Houghton College Reviews

I love the small class sizes and how you can actually get to know your professors well and your professors can know you.
I enjoy the general experience, the atmosphere (for the most part) and the facilities. Some things still need work, though. It's quite expensive, and that's really hurting it. It's also somewhat insulated and out of touch with the outside world.
website is lying, the school is way down in the competition to the point of being crippling. The vast majority of people are only able to find employment in Buffalo for about 30,000 a year or down near Philly. This is the lie that makes most people really hate the college. Really, most employers don't want Houghton at all. Most think lack of resources and outdated teaching is to blame.
The college is in bad shape and will lie to get what they need. I am now transferring. The Food makes everyone REALLY sick.
Safe? Christian school? Slight drug use, nobody sees. The students abuse each other constantly with ganging up in packs on one poor kid. As long as its after 5pm, they never care. The Professors are highly staunch and don't like non book types. There is no relaxing or fun of any kind allowed here. The scholarship kids get treated badly. I advise reviews on other sites by past employees and students before attending. Staunch, unfriendly. wish I could write more.
Start Your Review of Houghton College
My experience,has been great,each time I visited. Everyone is very nice,helpful,and they make u feel good about yourself and you it feels great to fit in somewhere. And I've visited 4 times or more already. I've also met the school presidents,not often do u do that. So,for me it has been a wonderful experience.
Being at Houghton has really changed my life. I have developed a great deal of confidence thanks to the support of professors and peers. Everyone is very welcoming, and the spiritual life is enriching.
As a member of the Class of '67, I am stunned at how comments by members the present student body so accurately reflect my Houghton experience of 50 years ago !!! Even the negative comments, by and large, are correct.
Houghton was really a superb experience for me, & prepared me very well for medical school. If you survive the academic rigors of Houghton College, medical school will be a "piece of cake".
Today I am an active supporter of the College financially, & am urging my grandchildren to attend. My ratings below are from my 50 years ago there.
Houghton is great! I love the connections I've made here and the community that they build within their students.
It is constantly evident how much the professors and administration genuinely care about the students and the education they receive. They are continuing to move towards a more hands-on approach to learning. It is a small school, but it makes real and effective efforts to develop valuable opportunities.
Lovely local community. The values of the school are great and the people are kind. All my general education class were excellent. However, the science department is not the best. Their teaching techniques aren't great and it's not worth the amount of money students have to pay.
I love the close community. The professors are very accessible. There are lots of great resources with Voca, the counseling center, and library staff.

If you are looking for a party school in a big city, Houghton is not for you. If you are looking for a small Christian school with a close community and strong academics, it is excellent.
My decision to go to Houghton seems to have cost me the fulfilling "right of passage" experience that typical American college can be. Houghton College is for students raised within Evangelical Christian Culture. If you are not in that demographic I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. If you plan to study in Western New York Ithaca, Binghamton, Geneseo, (and numerous schools in both Rochester and Buffalo) would offer the average student a much better experience.
Coming to Houghton was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The emphasis on experiental learning has really prepared me for life after college.
As a black student, attending a predominately white, liberal, Christian College, I was disappointed in the lack of diversity that Houghton had and intended to create. Although Houghton was started in over 100 years ago, they are still behind in the conversation of diversity.
I have enjoyed the personal connections to professors and other students I have met at Houghton. Due to small class size, one would expect professors to be more available to students. Houghton professors go above and beyond in making connections to each of their students. They regularly invite students into their homes, and they involve students in the work and research that they are doing. One professor I know has been known to search for online deals on equipment that students need! Houghton is a tremendous place to meet people with whom you will relate professionally and personally for years to come.
Houghton College is a great place to receive a Christian education surrounded my an extremely diverse group of students from all over the world. Houghton is a very small, but welcoming community of people, and has always been a college that is known for their love of God.
College administration is very shady, while the faculty are amazing people I feel like you don't get your moneys worth out of going to Houghton and it is A LOT of money to go there. Not many parties unless you drive somewhere else, but that's okay if you're more focused on academics. However the atmosphere there is stifling. Some people love it, as did I for the first year but it got very oppressive later on. Lot's of sketchy things going on behind the scenes that worries me for people's safety.
It was a wonderful experience, very personal and academically challenging. The only change I would make would be more connection with local communities, more transportation/communication options with cities nearby (Buffalo, Rochester) in order to provide more students with opportunities.
Start Your Review of Houghton College
Excellent, close knit Christian academic community. Fantastic DIII sports program, professors seek to be mentors and friends (no place to hide if you're lazy though!).

Residence life is fantastic. Its a dry school, but anyone will tell you no booze is required here for a grand old time.
Especially after taking two semesters abroad, I've realized how much I've learned at Houghton College and how much I miss it. The classes are engaging and discussion-filled, the professors are deeply invested in the students and extremely caring (but also push you to do good work!), the surrounding nature is beautiful, the students are outgoing and supportive, and the local community and churches constantly reach out. I would highly recommend!
In rural Western New York, surrounded by the beautiful Alleghany mountains and several State Parks, Houghton sits atop a hill. Houghton is a liberal arts school, which is everything the name implies. Students will be taught in a variety of pertinent subjects in a small classroom setting which encourages discussion. Philosophy, religion, art, music, science, and history are only a few of the subjects which a Houghton student can expect to engage in. Most classes range anywhere from 8 to 20 people and very often, professors and students will form friendships which last long after graduation as a result. Houghton has positively influenced who I am as a person and how I engage with the world around me.