Eastern Illinois University Reviews

1,205 reviews
I like the lower tuition and fees and the textbook rental program. I wish the professors could work a little harder and show more interest in their students and subject matter they are teaching.
The food isn't anything terrible, my only compliant is that they serve the same things every breakfast. The campus is small which is very nice because you can simply walk from one side of campus to the other side within 10 - 15 minutes. Charleston is a college town so all over town there is a strong EIU atmosphere and because of this, if you're into partying, bars aren't difficult at all to get into. Be aware of the math department its literal hot garbage, they can't teach well.
I never actually had an experience at Eastern Illinois University, but majority of my associates and friends attend this college. I have not heard any negative reviews on this college. I have heard nothing but good things at this college. The only thing I have not heard about when it comes to this college is what the food tastes like. I wanted to know if the food tastes good or not because food is a big part of mu life. I love good food and I love to eat good food not disgusting food or decent food, the food literally has to be on point.
Start Your Review of Eastern Illinois University
The online General Studies BGS program was amazing! So convenient for adult learners like myself who have full time jobs and a family to support. The teachers are great and so happy I was able to complete my degree.
The faculty are excellent and really put heat in their work. They are very knowledgeable and humble at the same time. Care about the students and always have time for them when they need it.
Actually, everybody cares about students and their comfort - all the way to the janitor. It seems this is the trademark of EIU
The campus is very well organized like the layout and like students’ life. It offers a variety of places to eat, rest and study. For those that want to organize their life on their own, there are many restaurants and grocery stores are very close.
One may choose to not have a car because all is in walking distance and also there is a bus shuttle that goes to town essential places.
There are many fraternity, clubs, and activities.
EIU offers an excellent online education experience for those trying to complete their education while working. There is a wide variety of degree options available. Tuition is affordable and the school offers the resident rate for out of state on-line students.
Eastern always makes me feel at home. It was hard findin a college that would offer exactly what I was looking for. They’re very welcoming and excited when freshman come in.
It's a good school just need to make changes in things related to diversity. Need to tailor more things to the minorities such as change of food offerings.
When I first stepped on this campus I was scared and did not really know what to expect. But now that I am here for a second year I proud to say that I have officially made this campus my second home. I was welcome and greeted by nice people and by the second week of college my freshmen year I have been making a lot of friend and getting involved on campus. Seriously if anyone was looking for a college Eastern Illinois University is your place.
The family went here so I did too. It's really nice. Its not overwhelming . If you need to get work done you will and still can go party .
There doesn't seem to be a great deal of student involvement. There seems to be a lot of staff employed who don't lack the capacity to do they job properly ( Specifically in the international/ foreign affairs department). People have lost their visas due to the lack of competency in that department. There are very few professors who actually teach, mainly their concern is their research ( which though is understandable because it can be stressful and lack of research can get you relieved from your position). A lot of my peer, alumni, and international student will admit that a few of the departments are " a joke". But with stating the bad, I must admit there are professors who make your time at Eastern enjoyable, entertaining, and interesting. The ability to meet people from different cultures through different multicultural events is very inviting. Lumpkin and Dounda are beautiful inside and have a lot to offer.
What I like about EIU is the fact that the campus is considered very small compared to some surrounding schools. Having a small campus makes it easier to get to know people and the walks are a considerable amount shorter to get to dorms, classes, and the dining hall. Although some of the aspects of the school are “average,” there really isn’t something i would change about Eastern Illinois University.
I chose to come to Eastern Illinois University because of the diversity and the strong benefits that the school provides with my major. Exercise science is big when it comes to this University. This school is also one of the cheapest schools in Illinois and it is 3 hours away from home, so traveling is very convenient. The food is manageable and there are parties going on every weekend.
I enjoyed EIU because of college experience. It is not an overpopulated place or school, so you can really take time to learn and focus on your academics without all the stress of a large class size.
I am very happy with my experience at Eastern Illinois University so far. It has gave me many opportunities, and I think it is preparing me for my goals very well. It is a school that isn't too expensive, has amazing professors who teach very well, many fun things to get involved in, and is diverse. I love the school!
The people here are so friendly. The campus is small and very quiet. They have a lot of fun events that everyone would enjoy. The class sizes are small, and you really get attention for all your professors. There are a lot of tutoring offered for difficult classes.
The college looks nice, but they don't seem to care that much about prospective students. When I was accepted, I didn't get so much as an email, and only found out when I checked MyEIU. It was months before I got an actual letter of acceptance. For the most part, the only emails I got were ones telling me to check MyEIU, and I would only to find nothing new from the last time I checked. The most helpful email I received from them was one with a link to a survey that let you cancel your application. They canceled my application in April, and after that, I finally started getting emails about stuff at EIU, and they are still coming. I can't say I regret canceling my application, and if they cared so much then they should have started sending these emails last fall.
Start Your Review of Eastern Illinois University
Small university with a rather diverse population for a rural town. The professors are knowledgeable and personable and the smaller class sizes allow for a lot more interaction between students and teachers.
The school is really invested in your academic success. However, they tend to overreact and assume things instead of investigating them further. the students and staff here really care about each other and that shows.
I would like the school to be more involved with bringing every student together. The first week when school started they planned a lot of things that weekend so we could be involved. Also if something happens on campus the school should notify us instead of hiding it.