Drake University Reviews

THE GOOD:
Overall, if you value academics, diversity, and student life, Drake University is an excellent option. You work hard to earn a degree that's both respected in industry and graduate schools. There are many academic programs to choose from, allowing students to fine-tune their interests. Professors are incredibly knowledgeable and strive to help you succeed. The new STEM buildings are incredible.

THE BAD:
The campus is safe, however sexual assaults and other crimes do happen. The immediate area is not safe at night; shootings and robberies happen sometimes. When these happen, students are notified by automated phone calls and emails. With this said, I have never felt unsafe walking on campus at night, and Drake is taking steps to improve safety in the area.

THE UGLY:
The worse thing about Drake is its food: they use Sodexo for their food services provider. In short: the service workers are wonderful but the food is bad. They do run two Starbucks cafes on campus though.
I would like to see that the interpersonal relationships between faculty and student is made more accessible. and opportunities for LGBT and People of color should be more accessible and plentiful.
I am starting this fall. I have been kncanpus and really like the environment for students. I look forward to staring my education at Drake.
Review Drake University
If you read one review, read this one. 120K for a college education is not worth it. Drake University is 30K a year, at least. Absolutely do not attend Drake, if you are paying for school yourself. I would also highly advise you pay no more than 40K for all four years, if you decide to attend. It is not worth the amount of crying you will do when you pay $900 a month in loans. Drake is no different than any other college in the US. Your education will be no better than a public education and you will be left with four times the student debt the average student accrues. My advice? Figure out what public school you want to attend. Talk to an advisor and find out what elective courses are required. Then, take those credits at a community college and then transfer them to the public university. After finishing the elected courses, attend the public university, and try to graduate in 2-2.5 years. This will save you so much money and prevent you from fighting to stay afloat as I am now.
After finishing my first-year at Drake I have had a immense amount of opportunities. The size of Drake gives everyone an opportunity to hold executive positions and get valuable experience
Drake University is a fabulous establishment! The University has small class sizes, a great professor to student ratio, the professors are very accessible and truly want to see their students succeed in college and in life.
I love the sense of community at Drake. There are so many clubs and organizations that there is something for everyone. I have the privilege of constantly seeing my friends from the clubs I'm involved in around campus because of the smaller population of Drake.
Students are not accepting or open to new people or ideas. The professors and faculty are great and very helpful. I feel as if I am getting a good education for the amount that I am paying. Scholarship opportunities are great. The students are some of the cliquiest, most close-minded people I have ever met. If you are not interested in drinking and partying, there is nothing to do on campus during the week or on the weekends. The only organizations that have events are Greek organizations. The dining is awful and I have gotten food poisoning from it twice in the year I have been here. The area surrounding the campus is very dangerous. Shootings are not uncommon in the blocks surrounding campus.
Drake University is a great school! I enjoy the academics. I learn new things everyday in class and it's a great school for my major. The only thing I would like to see change is having more diversity. Drake is slowly but surely trying to work on this now.
Drake is a great place to meet amazing and passionate people as well as get involved in all sorts of activities and causes. It is the perfect size, small school with just under 4,000 students. I know every professor and they know me. Everyone goes out of their way to make the best experience for you!
Campus is great. Definitely a community and welcoming environment everywhere you go. One thing that needs improving is the entrepreneurship program. The classes right make the major feel completely useless and there's a better use of time elsewhere.
Drake is very inclusive of all different types of people from different backgrounds. There is some sort of club for every single person, because Drake offers such a large variety of clubs. I also feel like Drake is very good at preparing their students for the future.
Most professors are very caring and do their best to help each student. The worst thing about Drake is probably the dining options.
I think Drake is a good option for students who want a small school setting in a more metropolitan area. Drake is located centrally in Des Moines which allows students access to restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc. Drake does lack diversity. Most of the students are upper-middle to upper class and white. Drake has a tradition of excellent academic achievement. There is also a large presence of Greek life (fraternities and sororities) on campus.
Drake University has a beautiful campus in Des Moines, Iowa. The campus is filled with tree and the live mascot, Griff, can often be found around campus.
DU is prestigious with many opportunities.
student support, but education top priority
Review Drake University
DU is private, comparable students, challenging
The SJMC has a +90% student placement rate, meaning most students find a job or get accepted to a grad program within 6 months of graduation
I really do enjoy attending this school and am happy that is where I am