Franklin & Marshall College Reviews

Amazing school. Students and faculty are bright, thoughtful and welcoming. Campus housing options are varied; lots of juniors and seniors live off campus. Food needs greater variety. Lots of opportunities to get involved in clubs, athletics, volunteer service,
Beware that grant awards we be drastically reduced each year. By the time senior year rolls around (when the ability/likelihood of transfer is remote) the grant will be less than a quarter of what it was freshman year. This is a common practice at this school. Do not be fooled by a generous offer freshman year to get you on the hook.
I came here for the music program and the astrophysics program. Astrophysics is a growing field here and there are plenty of research opportunities here. However, it is one of the smaller programs on campus. Even so, you will find plenty of other astrophysics students to hang out with and the professors are great. Dr. Trainor is an awesome professor to have, but there are a lot of other great physics professors as well.
The music program is incredible. The faculty are all friendly people who you quickly come to trust. There is a great diversity in music ensembles, but it is a small school, so you get all of the drawbacks of that. All instruments are represented and you won't feel extreme pressure like you would for smaller ensembles.
Start Your Review of Franklin & Marshall College
Amazing education and opportunities -- I loved my time at F&M and it set me up for career success. I had an incredible opportunity to learn from accessible professors and conduct independent research.
It is a very rigorous and academic environment. I absolutely love my professor and classes. The students, on the other hand are not my cup of tea. I have always felt like an outsider here. Honestly the school reminds me of prison (but maybe I've been watching too much OITNB) the whites stick with the whites, the blacks with the blacks and so on. The college has done a great job of recruiting a more diverse crowd, but the people here are either the white preppy upper mid class or first generation low income students--there is not many students who fall in the middle of the spectrum. Also they place too much of an emphasis on sports and greek life-not a fan.
I really enjoy my small size classrooms and the engagement that students have with the courses. Also the staff are very friendly, encouraging , always available and more than willing to help with anything.
Franklin & Marshall College does not truly offer what it promises. Attending the school is completely different than what they advertise during tours, on their website and in interviews. The school can easily be defined as preppy, and the main focus of the students is not truly on academics, as the school widely advertises. Picking classes is also extremely difficult. For the school's high price tag, students should be able to enroll in the classes that they want to take instead of being enrolled in 1 or 2 classes and on 30 different wait lists.
I transferred after my freshman year at F&M, and I am glad I did. The student body is stuck up and entitled. Do not attend this school unless you want everyone to know your business, whether it is good or bad people will find out. The dining plan is one step up from prison food, so you be the judge of that. The administration is cracking down on all greek life and partying on campus. They are also shockingly unqualified. There are only a couple big events on campus and turn out is poor. If you are looking to seriously party after your freshman year, you must join a fraternity or sorority. Athletics are okay, people show up usually because they are cheering on a friend. Freshman housing is really outdated, the dorms were built in the 60s. Also, students, faculty, and administration are extremely liberal and not afraid to show it. Academics are rigorous, so be prepared. There are a lot of drugs on campus. Students hail mostly from PA, NY, and NJ. Good luck!
Unless you are close minded and hold liberal beliefs I do not recommend attending this college. Everyone, including the faculty, professors, and a vast majority of the student body, is very judgmental towards those who disagree with their liberal beliefs. Those with conservative beliefs are belittled within the social as well as academic environments on campus. The so called "professional" staff clearly sides with those who hold the same liberal beliefs that they do. In addition to the uninviting environment on campus, the curriculum the school requires does not even transfer to other 4 year universities, so if you want to transfer to another college or university it will be extremely difficult. To sum up, Franklin and Marshall is a very close minded, unreasonable expensive college that is not worth attending if you desire an environment to expand your own views, learn through new, exciting experiences and obtain a useful education.
Our college president, Dr. Dan Porterfield, is an amazing individual and mentor that works immensely to make sure that every student, no matter where they come from, feels welcome and accepted on campus. One thing I would like to see change at Franklin and Marshall are the food options. I would like to see a better dining plan innovated to offer more healthier food options for students to have on campus.
