught me to be a better artist.
I like everyone supports each other's art. I would like to see the school invest for art supplies for the students, since its so expensive.
Massart has made me into a much stronger artist, the teachers are incredible and the fascilities are insane! I am happy here my only complaint is the lack of financial help
Student art everywhere,which is nice. Could be more diverse racially, but diverse in terms of artistic styles and LGBT. Good Public Safety on campus. Some of the teachers are bad with creating and following efficient syllabi (syllabus).
MassArt is a great melting pot of different cultures coming together to create art. The downsides are the fact that your liberal arts classes are graded and your other classes are pass or fail
Professors in Fashion aren't encouraging, but at least I learned a lot. Liberal Arts classes are mediocre. Not enough equipment, but the library and resources are decent.
MassArt is such an accepting and creative environment to study and work for. I can tell that every professor genuinely cares for their students' success.
I am currently a senior in animation at MassArt and I have never felt more a part of a community. Here at MassArt I have not only found myself creatively, but I found my true self. Through the talented and helpful professors, I have learned how to do incredible works of art through practice, practice and more practice. My peers have been absolutely wonderful; they are not only loyal and genuine individuals, they are my inspirations. Like most schools, there are a couple things that need to be worked through, such as foundation/freshman year, the cafeteria food, and the understanding and patience of freshman year professors. The liberal art classes are interesting- not your average scientist class (i.e. Physical of music, bio art) - and the various majors offered are at the upmost functioning degree. However, above all else, it is without a doubt that the community at MassArt is much stronger and tighter than our education program.
Start Your Review of Massachusetts College of Art & Design
A lot so great teachers who are about the growth of their students. Lots of opportunities available for students to get involved on campus.
Profs and admin really cares a lot for students and the people here are eclectic and weird but sweet. You won't get the "classic" college experience here that you would at a state university but you will get the art college experience which is equally fun and fulfilling. Get used to seeing your friends and classmates naked.
MassArt has great diversity and accommodation. The professors care about how you do and know when you don't come to class.