George Washington University Reviews

1,867 reviews
GWU provided me with a great city environment, rigorous academics, thoughtful and accessible professors, and excellent pre-professional development opportunities.
What I like about George Washington University is the tremendous amount of opportunities for students to take advantage of, considering it is in the nation's capital. There are always guest speakers and lectures as well as interesting events that suit the interests of the university community. Moreover, it has an excellent International Affairs program at the Elliott School of International Affairs with a variety of excellent professors and courses.
Upon visiting George Washington University, I have discovered their good value about diversity and international affairs in their school. No wonder they are rated number one on internships. They also value students who volunteer and be someone who acts rather than a spectator.
Start Your Review of George Washington University
In a very urban area next to a metro stop, GW is in a rough neighborhood. You will pay one of the highest tuitions in the country for an average education. The networking is okay but it is nothing remotely impressive
I like they offer online courses. It is very convenient and the professors are very knowledgeably. I also enjoy the location of the campus when i need to go.
I liked how food, classrooms, and sleeping arrangements were all clustered together to ensure all students do not have to go a long way to get things
I am very fond of the connections that one can make at the university with the faculty and the students. The dorms are very well maintained and the school has an abundance of resources. The only real problem is the price. It's an extremely expensive school.
Wonderful college! Wonderful professors! I am active duty Navy and they took care of me very well. The advisors were very helpful and always on top of my education. If there was a problem they were always available.
I attened george washington university. The university is one of the best in the nation. The school management is well organized and they care for their students. The programs are well developed. The main campus is amazing and very close to everything. The meteo, shops, and night activities with in walking distance.
0 STARTS!!! Don't borrow money from this school. The financial department is a joke. They approved and granted me a loan that wasn't due until after graduation. They then said they made a mistake and wanted all the money back asap. I used the money to purchase a computer to access the online program and have attended 2 semesters already. Being that I didn't have thousands of dollars laying around to pay them back, I was unable to register for fall semester. Now I may be laid off work cause of this. Shame on you finacial department!!! Your "mistake" may cost me my carrer!!
I personally enjoy the fact that it is an open-campus. This means that the University buildings and facilities are integrated within the city. It gives me as a student much more options when it comes to activities to partake in or parts of town to explore. I also enjoy the various food options within walking distance of wherever you may be on campus.
Loved my first year at GW. The courses offered, even to freshman allowed me to explore several academic subjects, not even on my radar. Its a challenging environment focused on preparing students for the future. And the DC atmosphere is exciting!
I am thankful I chose to come to this school. The teachers are very helpful. The libraries are state of art. I feel safe. The students are very nice. I feel really blessed that I go to this school.
I think if the counselling center improves the condition and helps student succeed academically better the university will be much better succeedidng
George Washington is the most exciting and active campus I have ever seen. Its students are not only engaged, but eager to join the real world and make a difference. If you are interested in International Affairs, politics, or government, GWU will feel like home.
I went to the pre-college summer program at GW. The staff and alumni were very courteous and organized. I felt safe and I never felt like we didn't have anything to do. Would highly recommend.
The university does not seek to form a bond or community between students. Due to the extremely urban campus, there is no sense of unity among students, which negatively impacts the student life experience. Students are instructed to intern and work in the city as much as possible, but this takes away from any on-campus activity. My experience at GWU was extremely disappointing and I would never recommend it to anyone who wants a traditional college experience, one with a football team, school spirit, and professors that are personally invested in your success.
Start Your Review of George Washington University
I am an alum as of one week ago, and I cannot thank GW enough! My 4 years here have been amazing in every way. From my work/study position at one of the Smithsonians to my professors in the SMPA to an internship that led to a permanent (and fantastic) job offer, GW allowed me to make my dreams come true. With minor exceptions, my professors were top-notch and challenged me to rise to their high expectations. I never felt threatened or unsafe on campus, despite taking some classes at night. I lived in dorms my first two years then found off-campus apartment housing in Arlington (easy Metro ride) for the last two. I love living in this great city. You will thrive on this campus if you have a high degree of personal responsibility, you are intellectually curious, you own your life and don't blame others when things don't go your way and you are eager and ready to be an adult. And graduating on the National Mall is outstanding!
George Washington University provides a very unique college experience. There is a lack of school spirit but it comes as a result of being so integrated in the DC community. There is nothing like receiving an education in the nation's capital. The white house is just a few blocks away and there is no choice but to be incredibly politically active.
As a student at the George Washington School of Business, I can say that I am most proud to be here. This school offers a lot and it is really up to you how much you take advantage of. GW is very diverse and attracts all types of students -- yes, it's true, a lot of students are extremely wealthy, but if you're outgoing, you will find people you relate to. I lived in Thurston Hall my freshman year and although it is not the nicest and cleanest dorm out there, I recommend you live there to meet people -- it is so easy to meet people and make friends. The party scene at GW is great, whether you're in a fraternity or sorority or not. Although most fraternities are kicked off campus there is still plenty going on. Living in the city, a lot of people go clubbing so there is always something to do.