- 4 Year
- GRINNELL, IA
COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Grinnell’s leadership, faculty, and staff are committed to providing the very best Grinnell educational opportunities possible for our students. Evolving decisions about the academic year require the creativity, compassion, and consideration for community that are the hallmarks of Grinnell College. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A+
- Valuegrade A
- Diversitygrade A+
- Campusgrade B minus
- Athleticsgrade B minus
- Party Scenegrade B
- Professorsgrade A+
- Locationgrade C+
- Dormsgrade B
- Campus Foodgrade B+
- Student Lifegrade A minus
- Safetygrade B minus
Pursue your passions with purpose.
Here, you're in charge of how your studies take shape and where you want them to take you. The First-Year Tutorial is the only required class outside your major. The rest is up to you, and with more than 500 courses from which to choose, you have freedom to explore, along with focused guidance and mentorship.
With our rich global learning opportunities, you’ll use your academic interests to thrive in settings all over the world. In fact, every Grinnellian has access to study, work, and experiences in more than 30 countries.
Grinnell’s community – with students from 48 states and 44 countries – isn’t just a welcoming place to spend four years. It’s an essential part of your education.
From your first day on campus, advisers from the Center for Careers, Life, and Service will help you find service opportunities, internships, and externships that allow you to make a real difference now – and go forth from Grinnell with confidence.
Grinnell College Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
Will You Get In?
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes. 28 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want. 37 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage. 36 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Computer Science56 Graduates
- Biology46 Graduates
- Political Science and Government41 Graduates
- Research and Experimental Psychology37 Graduates
- Mathematics35 Graduates
- Economics33 Graduates
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology29 Graduates
- History27 Graduates
- English26 Graduates
- Chemistry24 Graduates
Individually Advised Curriculum
At Grinnell, we call our curriculum an "individually advised curriculum." We have no distribution requirements, and the only two required courses for all students are components of the First-Year Experience. The rest of your four-year class schedule is up to you and your academic adviser to craft based on your interests and aspirations, so you can uncover and explore what you truly care about.
- of students say they don't have Greek life. 26 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life. 47 responses
- Great atmosphere14%
- The Jewel of the Prairie9%
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation. 18 responses