Massachusetts Bay Community College Reviews

Everything is so limited, classes are too easy, students don't want to learn, and professors think less of us because we're at a community college.
My experience at Massachusetts Bay Community College was life changing. The was no excuse for falling behind because the amazing staff that was always there to help me. This school taught me not only academic skills but social skills as well. Why it's so important to be aware of different cultures and ethnicities.
Overall I had a great experience. The teachers and faculty are great. I'd enhance more student activities.
Review Massachusetts Bay Community College
Some of the required classes for your specific major may not be available as online classes or night classes, which is a real bummer. Or a certain class will be available only on the Framingham campus, which can be inconvenient.
Some professors just do not know how to use Blackboard. You will get teachers who think discussion board posts should be formatted like essays, or teachers who think it's reasonable to expect you to submit five assignments per week. With online classes just make sure you read the syllabus in advance to know when things are due, and force your professors to clarify expectations if they are vague.
Alumni network isn't really much of a thing, being a community college. Career center is okay but really Mass Bay is a means to an end. You're not going to get employed with just an AA, you're here to get your AA and then transfer somewhere else to get your bachelors before you will get a real job.
The class sizes are smaller than I expected, which I was impressed by and something I really enjoy with the class discussions. Your style of class definitely depends on the professor, some prefer to just read powerpoint slides while others really engage you with discussions and activities. Look up professors names on ratemyprofessor or other similar sites before you enroll in classes each semester.
Mass Bay is a true community college, not a for-profit university. It cares more about you and your future than making money. You can advance your career here, but of course it's up to you to select the right major and do your research about which fields are ideal for employment.
I do wish there was a major in Human Services which could be transferred to UMass Boston as part of the Mass Transfer program, because that's what I want to do with my life and hopefully get a Masters in Social Work eventually. The closest thing I can do is get an AA in Psychology, transfer to UMass Boston for a BA in Social Psychology, and then apply to grad school for my MSW.
This is definitely the best community college in the Boston area (I would know, I tried Bunker Hill and Roxbury Community College). It has a surprisingly good academic reputation, and professors who genuinely care!
I really love all the professors at the college! I have never had any trouble with any of them. They are so helpful and understanding. I also really love the programs and certificates available. I am studying Interior Design and the certificate is a great start for my future! The teachers really do care about you doing well. Something that I would like to see a difference in would be the staff in the front office that takes all payments. They don't seem to have much interest in helping succeed and going through simple processes. I would also love to see more events where students can meet other students. It's hard being in a community college where your restricted from living with other students and being in a small community like regular colleges. Other than that, I would recommend MassBay to anyone, any day.
In all honesty, I love planning out my class schedule and the more hassle it is, the more I love it. It just gives me a challenge to solve. I've only tried to transfer AP credits and while my calculus credits came thru, I was a but sad that my AP Biology credits only transferred for lower level biology (because AP Chemistry credits transferred as the higher level classes)
I prefer an in classroom experience, but since I couldn't fit the lecture into my schedule, I chose the online class and it was more convienent with my schedule. Most of the interactions were done thru written work and discussions online, but there is nothing really face to face unless you need to see the professor or an in person exam.
MassBay has the MassTransfer/ATA (depends on your program) where you can transfer to a four year to receive a bachelors rather than only associates. With this, if the student maintains above a 3.0 GPA, the student receives a 100% tuition waiver. MassBay makes it possible to continue your education past the assoiciates level. In the career center, the people their will help with creating your resume and help you get an interview/job/internship.
There are these job fairs that take place in the cafeteria quite often as well as college recruiting (along with military). I personally do not know much about the alumni network but the quality of recruiting is pretty decent. There are job opportunities that start with a minimum of $15, which is not bad (in my opinion).
I was in the biotechnology program, but I had to switch because the advisor (who is the only advisor) did not approve of my decision to dip my toe into a different class not apart of the curriculum. Anyway, the engineering program has a particular section for engineering and you're mostly in one of those two rooms. Depending on the teacher, the workload is not bad at all and the teachers are the best!
The teachers are awesome, but it also depends on program.
Review Massachusetts Bay Community College
There are a lot of opportunities to get internships or jobs.
It's an okay school to go to.
I haven't taken many classes but out of the ones I've taken, I've enjoyed the small classroom sizes and the attention the professors give their students.