Harvey Mudd College Reviews

Campus security does a fantastic job staying in contact with students when there are threats.
Our small student to professor radio makes it an easy and fantastic experience to become close to my professors.
Going to Mudd allows me a great deal of opportunities even before I graduate.
Review Harvey Mudd College
We don't have greek life, dorm culture makes up for it.
A lot of the team spirit comes from intramural.
The school promotes a strong work life balance.
A lot of general safety issues that happen at the Claremont colleges (the group of 5 colleges around Mudd) don't actually happen at Mudd. I see campus security around a lot, though, and we get emails about crimes and threats. At the time being there's been a lot of race talk as well, which has people a bit heated, so the bit of campus life I've experienced has been tinted by that a bit. I think I'd need more time at the school to make a firm rating of campus safety. The only thing I know about and have personal experience with is people from town sometimes steal our bikes and longboards.
The student to faculty ratio at Mudd is 8, first of all. There are a lot of classes to take, and great teachers to teach them. And if there's something you want to take that isn't offered at Mudd, you can enroll at a class at one of the other Claremont colleges. There's a whole lot of stuff you can do. I hear this one guy majored in dance.
Harvey Mudd students have some of the best graduating salaries of all the colleges in the country. We're small, but we get a lot of attention from apple, google, microsoft, etc. It's common for students to get internships at those places, and there are 2 career fairs at Mudd every year with reps from a lot of big companies.
I don't really have anything to compare to, really, and I haven't spent a lot of time in the dorms other than my own. But as far as I can tell, most of the dorms are OK, a couple are a bit above average, and a couple are a bit below average (mostly in terms of the physical building, almost all dorms are great socially). All in all a solid, comfortable, "meh".
I'm not very involved in sports, and Mudd is part of a group of colleges which share sports teams. So I don't really know a ton about the "scene". I know plenty of student athletes though, and the gyms at Mudd and some of the other colleges seem nice. Intramurals are pretty popular at Mudd, too.
Although Harvey Mudd is very difficult, and teachers will definitely push you with hard coursework, I've so far rarely felt alone. Teachers are accessible, there are always other classmates to work with and get help from, and the environment feels very positive in general, with a lot of interest in the wellbeing of the students. It's a great challenge.
Great academics, but balancing life in general can be tough.
Mudd is incredibly difficult, but in the end, it's worth it. You just have to make sure the academics don't wear on you, and you'll have an amazing time.
Yes, Harvey Mudd is very expensive, and even with some financial aid, my family still pays a lot. However, it's fair because my family is on the borderline of not receiving aid. Still, the financial process was smooth. My recommendation is to apply for non-school-based scholarships but also appeal to the financial aid staff, explaining your current situation.
No one comes to Mudd solely for athletics; thus, there is no reason to put a huge emphasis on sports facilities (it's often easier to go to the other 5Cs for nicer facilities).
Students party when they want to party (usually every weekend), and if you don't, you can easily find like-minded friends who like doing other things (i.e. board games, video games, going off-campus). Mudd has quite a few themed parties, which makes them more exciting.
Review Harvey Mudd College
It's more convenient to just eat on campus, but the off-campus options are pretty good, too. I occasionally eat off-campus on the weekends or for special occasions.
The Honor Code basically says "Don't be a jerk." That includes academic honesty in take-home exams (which are wonderful), respecting people's opinions, and common sense. Though no form of administration is perfect, Mudd does a great job in creating a friendly community. For example, I don't have to worry about people stealing my laptop if I leave it out in the campus center. I can express my opinions and people will not castigate me for them (rather, thoughtful discussions would arise, and that's perfectly okay).
People complain about Mudd's dining hall mostly because of repetition (which every college dining hall struggles with), but in terms of quality, the Hoch is one of the better options on the 5Cs. There are plenty of food options to choose from, and the staff is very courteous and is willing to make accommodations for those with dietary needs. Sometimes, the lines are long, but that's usually because of a really good dish and because students from the other 5Cs tend to flock to the Hoch.