Houghton College is ...
Private not-for-profit, Methodist
NCAA Division III (without football)
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Affordable fixed or variable rates
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Loans from community lenders that put people before profits
- Easy, online app with ability to add a cosigner in minutes
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.25 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.23 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.23 responses
Most Popular Majors
Business Administration and Management48 Graduates
Liberal Arts and Humanities22 Graduates
Elementary Education19 Graduates
Area and Ethnic Studies16 Graduates
Professional, Technical, Business, and Scientific Writing8 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say they don't have Greek life.19 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.34 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.16 responses
Houghton College Reviews
I have enjoyed the personal connections to professors and other students I have met at Houghton. Due to small class size, one would expect professors to be more available to students. Houghton professors go above and beyond in making connections to each of their students. They regularly invite students into their homes, and they involve students in the work and research that they are doing. One professor I know has been known to search for online deals on equipment that students need! Houghton is a tremendous place to meet people with whom you will relate professionally and personally for years to come.
Especially after taking two semesters abroad, I've realized how much I've learned at Houghton College and how much I miss it. The classes are engaging and discussion-filled, the professors are deeply invested in the students and extremely caring (but also push you to do good work!), the surrounding nature is beautiful, the students are outgoing and supportive, and the local community and churches constantly reach out. I would highly recommend!
My decision to go to Houghton seems to have cost me the fulfilling "right of passage" experience that typical American college can be. Houghton College is for students raised within Evangelical Christian Culture. If you are not in that demographic I strongly suggest you look elsewhere. If you plan to study in Western New York Ithaca, Binghamton, Geneseo, (and numerous schools in both Rochester and Buffalo) would offer the average student a much better experience.