Macalester College Reviews

My partner attends school there she always tells me how great her school is how amazing her professors are and how much she really likes it. I've stayed a few times in her dorm and well its a dorm, not too big of a party scene but fun after class activities to do. Overall seems like a great school!
really committed to diversity and excellent academics, studying here is a challenging and transformative experience!
not too many domestic students of color
Review Macalester College
Many students take initiative in the job world.
Class time can sow seeds of productive thought.
I've never felt in danger on campus.
Dorm life is fun with some good friends.
The gymnasium is open to all, athlete or not.
It's essentially a new world to explore.
Overall a really safe campus and neighborhood.
I love the profs and courses at Mac so much. Super approachable and eager to help with anything. Very very intelligent people.
Social capital is abundant at Mac.
It really depends on the dorm. Some are great, some aren't.
There are a lot of athletes on campus, but only the athletes pay any attention to sports. Intramurals are much more popular.
I love Mac! The location is great and there's a ton to do on campus and in the Cities.
Housing is pretty average across the board. A large chunk of the dorms have sinks, which is awesome, and the options improve a lot after the first year. Also, the water pressure is amazing.
School spirit revolving around sports teams isn't huge, but the support in between teams is great and the Leonard Center (and other athletic facilities) are fantastic.
Review Macalester College
I am so far very happy with Macalester. The people are interesting and kind, the professors are almost all geniuses, and the twin cities are awesome. Would definitely recommend with sufficient financial aid, which is pretty easy to get (especially need based).
There wasn't a huge amount of on-campus crime, but laptops and bikes were stolen fairly frequently. Nothing violent though. Security could be a pain in the butt because they take their job very seriously sometimes, but I didn't have a lot of run-ins with them.
I really enjoyed most of my classes and professors. I liked the small class size a lot, and I felt that the professors made an effort to be engaging. TAs were used only to lead study sessions or provide extra help in addition to office hours. Many professors were very available for office hours, some of the busier ones were a bit harder to get ahold of. The discussion-based format was far preferable to giant, impersonal lecture halls, and I felt like the course work was challenging and thought provoking. Grades and competition are present a little too much for my taste though.