Haverford College Reviews

The best thing about Haverford is the amount of freedom that the students have. You can schedule your own final exams, and in general the students are trusted with a lot of privileges both inside the classroom and outside of it. It is a small school, so you do see the same people every day which can at times get a little annoying, but overall the people are very friendly, and you will make very close friends.
Great fit! Close knit group with diverse backgrounds. Faculty members are devoted to helping students.
I loved the campus and its proximity to Philadelphia. Haverford has a lot to offer, so long as you make an effort to use your resources. The fact that the school is so small makes it a bit limiting not just socially but also professionally, seeing as big recruiters generally don't come her. However, it has the reputation for being academically excellent, and the curriculum is rigorous enough to exercise your critical thinking, creativity, and work ethic.
Review Haverford College
Nice surroundings, great teaching. There is a very good atmosphere that allows you to learn and discover your talents
It offers a robust and diverse academic experience, with courses ranging from the studies of sacred texts to the history of the early United States.
Haverford embodies the idea of collaboration over competition; no-one talks about grades, for instance. The area is beautiful, the facilities are superb, and the people emphasise the role of community through the lens of the all-encompassing Honor Code.
Parties here typically only happen on Friday and Saturday nights, and some of them are good and some are bad. Based on which campus group is hosting the event, it is usually pretty easy to predict whether it will be an enjoyable event or not beforehand. For those who aren't into parties, Nerd House on campus has a bunch of great, creative options every weekend.
Parties definitely have had a positive impact on my experience here. Everyone comes together for them, so its a good way to hang out with people you are friends with but might not have classes with or bump into a lot during the week.
Professors really care about students, and the classes are generally very interesting. There is a pretty big workload, but it is definitely possible to do well if time is managed well, and there are many resources on campus to turn to for help with academic work and planning.
There is definitely diversity on campus, and the vast majority of people are very accepting. Ethnic/racial diversity isn't talked about all that often, but there are places on campus to go to engage in such discussions. The most outspoken people on campus are liberal, so at times it can seem that that is the opinion of the whole school, but in actuality there is a pretty even mix of political beliefs.
There is a real choose-for-yourself vibe here. I have never experienced peer pressure to drink or do drugs, and it is definitely possible to have great fun on weekends without using substances. Because of the honor code, the campus administration is very lenient regarding alcohol use. Campus Safety is always there to call when a situation may be getting out of hand, and it is their goal to protect people, not to be punitive.
The Safety and Security office at Haverford is great. They are very approachable and helpful, and they do a good job of addressing problems when they arise. I think more people feel very safe on this campus and the loss of property is not a common problem here at all.
While Haverford has fewer alumns than other, bigger school, from what I understand people in the network try hard to help other people in the network/students still going to the college.
Professors here really care about the success of students. They have plenty of office hours and are happy to meet with students outside of those hours if they are asked to. I've definitely had some professors who were better than others at explaining the material in the class or who were much more engaging and interesting than others, but I think all over them had good intentions and attempted to be fair to the best of their ability.
I love living on campus. I currently live in what is generally considered the worst dorm on campus, and I still really like it; I would be happy to keep living here for the next three years of college. Since Haverford does not have a huge campus, most dorms are really close to classes - it takes me less than five minutes to walk to my farthest class.
About 1/3 of Haverford students are varsity athletes, and some teams perform well for their division. There isn't a ton of school spirit, and athletics are mainly important to those who are directly involved in them. Students do sometimes go to games or events to support the school or their friends.
People don't generally attend games which is a bit of a bummer. Most of the teams are pretty competitive in the Centennial conference and I have heard good things about the coaches. The teams are pretty close knit groups socially. Facilities are up to date and I have no complaints with them.
Review Haverford College
Haverford is very liberal and I would say the vast majority of people make a concerted effort to make the community an excepting place for everyone. Of course we have problems, who doesn't? Despite our stated values and the general inclusiveness of our campus, we are a largely white, middle-upper class community. I can't speak for minorities on campus because I'm a white/hetero/cis-gendered woman and I have it pretty easy. There are spaces for expression and discussion of the issues that our community experiences and I think in the current climate people are starting to speak up more than ever. There are a number of groups trying to bring awareness to various types of privilege on campus (economic, racial, etc.) and just get people to acknowledge it and talk about it. Students have expressed problems with microaggressions and indifference toward injustice. I think we have a lot of systems in place to handle instances of offensive behavior among students and generally people in the community look out for one another. However, our values and image sometimes lead us to forget that things happen here too, even if we seem like a community where they wouldn't.
Registration process is painless--it's very unlikely that you won't get into a class you want unless it is extremely popular. Professors are always a matter of personal preference--there are teaching styles that work well for some and not for others. I have really enjoyed almost all of my professors, and respected them both as experts in their field and excellent instructors. Classes are engaging, unique, and offer knowledge in areas that are especially interesting to Haverford students. We have a Peace, Justice, and Human Rights department. A lot of our classes examine very relevant issues around economics, race, politics, scientific innovation, etc. The workload is moderate, but you definitely have the power to control your own stress. Professors are known for giving more/less work and they're very clear about assignments in their syllabi. We also have self-scheduled exams! Whether you stay in your comfort zone or challenge yourself with your classes, your workload almost always depends on time management.
Campus security is awesome. Haverford is generally very safe. It is an "open" campus, meaning that the surrounding community can enter freely during certain hours (just not in the middle of the night), which has occasionally caused problems, but not anything serious. I have not personally had any experiences with sexual assault, but it does occur. I would say that it occurs at a rate much lower than most schools, but like at any other American college, it's an issue.