Hampshire College Reviews

I have not attended this school as I am a high school senior, but I have visited Hampshire and I liked it a lot.
Hampshire College was a great experience for me academically and, although socially the school was not as diverse and integrated as I had hoped, I was able to get a fulfilling education at this institution.
To start, I have to say that there is really no place in the world exactly like Hampshire College, and I have no regrets about attending. The school structure has really allowed me to grow as a student, and to find the right career path for me. My writing and networking skills have grown immensely. The campus is charming, and I have free bus access to 5 other schools (and their libraries and resources). Experimental/alternative schools often lack library resources and experts on a multitude of subjects, so consortium access is a major bonus.

There are definitely things I would like to see changed here. I dislike the meal plan and dining hours. Health services is inconvenient and understaffed. The rural area can at times create a campus "bubble" that is unhealthy and volatile (I use the consortium to compensate for this). However, none of these inconveniences are significant enough to make me regret my decision, or make me consider transferring.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
This school is really radical in every sense of the word and if you've done your research and you know what you're getting into, this school can and probably will change your life. I feel so ready for the world; I know how to advocate for myself and for others. I've spent so much time here collaborating with others and making things happen. It's a way harder school than the slacker stoner reputation would have you believe. To succeed here, you have to battle yourself and grow into who you want to be – that's not easy, and it's something a lot of people never do. I am so grateful.
Hampshire is an amazing opportunity for those who can handle challenging work, that they are for the most part completely in control of.
I loved every moment at Hampshire, and what I learned there propelled me into a unique and selective career. Besides academics, Hampshire teaches students important skills for life: self-motivation, networking, creative problem-solving, and time management.

Because class size is small, there is often competition to get into classes with popular teachers. It's frustrating to be rejected, but you will rarely attend a class with bored or inattentive students.

Hampshire is not for everyone. The progressive and alternative student body belies serious academic workloads, without many of the obvious guardrails of traditional academia. There are no tests at Hampshire. Instead, there are research papers, essays, and complicated lab reports, all of which are time-consuming and self-directed.
Hampshire College has been a safe and supportive environment for me to explore my interests and find a way to combine them in order to constructing contribute to the community. With supportive professors who are willing to go above and beyond to support their students and a structure that allows students to be in control of their education while still being provided the support they need, Hampshire students are smart and highly motivated individuals. Hampshire College is not for everyone the lack of grade being supplemented with page long written evaluations for each class (with about 15 students) make you have to work harder, do all your work, show up to every class, participate and really form a working relationship with the professors. Hampshire is really what you make of it, working hard and advocate for yourself and you will get where you wanna go.
They gave me a fully funded scholarship because I was one of the many Puerto Ricans displaced by the impact of the Hurricane Maria. I wish I could see more of those scholarships be handed out to the people of my country because there has been a very difficult political climate there, austerity measures in the public and private sector, as well as budget cuts to education programs and the closing of many schools.
I enjoy the openness of Hampshire College yet I feel as if it could be more accepting and more open for disabled students.
I love that you get to choose your own path and select courses that best fit into your specified area of study. I appreciate the theatre program and how it is run by students. I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had in the theatre program, ones which I never would have gotten had I attended any other institution.
Hampshire college is unlike any college I have ever heard of. I was surprised at how connected the students are with the professors. The disconnect you often feel when shoved into a class with hundreds of other students is simply not there. The small classes allow the professor and student to engage with other. This allows the professor to aid the student however possible.
It's a very close community that allows and supports you in pursuing what you are passionate about. It also gives its students an opportunity to try new activities and find new interests relatively easily.
Hampshire College can be an excellent choice if your personality is the "right fit." Hampshire College has no grades, only evaluations. However, sometimes being heard and having a presence in class is more difficult than it seems. Some students are opinionated and verge on entitled, presenting difficulty to those who may be more shy, introverted, or the type to learn by listening to conversation and formulating writings. Unlike grades, evaluations can be biased as well. When you disagree with an evaluation, you do not have the previous coursework (e.g., testing, graded papers, etc.). Rather, you rely on the estimations of professors, who are fallible. Hampshire is set in a picturesque area with mountains, long farm roads, and just a dairy farm and a reservoir a walk away. Surrounded by wooded areas, it can feel that you are in a liberal, modern-day "hippie" bubble. However, I found more comfort outside of this realm where there was greater racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity.
The classes when you can find relevant ones are really good, and faculty is willing to work with students. If you have allergies, do everything in your power to get off the full meal plan, because it won't do you much good anyway.
Hampshire College is a private liberal arts college in Amherst, Massachusetts, United States. It was opened in 1970 as an experiment in alternative education, in association with four other colleges in the Pioneer Valley: Amherst College, Smith College, Mount Holyoke College, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Together they are now known as the Five Colleges, or the Five College Consortium.
So far, I have really enjoyed my time here at Hampshire College. All of my professors have gone out of their way to help me with my academics. Also, Hampshire has one of the most caring and social justice motivated students body I have ever met.
I will be entering my 3rd year of Hampshire, and I feel like it's pretty good. Like every school, Hampshire has its ups and downs, but the people who you surround yourself with really makes or breaks how you deal with it. Hampshire is literally a place where you do your own thing. If you don't know what you want to do, take your time, but not your whole 4/5 years. I'm not going to lie, things do get out of hand, but it's your job as a person in society to do something about it. Hampshire College is really what you make it. There's 4 other colleges around so you won't feel like you're seeing the same people everyday. You can also take other classes there as well, so that's a plus. As long as you do what you need to do, and probably make some connections, and just advocate for yourself, you'll be fine.
Start Your Review of Hampshire College
For sure take a class with Will Ryan and Dr. Laura Greenfield. They will change your life. Very active beautiful minds at this school. Very liberal arts PC call out culture so be ready to learn and be humble. Beautiful campus. I wouldn't come here to brag or for compitition or for nice buildings but if you want intellectual stimulation like no other, caring people, to be challanged, and the adventure of a lifetime in a weird hippie place Hampshire is for you!
Hampshire is an innovative college that allows students to tailor their curriculum to meet their needs.
Hampshire is well-placed, with 4 other colleges in the area, so students can always find classes that suit their interests and work with their studies. The academic program is built so that students are in charge of creating a major and minor, called "concentrations" which gives an incredible amount of flexibility and freedom to motivated students. However, the college culture is very cut-throat, the facilities are not up to a very high standard, the food is just okay and the athletics are practically non-existent.