Hampshire College Reviews

With committed professors and a driven student body, this school has helped me improve. The self-directed nature of the curriculum is definitely not for everyone but it has really worked for me. I've been engrossed in my field of study even in my first year and I've received guidance to complete independent projects. The small campus can feel a little oppressive but there is a lot of community emphasis and lots of forest to explore. This school is near four other colleges and the network formed between the five colleges is astounding. Dining hall food is diverse and inclusive, but often greasy or bland. Housing assignments were thorough, dorms are small.
Hampshire College has continued to support me through my academic career. They made transferring from a community college both easy and natural. I've never felt more at home than I do at Hampshire.
Flexible independent learning structure is a plus, but you have to make it work- if you don't take advantage of the situation then you won't get anything out of it. Most professors are great, it's easy to build a relationship with them, but the administration is terrible. People often rag on Hampshire but that's because there are an unfortunate amount of drop-outs and people who come here thinking that they can get away with anything. The people who actually put their work in and make Hampshire work for them are highly successful and respected by grad schools and the other colleges.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
This school advertises an alternative to higher education yet the benefits that you can reap from designing your own major and doing independent research can be obtained at any other higher institution.
I have not attended this school as I am a high school senior, but I have visited Hampshire and I liked it a lot.
Hampshire College was a great experience for me academically and, although socially the school was not as diverse and integrated as I had hoped, I was able to get a fulfilling education at this institution.
To start, I have to say that there is really no place in the world exactly like Hampshire College, and I have no regrets about attending. The school structure has really allowed me to grow as a student, and to find the right career path for me. My writing and networking skills have grown immensely. The campus is charming, and I have free bus access to 5 other schools (and their libraries and resources). Experimental/alternative schools often lack library resources and experts on a multitude of subjects, so consortium access is a major bonus.

There are definitely things I would like to see changed here. I dislike the meal plan and dining hours. Health services is inconvenient and understaffed. The rural area can at times create a campus "bubble" that is unhealthy and volatile (I use the consortium to compensate for this). However, none of these inconveniences are significant enough to make me regret my decision, or make me consider transferring.
This school is really radical in every sense of the word and if you've done your research and you know what you're getting into, this school can and probably will change your life. I feel so ready for the world; I know how to advocate for myself and for others. I've spent so much time here collaborating with others and making things happen. It's a way harder school than the slacker stoner reputation would have you believe. To succeed here, you have to battle yourself and grow into who you want to be – that's not easy, and it's something a lot of people never do. I am so grateful.
Hampshire is an amazing opportunity for those who can handle challenging work, that they are for the most part completely in control of.
I loved every moment at Hampshire, and what I learned there propelled me into a unique and selective career. Besides academics, Hampshire teaches students important skills for life: self-motivation, networking, creative problem-solving, and time management.

Because class size is small, there is often competition to get into classes with popular teachers. It's frustrating to be rejected, but you will rarely attend a class with bored or inattentive students.

Hampshire is not for everyone. The progressive and alternative student body belies serious academic workloads, without many of the obvious guardrails of traditional academia. There are no tests at Hampshire. Instead, there are research papers, essays, and complicated lab reports, all of which are time-consuming and self-directed.
Hampshire College has been a safe and supportive environment for me to explore my interests and find a way to combine them in order to constructing contribute to the community. With supportive professors who are willing to go above and beyond to support their students and a structure that allows students to be in control of their education while still being provided the support they need, Hampshire students are smart and highly motivated individuals. Hampshire College is not for everyone the lack of grade being supplemented with page long written evaluations for each class (with about 15 students) make you have to work harder, do all your work, show up to every class, participate and really form a working relationship with the professors. Hampshire is really what you make of it, working hard and advocate for yourself and you will get where you wanna go.
They gave me a fully funded scholarship because I was one of the many Puerto Ricans displaced by the impact of the Hurricane Maria. I wish I could see more of those scholarships be handed out to the people of my country because there has been a very difficult political climate there, austerity measures in the public and private sector, as well as budget cuts to education programs and the closing of many schools.
I enjoy the openness of Hampshire College yet I feel as if it could be more accepting and more open for disabled students.
I love that you get to choose your own path and select courses that best fit into your specified area of study. I appreciate the theatre program and how it is run by students. I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had in the theatre program, ones which I never would have gotten had I attended any other institution.
Hampshire college is unlike any college I have ever heard of. I was surprised at how connected the students are with the professors. The disconnect you often feel when shoved into a class with hundreds of other students is simply not there. The small classes allow the professor and student to engage with other. This allows the professor to aid the student however possible.
It's a very close community that allows and supports you in pursuing what you are passionate about. It also gives its students an opportunity to try new activities and find new interests relatively easily.
Hampshire College can be an excellent choice if your personality is the "right fit." Hampshire College has no grades, only evaluations. However, sometimes being heard and having a presence in class is more difficult than it seems. Some students are opinionated and verge on entitled, presenting difficulty to those who may be more shy, introverted, or the type to learn by listening to conversation and formulating writings. Unlike grades, evaluations can be biased as well. When you disagree with an evaluation, you do not have the previous coursework (e.g., testing, graded papers, etc.). Rather, you rely on the estimations of professors, who are fallible. Hampshire is set in a picturesque area with mountains, long farm roads, and just a dairy farm and a reservoir a walk away. Surrounded by wooded areas, it can feel that you are in a liberal, modern-day "hippie" bubble. However, I found more comfort outside of this realm where there was greater racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
The classes when you can find relevant ones are really good, and faculty is willing to work with students. If you have allergies, do everything in your power to get off the full meal plan, because it won't do you much good anyway.
Hampshire College is a private liberal arts college in Amherst, Massachusetts, United States. It was opened in 1970 as an experiment in alternative education, in association with four other colleges in the Pioneer Valley: Amherst College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Together they are now known as the Five Colleges, or the Five College Consortium.
So far, I have really enjoyed my time here at Hampshire College. All of my professors have gone out of their way to help me with my academics. Also, Hampshire has one of the most caring and social justice motivated students body I have ever met.