Georgia College & State University Reviews

1,181 reviews
Georgia College & State University creates an environment welcoming to a diverse body of students. The smaller campus size allows for a "home town" feel while away from home.
This is a great college. The fact that the class sizes are small makes it easy to connect with your teachers and get more one on one experience.
One of the few schools I found in Georgia that offered a creative writing major, but their program needs a lot of work. Professors are hit or miss. Rural area so you have to drive to neighbouring cities for entertainment. Not safe to go out past about 10 or 11pm, crime downtown is bad.
Start Your Review of Georgia College & State University
Georgia College & State University has a beautiful, diverse campus. When I visited, I knew that it was the only college I wanted to go to. The advisors and campus tour guides were all so informative and helpful!
I have absolutely loved going to school at GC. I am going to be very sad to leave once I graduate. The facility for the most part are there to help, and the small class sizes make relationships with professors easy to create. The small community also fosters some pretty amazing friendships that will continue far after college.
I was originally going to stay here for two years but transferred after a year simply because I was that miserable. The dominating presence of greek life is what got to me the most; it seemed like every person I walked by was affiliated with a sorority or fraternity and I had a hard time relating or connecting to any of these students, who were all for the most part the “preppy” type. One of my suitemates actually joined a sorority last minute in an attempt to make friends because it is that difficult. Many of the people in the clubs I joined only did them for hours or something to put on a resume and didn't actually care. The campus is pretty, and everything is still in walking distance, but the awful social experience I had at this school wasn't worth it. If you are coming down here alone and are generically shy, I truly think you could blossom somewhere else since it is already a small school down here. If you love greek life and socializing, this is probably the place for you.
It has it's ups and downs. Good things about GCSU is the individualized attention you get as a student here. And perhaps, maybe not so much as a freshman, but definitely as a junior and senior. I also really like the general, non-competitiveness at this school. It really forces you to do the best of you, rather than the best compared to others. It loses a star because of the lack of resources they provide relative to other universities.
Georgia College has been the most accommodating place to learn. While the campus and it's ammenities are both beautiful and make college a wonderful experience, it is truly the faculty and staff that make the difference. Every professor seems invested in my education, and in my experience, they have all been willing to go the extra mile to make sure that I have not only what I need to graduate, but also what I will need in my future endeavors with my career.
This school is homogenous. If you want to go to a place where you can meet people from all walks of life this school isn’t for you. The dorms are nothing special, many have problems with the cable and various other issues. The freshman dorms are a long walk to the cafeteria (which serves basically the same food every day,) and the majority of classes. Professors so far seem knowledgeable , but widely unenthusiastic and uninspiring. The lack of a football team is also a factor you should consider when choosing if coming to GCSU is right for you. If you don’t like to party or don’t plan on participating in Greek life, you might feel and/or be treated like an outsider. This is not a bad school to go to for a year and then transfer in to a better school that’s name looks better on an application, but if you are looking for a 4-year college experience, I can’t recommend it.
Georgia College & State University has a very diverse group of students in attendance. There are many activities and courses that give students a sense of welcome; there is something for everyone, whether it is participating in Greek Life or Environmental Club or even Body Positivity Groups.
Something that I love about Georgia College is their focus on metacognition and the importance of knowing not just what to think, but how to think. GCSU provides students with GC1Y and GC2Y classes that focus on preparing students to think critically about certain issues, providing us with knowledge about various important subjects that help spark the want to learn in all students. Such spark is then meant to start a fire all of us to want to learn, question, and grow independently rather than to simply take the easy route and follow the person in front of us by accepting things blindly.
GCSU has the perfect sized campus. It’s just right to be able to have a lot of friends but still small enough to not get lost in the crowds. I love everything about Georgia College and Milledgeville!
Georgia College is a very involved University. There is plenty of opportunity to get involved with the community and interact with the town of Milledgeville and really connect with it on a personal level. The dorms are nice and the instruction by professors is also of high level.
This is my first semester at GCSU, but it has been pretty good so far. Besides one of my online classes being unprepared for us, almost everything else has been smooth sailing. There were a few bumps with financial aid but that wasn't really this school's fault, it was my last school's. I'm looking forward to experiencing nursing school here!
I really have enjoyed GCSU. It is what you make of it. If you get involved and make friends and focus on school you can and will enjoy it.
I love the environment of Georgia College. It is not a huge college and you need to get involved in clubs or organizations to really get the most out of your college experience. However, it is very homey and you will see familiar faces all around the campus. Very safe and pretty campus.
Overall Georgia College is an amazing school. Everyone knows each other. The faculty are great and love to encourage students. The school and city are beautiful. Professors care about students on a personal level.
Start Your Review of Georgia College & State University
My absolute favourite thing was how everyone was so friendly here! All the staff were very nice and helpful whenever I had any issues, which wasn't often in the first place because everyone was so helpful. Lots of my teachers seemed genuinely invested in how I was doing in their class and at GCSU in general.
The only thing I ever had an issue with was the mathematics department. Most teachers in that area did seem to care, but oftentimes I found they weren't able to teach the material quite as well as teachers in other areas. It would either be extremely difficult, with teachers going completely over my head, or very, very easy, with the teacher practically going back to basic high school math. It'd be nice to see some more focus on that area and to see it improve some.
But overall, this college has a very welcoming and warm environment and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good start to college. Just maybe don't come here if you want to be a math major.
I like the small classroom size and hands on experience you receive from professors. There are also numerous tutoring opportunities to help you become the best student you can be. Georgia College offers multiples ways to get involved through several different organizations, such as sorority and fraternity life, volunteer and job opportunities, honor societies, clubs, intramural teams, and so much more!
My initial visit to Georgia College & State University was overwhelming with satisfaction. The campus is big with a historical taste. The campus appeared to be safe. I saw telephones onsite just in case there is an emergency. The student life center was my overall favorite because of the diverse smells that were making me hungry. The faculty/staff I met were friendly and helpful; which makes me excited I chose this university.