James Madison University is ...
NCAA Division I-FCS
Colonial Athletic Association
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
- Apply online in just 3 minutes
- No origination, application and processing fees, no fees for early repayment
- Compare up to 10 private loan options from our network of lenders
- Find the best loan for your budget today
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.152 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.165 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.165 responses
Most Popular Majors
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.219 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.251 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 107 responsesReport
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.110 responses
James Madison University Reviews
It was a huge university and had a lot of awesome people. The professors, staff and faculty all seemed really nice. I enjoyed my electives a lot! The education and psychology departments are phenomenal. However, I recommend everyone stay away from the physics and chemistry department. A lot of the professors have a language barrier or teach above your head intentionally. The class averages do suffer, but there's a huge curve at the end, which means you learn nothing but pass. There is a lot to do around campus, but the area is a ghost town when students leave for break. The people of the town are racist, so this not a people of color friendly location. The minority population is usually segregated (own parties, fraternities, and extra-curriculars) from the rest of the community. It is a beautiful campus and I would recommend the school overall but had to put in a disclaimer.
I love the campus and all the students! There's a wide variety of students here that guarantees ease in finding friends in classes and other places on campus. There's also so much to do every week! JMU offers so many organizations and clubs to join as well as fun activities for the whole campus to join in on. The reason I didn't give JMU 5 stars is because there are some small difficulties that arise for me throughout the school year. For example, it is very difficult to register for classes and get all the classes you need to satisfy graduation requirements, especially as a freshman. Also, because JMU is a smaller campus with a growing student population, there are always very long lines for food, for example, because they cannot cater to every single student. These are just a few examples of small problems I face on campus, but overall, I love JMU!
Move over Disney World, JMU is the place to be! The easiest decision I have ever made was sending in my deposit to the best place on earth. The people are kind, the food is great, the professors care and the memories are sure to last a lifetime. The summer before freshman year, I was so nervous to move in, but within hours after being settled in, it was easy to call this place home! JMU dedicates the week before classes begin to the freshman class. With activities to help to get to know people to how to survive showering in college, you will feel extremely prepared for the first day of classes. GO DUKES!