Humboldt State University Reviews

1,767 reviews
I enjoy being a graduate student and community member at and around Humboldt State. The natural surroundings are beautiful and lend to a unique learning environment. Humboldt State needs to make a better effort to promote diversity and connections between community and students.
i visited the college a week ago and it was more than what i expected. The campus is very nice with many trees and very natural. the area and surrounding is very unique. The diversity is strong and they have a good environmental program for people interested in majoring in environment. The food is good and the professors are nice. the school is mid size which is a big plus.
Well I am not a student attending, however being a high school senior I felt obligated to go and see colleges. Immediately Humboldt seemed like a wise choice, many of the older friends attended. Also, it is a CSU. When visiting the college I was in complete awe. The temperature was perfect, the scenery was beautiful, and the college is a nice size. Honestly the only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the town- Acadia. I is 1000% hippie town, and it has such a weird old fashion 70's vibe to it. But if you like that then GO HEAD!
Start Your Review of Humboldt State University
It's a fine school, kind of out of the way in terms of location. Came in as a transfer student, and have so far had a fair experience.
The thing that I like about this University is how big it is and how beautiful it is. I really like this university because of how the campus is and mostly because they have good academics in this college. I would not change anything at all because everything looks perfect.
HSU is a very eco-friendly school and the steps that have been taken all around campus to help reduce the carbon footprint is really impressive. Being an Environmental Resources Engineering major I appreciate the environmentally aware culture at the school.
Humboldt State University is a terrible campus under the current administration. It has the potential to become a great university if there was investment and focus on student education. I would like to see a new dean and more people of color taking administrative jobs.
I just completed my first year, and honestly it was the best year of my life. Everyone was so friendly, the campus is amazing, to truly see how wonderful it is you have to see it for yourself.
The area is unsafe and literally anyone can come onto the campus, so I’ve interacted with drug addicted homeless people right outside of my dorm, by my classes, and even in the buildings. There’s a housing problem so many students are homeless. I also don’t recommend the school to anyone who isn’t an environment science, botany, or zoology major because there is zero funding for any other program.
I've had some amazing professors here, but I've also had some truly terrible teachers and lecturers.
The attitude the professors have at Humboldt State University is what I noticed first. Evey professor I had was always attentive, open to questions, friendly, and above all were open to helping students one on one. The class sizes as well are also great--usually about 20-40 people-- and that allows a better learning environment where questions are easier to ask. Lastly, the students and staff do their best to maintain a safe environment on campus for the students.
My experience was very good academic wise. The professors are there to help you and want you to succeed. I enjoyed the weather and nature it was very relaxing.
The school has a chill environment with great teachers. Most people have an open minded and friendly personality. It has a beautiful campus and it is in an area full of nature.
Humboldt State University is an amazing school that is filled with new experiences to be had. It accepts everyone no matter their race, gender, and/or sexuality. It has amazing teachers that truly want their students to excel.
From Humboldt State University, it has a great outdoors experience. Our school is known for its high recommendations for any science majors and math majors. I am a Zoology major and my best part of the university is the class where I go out of school with my class to field trip and identify different invertebrate animals near our shores. It was fun and a good leg work out too! Also, the local areas for food is quite amazing. When needing to eat besides campus food, there is a wide variety of different ethnic food here. What I like to see a change in Humboldt is to give a more housing chances for students that are from far away. More housing in the campus for everyone to be. It is tough to find an apartment or house near the school and have the housing costs to be low, for future students coming from different parts of California or an out of state transfer, they should have the opportunity to have a low-cost housing and a secure home to be in.
The school and surround area is very open and welcoming to all students. The community and people are very friendly and willing to help. I decided to live on campus and every time I had to go grocery shopping, people would offer to help carry my groceries. This was something new to me for where I came from, neighbors would not do this. The staff and teacher as well are willing to go beyond to help their students succeed. They are open and willing to meet outside their office hours to help students.
The school is very diverse but does not provide enough housing for students. The parking situation needs to be addressed and figured out because parking if nonexistent. However, the surrounding are is very beautiful and the people are genuinely nice and helpful. Beautiful community.
Start Your Review of Humboldt State University
Humboldt State has small class sizes which means that the professors know all of their students and really try to help you in any way they can.
My experience at Humboldt State has been fairly good. It is far away from home so homesickness is very common for students, just like myself. Humboldt has a lot of beautiful scenes but the community does need a lot of improvement. The town needs more street lights as a lot of students do walk home from campus. Finding housing can be very difficult with property managements and on campus housing is very expensive. I have not had any bad experiences with professors, all the professors I have taken a class with have been helpful.
It is a very nice environment with a lot of interesting people and weather. Everyone is very friendly and nothing is really bad.