Gavilan College Reviews

Some teachers are great, others not so much. It's not the most glamorous of colleges, but it has a nice campus and has a lot to offer if you put in the effort and use the resources provided to you. I definitely wish there was a choir, though.
At my short time at Gavilan College it was difficult to find an advisor that would help me achieve my goal of transferring. The professors also did not take teaching seriously and made it less rigorous because of the community college title. Most teach at a local state school and prioritize that course opposed to the one being taught at Gavilan. However, I enjoyed being able to take around 20 units and maintain a high GPA. Professors were open with meeting after class or during office hours to clarify any questions or concerns.
Need to be more flexible
Start Your Review of Gavilan College
Great campus with very friendly people
Some online classes demanded toomuch
All the professors are great
Always have fairs or someone readily available to help advance your degree or career
Full time nursing schedule. Classes finish early so still have time to work at night.
Very close to home with lots of options and flexibility. Great CC
The only issue I have at Gavilan College is that there are not a lot of options for class schedules and professors. A few of the high demand classes are only taught by one or two professors and some are only available for one section or a certain schedule. There is not a lot of flexibility with this school so students must anticipate the classes they will be taking at least a semester early so that they are able to plan ahead for work or other obligations.
There are career fairs that Gavilan College hosts, as I remember, at least once every semester.
For a regular student, it might be difficult to register into high demand classes such as biology, chemistry, and etc. However, taking advantage of the programs like MESA and Trio, as I have, helped with getting into this classes as they offered pre-priority registration which allowed MESA and Trio students to enroll a day before continuing students and new students. It's always a good habit to find out the class style and lecture style of all the professors you are looking into taking a class with.
With the help of the programs I am in, MESA and Trio, my academic experience was great. They made sure you took the right classes and they offer plenty of tutoring services inside and outside of school. Other students in these programs also helped giving tips and advises on how to do great in classes. The programs also offered several internship opportunities. In my case, I have been offered to become a peer mentor and tutor for MESA and Trio and have happily worked with them for 2 semesters.
Gavilan College is the closest community college from where I lived. It's been a great experience attending Gavilan College especially because of the student supplemental programs like MESA and Trio. These programs optimized my experience as a college student. The programs allowed separate counselors only for the program and that has been beneficial to students like me as the counselors are able to touch base with you more closely. The MESA program especially ensures that you are taking the right classes and path to the degree you want to achieve. They are very supportive and encouraging with every aspect you allow - be it academic, personal, and professional. For the prospective and current students, I highly recommend looking into these supplemental programs as they will work with you so that you may achieve success in your future. There are plenty of other programs such as EOPS, Disability Resource Center, Veterans Resource Center, and etc.
I am getting my general Ed done here at Gavilan college, and most students here are too. It's difficult to get into popular classes, such as Statistics, Biology, and English. These are the main core courses students need in order to complete their Ed plan, so these are usually always full. I think because professors know this, they are willing to be flexible to help us with anything. My past and current instructors really love to help their students succeed, so they do take the extra mile to show us useful websites or videos and any events we could attend outside of school. Each class is different on work load, but usually the classes with labs tend to be more critical, because you're doing extra work.
My classes are reasonable size, making my lectures feel more intimate. It feels like my professors are devoted to help us achieve our goals. Gavilan college is not too big for me to get to my classes. It's easy for me to get to class on time every day. My online courses are simple to navigate and complete my assignments with clear instructions. I enjoy walking around my campus, because it is very beautiful with all of the big trees around. Everyone here on campus is helpful and very caring. I always feel safe and eager to continue learning more in all of my classes. I would love to come back here again, however, it would be great to seek out other schools. This is a small town with students coming from around the area, so you'll see familiar faces each semester.
The school is affordable, which is one of the real and only reason I am attending Gavilan college. I probably wouldn't choose this school again because the counselors don't seem to care much, it seems like they give you a little bit of information and want you to get out of there.
Start Your Review of Gavilan College
The school I'm attending this semester isn't very helpful. The counsellors are okay but they don't communicate with their students much unless you go to them because you need something. I'm only attending right now because I want to get me general Ed out of the way and transfer, but I'm not sure if I want to be at Gavilan long anyway. If I had a choice to choose this school again I most likely wouldn't.
Gavilan College is nice, however, it's mostly a stepping stone for me until I can transfer to a 4-year college.
The staff is somewhat helpful and the campus is very nice. But as an incoming freshman the whole college process is very confusing and more help would have been greatly appreciated.