Hampton University Reviews

1,959 reviews
I like how the professors teach and explain the lessons that are being taught. Campus life is a very good way for learning about yourself and others. You will get the opportunity to explore a lot of things that will go on during the semester.
The unversity is average. It does not center around the students and new ideas. I wish it was more modernized and student driven to bring more life and growth for the future.
I really enjoyed the close nit family style of the campus. This made it easier to build friendships and build relationships with faculty. The campus life was very amazing and offered many extra curricular opportunities for every student who attended. If I could change anything it would be the on campus housing. The dorms are out dated and need some enhancements. The Financial Aid office could use some improvement as well. Many students received reimbursements fairly late, and some students depend on their refunds to pay for books and other necessities.
Start Your Review of Hampton University
My experience at Hampton University was great. I really learned a lot about myself. I met so many people during my time here at Hampton University. I participated in clubs such as DMV PAC, Psychology club, Service Spree, SRT, ASA club, and National Honor Society for Psychology.
Hampton University is a great university but just like any other college/university, it has some issues. The Hampton administration is unprofessional, there's not much to do on campus since it's a small campus, the food is terrible, and the dorms need to be re-inevated. The good thing is that Hampton is making some changes so hopefully, all of these problems will be fixed.
Hampton University is my ideal HBCU. The professors and advisors worked one on one with you and actually want you to succeed. There is just enough partying, not too much and not too little. It seemed at first that HU was right on your tail and kept you from enjoying your social life but as time goes by you see that they want you to enjoy your time while being safe. Freshmen curfew was a downer sometimes. There'd be late events that we could only partially participate in due to having a curfew and sometimes got put on early curfew for coming in a few minutes late. However, when curfew was over some wished they had it to keep them on track. One thing I do not like about the school is there aren't too many social groups to join and the ones that are available have to be dug up because there isn't a lot of promoting for them. Other than that I love my HBCU and wouldn't trade it for another.
Hampton University was a great experience. I was able to really branch out of my shy ways, and developed long term relationships. I continue to speak with majority of those I know and I continue to meet new Hamptonians. The university has updated a lot since I attended and it is definitely moving in the right direct for people of color.
A common phrase that can be heard is "Hampton is what you make it." I have had an amazing time at Hampton leaning about myself, my people, and how I fit into society. If you go out and network, and take advantage of the opportunities here, there is no doubt that you can come to love Hampton and the many connections you make with it.
My experience with Hampton is good so far. My first year was tough because I was not use to dorm life and the dorms weren't that well kept up, the food isn't that great either in my opinion, but otherwise I had no issue getting through it. in my later years I got an apartment, which made my college life easier. Academically its tough, professors treat you like their you're own, being an HBCU, its mostly African American based with a few other ethnicities mixed in. although being a D1 school, we are average at sports. Campus is filled with beautiful, social people, campus life is good with food spots and a student center for people to socialize. Hampton isn't a big city so the party scenes are always local. overall I enjoy being at Hampton, if you come from a big city it will allow you to focus more on your academics.
Great instructors and academic programs! Beautiful small campus with waterfront setting. Family like setting.
I am attending Hampton University Pre-College Summer Institute. Thus far I am enjoying my classes and the professors. Hampton University is a excellent school with high academic standards. The college campus is new to me and thus far I enjoy being here.
My freshman year at Hampton University was a good one. Hampton does a great job of making the incoming freshmen transition into college life an easy one. Student life on is great. There are always various activities for the students on campus. Some of the dorms are older and could use some remodeling and the food at the cafe' could use some tweaking but the campus is beautiful and the views looking out on the Chesapeake Bay are breath taking.
The Hampton University atmosphere is one that you cannot compare to other Univeristies. Hampton students and alumni partake In certain traditions; some being 12-2, Holland and Ogden crossing prior to graduation. These traditions make Hampton unique because they are celebrated for generations. The Hampton community ranges from 3,000-4,000 students total a year but our connection is strong and we are willing to help any of our fellow Hamptonians. However, something I would like to see change are the dorms. They are historical building that were built in the 1900’s but they could use some renovations. Maybe changing the bathroom stalls and the closets that are in the dorm. Overall, Hampton is an illustrious and wonderful school which I wouldn’t be happier anywhere else.
I really do enjoy the atmosphere at Hampton University. My professors are ver welcoming and they are very dedicated to their jobs and they are always willing to help whenever. The staff at certain departments can be very unprofessional at times they would not answer the phone and they can't give you an answer.
I feel as though that Hampton University is a great school. They just need to have a better financial package for students who deserves it.
What I like about Hampton is they put freshman on a curfew their first semester to keep them focused on academics. I didn't appreciate it at first but I'm glad they did because the first few semesters are so critical to keep a good GPA.
I love my Major, department, and my professors. As an Architecture student, I have been blessed to be in an environment where the studio culture is uplifting and those from higher years help incoming freshmen to get situated but also share the knowledge. There is a sense of unity and togetherness. As a student body, we are trying to make changes to uplift one another. We are seeing progress in small ways but our efforts are profound. one challenge we are facing is finding ways to bring in scholarships since there aren't many funds available to us. I wish to see more help and assistance given to us as students to help with our struggles.
Start Your Review of Hampton University
Hampton U is a great university to go to. Just like any other university it has it ups and downs. But as HU students say. “Hampton is what u make it”.
I love the university. It was definitely a cultural shock to what i was use to. It showed me the importance of the up liftment of the african american communities. Attending a HBCU will allow one to recognize the importance of working together. I’ve learned some many and my interpersonal skills have developed the environment is so friendly and welcoming
I came onto campus expecting a very different experience than what I was given. The administration does not care about the students, trying to get help was merely impossible without having to do the Hampton run around. The dorms were horrible and nothing seemed to be going right for me over there. The school just has to be the place for you and for me, it was not.