Fashion Institute of Technology Reviews

1,431 reviews
Fashion Institute of Technology is an amazing school full of diversity. I've had an amazing time here for my first year and can't wait to go back. I can't speak for other major's professors, but the professors in the Illustration department really push you to be the best that you can be. The students here are also very talented so it's a bit intimidating, but for the most part everyone is super friendly which is surprising to me as I've always been told that New Yorkers can be quite scary. Everything is easily accessible and within walking distance, but if you really aren't in a walking mood the subway is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. There are 3 dorm buildings on campus (Alumni, Nagler, and Co-ed). All buildings are guarded by 24 hour security and you have to show your ID to get in. The cafeteria food is okay, but if you aren't feeling that you can always get something from outside of the school. There are food carts everywhere.
The professors at the Fashion Institute of Technology are seasoned professionals in the fashion industry. Their knowledge and guidance is so valuable. It is also in a great location- Chelsea.
I thoroughly enjoyed how interactive majority of the professors were - you could approach them for course assistance and would often receive it with no feeling of imposing. The library had computers and books available in pristine condition. Campus was always clean and fitness Centre was a plus.
As an international student, I had hoped they had more financial aid assistance and resources available to help make certain processes easier. They could look into providing scholarships to international students.
Start Your Review of Fashion Institute of Technology
The class size is small, with 10-25 students per class. There are a lot of clubs on campus. The student government has a lot of events for students on campus. The IT department is helpful. The professors are knowledgeable. The school does not help very much with job placement after graduation. The administration is not great.
Good college in the sense that the professors are great although some still feel as if they're in their glory days back in the newsroom or agency. The worst aspect are the students; a majority are pretentious and snobbish who feel the need to more often than not put people down. Maybe it the fashion industry in general who feel that their work in the industry matters to society, well it doesn't. And apparently some girls never leave high school because the cattiness level is through the roof, I've seen girls and their little posses (because FIT is clique based) talk so much shit about other girls that it's appalling! And god forbid your the kind of person that isn't into partying and a bit shy, both the teachers and students make you feel bad for being shy. Honestly FIT isn't worth your time, but if your the kind of person who thinks fashion is everything and like to bring people down because of pettiness this is your school!
They have great communication and make processes easy to understand and complete. The admissions and financial offices have been very helpful and answered all my questions.
F.I.T is a very welcoming school. Classes are filled with around 20 students no more than 30. It is organized well, and helpful. The school has many on campus activities and an awesome writing center that can make an improvement on your grades. So glad I’m in this school!
as I'm a first semester freshman, i love it. I love the professors , they truly care about their students. the classes move at great pass where you don't feel overwhelmed
The school is great for fashion students but it specializes in fashion design. If you are sure you want to pursue a career in fashion design, the school is highly recommended. The school has a great fashion design curriculum with many renowned professors in the fashion business. It is important to note that the school is intensive and fashion design students spend late nights working on projects. The fashion business management program is a good program if you are planning on staying in the retail industry and in fashion. The school has many connections with companies for internship and full time opportunities. Most students study full-time and have internships during the semester.
Attending the Fashion Institute of Technology has been the best decision of my life. Coming from a small town in Ohio, I was not exposed to much diversity. Which is a totally different story at FIT. I am so glad to have the opportunity of attending school here. The academics and professors are amazing. I have learned so much about the industry, people, and life overall. I would highly recommend the Fashion Institute of Technology to anyone interested in fashion or business.
Since this is a fashion school, most of the funding and attention are directed towards the fashion majors, as for other majors, the school doesn't seem to care about them. They don't listen to the professors who work in the department that they are teaching and ignore their advices, they change the curriculum to how they see fit. As for the party scene, you definitely need connection as their isn't any sorority houses or frat parties. If you are below 21 years old, you basically can't even get a party scene unless you have connections.
I love that it has so many resources for students concentrated career choice, and that there is a wide-array of classes to take.
LOVE IT! Diverse people, good selection of classes, opportunities to meet new people, multiple security guards everywhere. Safe and clean campus.
I am currently on my first year at FIT and I am very content with the safety of the campus. As a women of color I am very comfortable at the college due to the diversity it hold, though I believe they need to work on the food the cafeteria holds.
I came into FIT unaware of the opportunities that would arise for me. FIT is literally your second home. When you reach out to the right people they will help you. Not only is this a school but it also cares about your success outside of campus.
FIT is a great school for someone who is very determined to become successful in fashion. While I enjoyed my time at FIT, it is not a typical school. There are no huge football or basketball games. You basically go to class, then go to work or go home. The only way to break this mold is if you are involved in any of the clubs. I was in the Gospel Choir and I met so many great friends that way. FIT will challenge you and prepare you for the real world. They are all about their business. I think they need to improve on their Financial Aid office, that is my only con.
FIT offers amazing opportunities in a variety of specialized areas including fashion, art, design, mass communications, business, and more and offers professors with real world experience who you can connect with. It really is an out of the ordinary school and isn't your typical college, but it is located in the vibrant and dynamic hub of New York City where opportunites abound and almost anything can be done.
Start Your Review of Fashion Institute of Technology
Great school teachers really push you to be great work is very time consuming but isn’t hard you just have to take time to get things done I wish the FD work rooms stayed open past 2 am for fashion design student because we honestly need more time but it’s great
FIT is a great school. Full of resources and connections. It's really what you make out of it. The facilities can be upgraded, but we have a lot to appreciate for.
The energy of creativity and the student displays of art throughout campus really encourage you to go out and display your craft.