1,700 reviews
  1. Arcata, CA
  2. 4 Year

Humboldt State University Reviews

1,700 reviews
It's a beautiful campus with friendly people. The local community is small and everyone knows each other. There is nowhere else on earth like here.
They have an amazing science program. The professors and instructors are more than happy to help you. The labs are hands-on and they make sure that you have the tools to learn in their class!
Humboldt State University is all about its location and the people that are drawn to this amazing place. I have been in a few conflicts with the higher ups about bike security and allowing water polo players to use the college pool. The many hours of effort ended with me and my fellow students and athletes being pushed aside as if we don't deserve even a fraction of the resources that other groups get. This is why the school is getting 3 stars from me and not a full 5 stars.
Very liberal and inclusive campus. It is very eco-friendly and vegetarian-friendly. The science department is very well established, as this university is known for having a very good environmental science program. Students are almost all very friendly, courteous, and easy to get along with. The campus overlaps with the Arcata community forest which students can use for recreation or research. The university is located in a very small town with only local businesses, but is not far from Eureka which is the nearest big city.
When I arrived at Humboldt I saw trees. The trees were pretty cool, I guess. They hug the campus like a nice sweater. You know, the kind you get from your grandmother, the nice kind. It adorns the sweater like the students do on rainy days. Warm...welcoming...that's Humboldt.

P.S They have Piece Tea so life is good.
The area of Humboldt State University's campus is absolutely breathtaking. There are few places to take in the glory of Redwood Trees and HSU is planted right next to them. Not only are the sights wonderful, HSU also has a great student life that is greatly diverse and inclusive. They take the time to set up programs and talks towards people of every background. I'd also like to stay that the academics are very fruitful and allow students for a range of options, but also options that are unique to HSU.
My experience at Humboldt State was absolutely amazing. I loved the people, I got tours of the whole campus, and I loved the views of the redwood Forrest and the ocean. The location of the school is just absolutely perfect.
I transferred to Humboldt State after my first semester of my first year and I do not regret my decision one bit. I joined the Women's Soccer team and am taking classes towards my Kinesiology Major with my emphasis as Pre-PT. I have met so many genuinely nice and knowledgeable coaches, students, and staff in both the sports programs and classes. The education here pushes you to try your best to succeed. Not only is the education great, but the location of the school is phenomenal. The university is surrounded by giant redwoods just a couple miles from the Pacific Ocean. I've had such an exciting experience in just the year I've been at Humboldt, therefore, I would recommend anybody to attend HSU.
Humboldt State University is a beautiful campus. It sets on the edge of an ancient redwood forest and has plenty of clean air. The layout of the campus has a great deal of stairs but what is good for the body is good for the mind. Their forestry and biology departments are in the top of their league as well as environmental studies. There is a well diversified campus and every ethnicity is somehow represented. The school of business is an amazing experience there is a great staff and a good culture. I love the campus and the people are beautiful.
The career center is always available to help you when you cant decide on a major to choose and what you can get out of it
  • College Sophomore
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
Im absolutely in love with the location and everything to do with my school and surroundings
There is a check it program specifically to prevent sexual assault and create awareness
I lived in a four person suite in canyon dorm and loved it! Much better than a double on its own
  • College Sophomore
  • 7 months ago
  • Housing
Team and coach support is felt at all times. They are there for you when you need them for anything, even study help. The athletic trainers are always available. The football and basketball and vollyball games are always really fun to go to as well as intramural events.
Unbelievable opportunities especially with running track and traveling to many different places. The forest in your backyard. The small downtown area with the best people on earth. The beach as close as 6 miles away in amazing. The endless opportunity for adventure.
We do not have the largest greek life community at HSU but none-the-less it is very inclusive and welcoming.
I think my school has awesome sports teams, but because they are division 2 not a lot of people attend or pay much attention to what is going on there. The variety of intramural sports is awesome.
I love Humboldt State, it is so rewarding going to a school that is in the redwoods, I can walk through the community forest during my class breaks. The professors enjoy teaching the subjects and it does not seem like they are being forced to teach, they genuinely care if you understand the material.
Employers often have a couple job fairs every semester in order hire students for part-time positions. The career center also helps out throughout the year and helps run a job-finding website. I was lucky enough to find a job on campus through the school's website.
  • College Junior
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
My experiences with 2 years worth of classes and professors has been excellent. My professors made sure everyone could afford or have access to course materials and their time and attention. Throughout the semester classes, professors would encourage students to visit them during office hours for any questions or concerns.