Ferris State University Reviews

1,911 reviews
I was at Ferris for a year but then decided to transfer because I didn't like it so much. I felt that the people on campus were not very kind or welcoming, there was nothing to do, and the academics were just average. The food was not worth what you pay at all and there were many instances in which I felt I did not belong there at all. One of the biggest things I felt is that you had to drink or party to have much of a social life. I did not enjoy my experience there.
If you are used to a smaller town you will love Ferris. It's not the biggest campus but it's a good size for what and where it is. If good food on campus is a deal breaker, Ferris has great food available on campus.
This university is well known for their careers that they offer. But the thing that interest me the most about this university is that they have a great automotive program
Start Your Review of Ferris State University
Ferris has a great MSW program. The professors seem to truly care about what they do and their students. Overall it has been a great experience and I am enjoying student life from a non traditional standpoint.
Love Ferris very much. Love the size and the professors. My classes for the most part are great. They are not to long and not to short. I would recommend people to come to Ferris no matter what degree your going for. Ferris is very welcoming just wish there was more diversity.
Over all, Ferris State University is a great school. Most of the instructors have have field experience, and many still work in their field of practice aside from teaching,which brings a dynamic of real life education to supplement the instruction criteria. I have yet to encounter an instructor that in unapproachable or willing to help students succeed.
As well there are many activities for students every week end including athletics, games, community volunteer opportunities, and social events.
Professors don’t care about your academic career - basically you’re on your own. Advisors are unhelpful and mess up your schedule so you have to stay in school longer. Classes are a joke and no one takes this school seriously. Don’t waste your time or money
Great articulation agreement with Mott Community College! I was able to take 3 years at MCC and 1 year at Ferris to obtain my degree in business administration. It was more economical to do it this way. I could take classes at the community college instead of commuting daily or weekly. On line classes were great as well.
Coming to Ferris is probably one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life. Everyone is nice and you fit in very quickly. I’m in my 3rd year and I still find new things to do everyday. Nothing ever gets old and the food rocks!
Everything is great! I love this university. I am right now getting my masters degree in criminology and Ferris has been the best school for me. The campus is kind of on the smaller size which turns out I love. The smaller campus feel is for the best part. Also the workers make you feel like you are home.
I have only experienced two classes from Ferris. Both of them were offered to me in high school, so I do not have a full comprehension of some aspects. From what I have experienced so far, the teachers seem to be very good and accommodating. I have had no problems reaching out to them via email or other discussion boards.
So far my Ferris experience has been eventful and joyful. The campus is lovely and the cafes serve good food. There are nearby food places if you want different options. Also the shuttles on campus are convenient when trying to get back to your dorm after a long day. The University Center is amazing and the FLITE is a great place to study and do work, a beautiful building with a beautiful view.
I like Ferris state. Some athletics are good, the teachers are willing to work with the students and they have different organizations to keep the students busy versus getting in trouble
I like Ferris because it is a smaller school but you hardly see the same people walking to and from classes. We also have a lot of student origination to be apart of and they put on a lot of different events during the school year. One thing I would change is the amount of things to do off campus. In the summer not a lot of people are here because it is a college town so nights can get kind of boring. I think we have a very diverse population, including race, ethnicity, age of students attending Ferris, among others. One of the biggest things that needs to be worked on and that I would change would be the advisers, sometimes they do not know all the correct information and then you are taking classes you don't necessarily need for your program. They should send you to talk to someone who knows more about the topic so you aren't sent in the wrong direction.
Ferris is incredibly impersonal. With the rising technological advances, Ferris is becoming less and less personal. They don't have enough staff in some places. Some classes are terrible and boring, others are interesting enough. Don't expect anything from your advisor. I had one meeting with my advisor and he told me to talk to someone else. I guess it's not the guy's fault, more​ the whole management system. Because your advisor is just some professor in your field. But that's like giving a gym teacher a job as a history teacher. Like you don't have enough people so you make unqualified people do the jobs you can't fill. Plus you don't have to pay another person. All in all, it's a college so it's a gigantic scam and everything is more difficult than it needs to be. So you can't be too optimistic.
Our family did a campus tour for my brother who would like to attend. I was wonderful and full of information. There is a lot to do and see just walking around campus.
I really enjoy Ferris State. The campus is small which makes finding friends pretty easy. Plus, there are a TON of clubs to join!
Start Your Review of Ferris State University
I really liked the friendships I made there and how many different opportunities there were to get involved in the campus. The huge downside of Ferris is its location in Big Rapids. It’s pretty small, especially for me since I originally live in Grand Rapids.
Ferris State University has decent food and sports. The science department is excellent. They attempt to get students involved but the only places most students hang out is off campus at parties/bars.
I love the atmosphere here. The professors I've had are amazing, the campus is beautiful, and the people are amazing. I transferred to this school hoping to get a better opportunity than what my previous institution was providing me and I am not disappointed one bit. I feel at home at this college.