Governors State University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Early Decision/Early Action
Average cost after financial aid for students receiving grant or scholarship aid, as reported by the college.
Student Loan Options from Lenders
- Affordable fixed or variable rates
- No application, origination or disbursement fees
- Loans from community lenders that put people before profits
- Easy, online app with ability to add a cosigner in minutes
- Simple, straightforward student loans with an easy application
- Flexible repayment options, and strong borrower protections
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.25 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.29 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.29 responses
Most Popular Majors
Liberal Arts and Humanities166 Graduates
Criminal Justice and Safety Studies95 Graduates
Business Administration and Management89 Graduates
Hospital Management51 Graduates
Social Work and Youth Services46 Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say they don't have Greek life.33 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.50 responses
Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation
Employed 2 Years After Graduation
- of students feel confident they will find a job in their field after graduation.28 responses
Governors State University Reviews
I'm a transfer student into GSU. The academics and professors are great here! The campus is a bit of a maze, but there is always someone around to help you find where you need to be and there are signs everywhere helping you figure out where you are. The athletic program is currently growing, so the school doesn't offer many sports yet but is in the process of adding more and expanding its current programs. There are always events going on through different clubs and organizations on campus. GSU has a diverse population of students in terms of race, religion, and age. Many students are commuters and transfer students because GSU only started accepting freshmen a few years ago.
This is a poorly run school by pseudo-intellectuals that have no idea how to connect with students. As you listen and watch the "leaders" check for authenticity in communication. Remember that this is a business and this business is trying to draw you in so that you can earn capital, your money. If you want a pretty easy credential and want to spend a minimum amount of money, this is the place! There are some good people, some really good people but you have to find them and it does take effort. There are a few very good teachers but not many. The film program is terrible. They have a saying that goes, "The little MFA program that could". But the word "NOT" was forgotten at the end of the sentence... Poor equipment, poor instruction, poor structure, poor connectivity and a lack of proper preparation. Perhaps this would be a good school/program for you. Only you can determine this. I wish you well on your quest!
Governors University has changed my life and I say this because I am a 27 year old female and in the middle of my college career I got very ill, so I took a break from school which was only supposed to be one year and that year turned into 3 years. At this point I told myself you are too old to go back to school. After sitting home week after week I told myself you can go back to school and do better than before! Getting back in the swing of going to school was hard, but Governors State University made this process very pleasant for me, which made me excited to start school again. I love my school and all of the staff members there, from the professors to the cafeteria ladies and gentlemen. This a great school and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great college!!