I made good friends here. The professors at this school are top notch; however, there is not a large academic environment at this school. Students are focused on typical "American" ideals rather than European conversationalism.
There's not a lot to do on campus besides going to parties on weekends. You only have a social life if you are either on a sports team or participate in Greek life. Clubs aren't really a thing and pretty much unheard of. Games are barely attended. Students constantly get alerts of crimes near/on campus such as students/professors being mugged right off campus or townies sneaking into the dorms. Classes you want are hard to get into, and course registration is a nightmare. The art, science, and dorm buildings are pretty dilapidated.
There were a lot of things I didn't really like at F&M, but I was lucky to have made really great friends and have had understanding and enthusiastic professors and deans. Overall, it's a caring community and everyone's nice. The academics are challenging in a great way, and professors are always willing to help with the course material and get to know you. The people on this campus are what made my experience more bareable and not all worth a waste.
Unless you are getting financial aid, this school is a waste of your money. Courses are broad as there are not enough students to offer courses on specific topics. OSPGD (career services) is useless unless, for some reason, you want a job in Lanc. And almost all of student life is corraled by the college to take place on our highly regulated (keg-free) campus where you are required to register any all parties with our train-wreck administration.

Bottom Line: If you're looking to go to this school, get ready to be in classes with 8 people, use gender-neutral bathrooms, and go to zero tailgates.
Professors are nice and helpful. However, the campus lacks diversity and multi cultural student interaction. Students tend to form bonds within their own ethnicity and not much effort is being made from both the faculty and the student body. The campus dining options are limited and the hours of operation are somewhat inconvenient.
Franklin & Marshall is a beautiful school, dedicated to its students. The campus is gorgeous and enclosed with a great balance between nature and city-living. When I visited, it was pouring rain and no one else showed up for the tours. I was paired up with a tour guide who was majoring in my intended subject area, and I got a personal tour of the campus. I was able to meet professors and talk to students about their experiences, and I felt very at home. Despite the rain, which normally would've put me in a bad mood, I left the tour with a smile on my face and warmth in my heart.
Great professors, decent dorm life, and fairly good food. Great liberal arts education that can be applied to the real world. The student body is very preppy and dominated by frats or sports teams but many events for everyone to go to.
The new administration needs to chill out with shutting down frats every weekend. It's so much safer when frats have parties versus random small parties. But other than that and class being difficult, F&M isn't that bad.
Start Your Review of Franklin & Marshall College
I am a first year at F&M and I enjoy the atmosphere there. There's great people making sure we don't go hungry. There's many clubs & organizations to choose from. For the book worms Shadekt Library is not only beautiful, but full of books. Sometimes a rare conflict shows up, but there are many people ready to help and are not afraid to speak up.
Prior to coming to Franklin and Marshall I was sold on the idea that this campus would offer a welcoming community and rigorous academics that would challenge my thinking and perception of the world. However, upon arrival I noticed that the school's atmosphere was fairly unwelcoming. Different races stayed to themselves and the community advertised in pamphlets and info-sessions did not mirror the reality. I tried stepping out of my comfort zone by reaching out to other people. I tried to create the community I wanted to see, but nothing worked. Luckily enough, I was given some great professors my first semester. They were kind and understanding, but I felt as though I wasn't learning much in class. The academic rigor seemed to come solely through the compounding of assignments given at one time, not in the form of intellectual challenges that allow students to develop critical thinking skills.
F&M was my first choice college, and has lived up to my expectations of a liberal arts college well. Most reviews are going to be extremely negative or positive so I'm going to try to stay neutral. The academics are challenging, especially for someone who is lazy like me, but with around an hour of work outside of classes you can manage and all day study sessions will be enough to get you a good grade on tests. The party scene is somewhat lackluster, frats make up a large amount of whats available and can be hard to get into if you're a guy and don't know anybody. I'd recommend joining a school group of club sport team to have a party option available to you each weekend, although swimming is always open and always an awesome time.