Hampshire College Reviews

I will be entering my 3rd year of Hampshire, and I feel like it's pretty good. Like every school, Hampshire has its ups and downs, but the people who you surround yourself with really makes or breaks how you deal with it. Hampshire is literally a place where you do your own thing. If you don't know what you want to do, take your time, but not your whole 4/5 years. I'm not going to lie, things do get out of hand, but it's your job as a person in society to do something about it. Hampshire College is really what you make it. There's 4 other colleges around so you won't feel like you're seeing the same people everyday. You can also take other classes there as well, so that's a plus. As long as you do what you need to do, and probably make some connections, and just advocate for yourself, you'll be fine.
For sure take a class with Will Ryan and Dr. Laura Greenfield. They will change your life. Very active beautiful minds at this school. Very liberal arts PC call out culture so be ready to learn and be humble. Beautiful campus. I wouldn't come here to brag or for compitition or for nice buildings but if you want intellectual stimulation like no other, caring people, to be challanged, and the adventure of a lifetime in a weird hippie place Hampshire is for you!
Hampshire is an innovative college that allows students to tailor their curriculum to meet their needs.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
Hampshire is well-placed, with 4 other colleges in the area, so students can always find classes that suit their interests and work with their studies. The academic program is built so that students are in charge of creating a major and minor, called "concentrations" which gives an incredible amount of flexibility and freedom to motivated students. However, the college culture is very cut-throat, the facilities are not up to a very high standard, the food is just okay and the athletics are practically non-existent.
So far my experience with the application process to Hampshire College has been a breeze. The specific questions the asked on the CommonApp, as well as asking for an academic essay and allowing for students to submit original work demonstrate this college's devotion to an inclusive, caring environment.
Overall, I'm happy with my choice to go to Hampshire. I have loved almost all of my professors and I actually get to talk to them because the college and class sizes are so small. I am able to design my own major, study whatever I want, even if there aren't classes about it, and take advantage of the immense resources of UMass Amherst without having to go to a gigantic school. However, every year it gets more and more expensive, I'm not allowed to live off campus, and the food isn't the best.
Hampshire College has a wonderful campus in a beautiful area of Massachusetts. The academic system is unique and provides immense flexibility. You have access to Amherst, UMASS Amherst, Mt Holyoke, and Smith classes as well.
Hampshire College offers an experience like non-other. In a welcoming community of students sets to change the world you are able to find yourself. Learning which of the many of the world issues that you find passion in, and then begin to apply it to a positive change in society.
My experience at Hampshire has been really eye opening. I am learning that it is a school that needs a lot of change but the academics are amazing.
I'm the happiest I've been in years here and count down the days until I get her go back when we'return on break so I think that says a lot.
The demographics of the school were generally upper income East Coast students who had attended private or alternative high schools. My experience was that my peers were generally very poorly prepared for a rigorous college educational experience. They did not know the basics of math, history, humanities-- hence, the long lag in graduation times. I am now a teacher, and this group would have been more qualified for remedial adult education, such as GED instruction. I also worked in health care, and observed many of the same behaviors here that I saw in inpatient psychiatric units. Classes were not rigorous, compared to others I attended at the local universities with which Hampshire has co-op arrangements; in fact, my high school AP classes were far more demanding than Hampshire's. Sadly, most faculty did not raise the bar for these underprepared students, and the classes generally devolved into the same, tired screeds about race, gender, sexuality, etc--even if the class content had nothing to do with it. This was so often the case that it became pointless to attend class, as the class was not really run by the professor, but by the students, who had nothing new to say, but certainly demanded to say it again anyway
Drug use, sales, and abuse was rampant; the school had the reputation for being the drug capital of the East Coast- a notoriety that was extraordinary considering its >1000 student size and hefty price tag. Abortions were as common as eggs for breakfast, as were treated or untreated mental illnesses. Students came to class without literally any clothes and no one said boo--just sat there with in class, sitting on overstuffed chair with their stuff hanging (and smelling). Most students I knew were engaged in some form of dark art--witchcraft, seances, wicca, black/white magic, past life regression, talking with deceased spirits.

I can think of only student of I knew who could even begin to construct a coherent worldview, have a decent discussion, or form a healthy relationship. (She was a very nice girl from the Queens borough of NYC; blue collar, worked her way through school, hard working. No angst, just a nice hardworking student who was a true friend)

I would encourage anyone considering attending Hampshire to factor in not only the 45,000/year tuition, but about 12,000 /year in psychiatric services + a 1,000/year in meds you may need to spend for many years thereafter. There is no way to estimate the cost to your life of the damage this school will cause. I say this with all sincerity and hope that you will consider this as a real warning. I attended Hampshire because I had never visited it; I was told that I was accepted over the phone and attended sight unseen. Had I known these truths about Hampshire and had others looked into it with me, I would never, ever have attended here. I say this with an awareness of others' reviews here; as a whole, they sound much like what I would have written when I attended. In other words, not so bad. But the damage that was being done to many students took years to be revealed. Like termites, or exposure to radiation the damage was done and continuing, but would not be manifested until years later.
there was no greek life. The closest thing would be victims' and dark arts groups: free Palestine, the Wommyn's Center (spelled that way to avoid writing the word 'men'); seance groups; white and black witchcraft; wiccans
there were no organized athletics, only an ultimate frisbee team run by the school's top drug dealer (no joke).
Classes were not rigorous, compared to others I attended at the local universities with which Hampshire has co-op arrangements; in fact, my high school AP classes were far more demanding than Hampshire's. Sadly, most faculty did not raise the bar for these underprepared students, and the classes generally devolved into the same, tired screeds about race, gender, sexuality, etc--even if the class content had nothing to do with it. This was so often the case that it became pointless to attend class, as the class was not really run by the professor, but by the students, who had nothing new to say, but certainly demanded to say it again anyway. As compared with the campuses I visited and attended classes at nearby, Hampshire was the most intolerant , elitist, hostile, and socially toxic
Heath Services is so FAR AWAY
The professors have a plethora of connections. As well, CORC offers guidance and resources for planning for the future. Hampshire graduates tend to have an entreaupreneural spirit.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
Class sizes are small, allowing for easy access to professors and great class discussion.
It's great to be able to wake up 10 minutes before class. However, the lottery system is physically painful.
We have a variety of athletic clubs that seem to be very welcoming.