Hamline University Reviews

My father attended Hamline University, and my sister is currently a first-year student. They both are in love with the campus, community, and overall feel of the school. The school made the transition from High School to college much easier. I am proud to say I belong to a family of Pipers!
I am a sophomore at Hamline this year. I am from a small town, so I wanted to move to the city for a change of scenery. Hamline is a small school, so I figured that it would be much more in my comfort zone. I really enjoyed my first year here. The food was decent, my dorm room was nice and big, and the campus is very well kept and pretty. I did not experience much student life despite living on campus. Many students go home on the weekends, so it was a bit difficult to meet people. Overall, going to school here has been a good experience. I do think some of the buildings could use some renovations, though.
Something that I really like about Hamline is their flex-curriculum. It's possible to quadruple major here if you come in with a good amount of credits and are a motivated student. You can also write a proposal stating the name of a major you wish to create for yourself. Professors and staff will guide you in the pursuit after a council approves your created major. However, if there were one thing I'd change, it'd be the structure of the buildings. Being an old university, some of the buildings could use renewal. While that's been happening slowly, the room for improvement is certainly visible.
Start Your Review of Hamline University
Hamline is a diverse, welcoming environment that I enjoyed being at a lot. It was the perfect school for me at the time and I enjoyed the small campus while still having the big city feel. The only downside I would say to Hamline is the cost. The cost really varies per student BUT unfortunately I was one of the students who paid a lot of money to go there.
I absolutely loved my education experience at Hamline University. All of my professors were attentive to my needs. I graduated with a double major in elementary education and psychology in less than 4 years. With no transfers going into Hamline University. The only thing that was hard was a lot of students hometowns were nearby, so a lot of students went home on the weekends.
I absolutely love this school. It's way underrated. Check out the professor's backgrounds, they will surprise you. Many of my professors had their Bachelor's from Ivy Leagues, and others at least held their PhD from top universities. It's basically Top university education within a small campus. Every faculty member is definitely trying to help, if not going an extra mile to help. The only con is the tuition. Even after scholarships it's still going to cost you a chunk.
I have highly enjoyed my first two years at Hamline. Moving half way across the country was a hard descision to make but I am so happy I decided to make it. There are great people here, it's in an awesome location, and wonderful staff. Professors are nice and helpful no matter what. You're located in St. Paul but far enough from downtown that you dont experience much traffic and you still get the small town feeling while on/around campus.
I love Hamline! Everyone here is so nice and helpful, I always feel safe on the campus, I have access to practically everything I need on campus, teachers are practically always available when I need help, and they have all the majors and minors I could want!
Beautiful campus, encouraging professors and faculty. Everyone on campus is always happy and wants to connect. Classes are small and allow a lot more personalized and discussion based instruction.
Campus is smaller than other universities, professors and other faculty members are really nice and helpful. There are a fair amount of programs offered here and with the Hamline Plan, it allows you to be more flexible with your courses in order to graduate. In terms of other students, people are more introverted here but fairly nice. Overall a nice compact school.
It is far too expensive for what it is. Residential Life office does NOT care about the students, same with Student Accounts office. So many qualms with Hamline.
I like it here, it's small and the school offers help to anyone in need almost the time. Professors can teach and offer great ways to interact with the classroom and are dedicated to their field. So overall its cool.
Pros:
lots of academic scholarships awarded
student professor ratio
location

Cons:
low diversity
pampers athletes
dorms are awful
Hamline has a great campus and welcoming atmosphere. All of the professors I met were passionate about what they do. The campus was nice and compact, giving it distinction from the surrounding city.
Decent but unless you're involved in something it's hard to make friends. The professors are amazing.
I have enjoyed the classes taken so far. In my specific field of study there are many changes taking place, which is causing miscommunication between faculty and students. This has created much confusion and stress for me.
My overall experience with Hamline University is great. The class size is perfect for someone who likes small class sizes and a personal connection with their professors. This university is also really into social justice and the LGBTQ community, so for those who are passionate about those things, Hamline is perfect for them. However, the negative things about Hamline is that since it is a liberal arts school, each student is required to take a certain amount of diversity, humanity, fine arts, etc. classes. Another thing is that the food on campus does not have a good variety and the only other option to the cafeteria is subway, which is on the other end of campus.
Start Your Review of Hamline University
Hamline University is a great college for people that like small class sizes and a convenient campus. They have many different teams, clubs, organizations, and leadership opportunities on campus. You get the chance to know your classmates as well as the professor and have that one-to-one interaction that many people are looking for. Overall, Hamline University makes everyone feel welcome and provides the students with knowledge that will last a lifetime.
Hamline's campus is beautiful. I loved how small it is but it just didn't seem like the best fit for me. There was a small classroom ratio but I like being around people. Socializing with other people is the best way to make connections in the world of business. Going to a small, tight-knit school wasn't going to do that for me personally.
The people and faculty are very nice and friendly. The requirements for the curriculum seem a bit much, and it's very expensive. The campus isn't the safest; I am on the track team and during a practice, several teammates had their stuff stolen by non-Hamline people, and Hamline didn't do anything about it. The campus is very involved in the public, but the public in this area isn't the best; there are constant sirens, and there was even a shooting/murder that happened right in front my dorm. Asides from the lack of safety and how expensive it is, its a good school.