Drake University Reviews

The thing that I like the most about Drake University is the personal connections you are able to build since it is a smaller school. Every visit after my first one, I was greeted by the faculty I spoke to by my first name; the fact that they recognized not only my name but what it was that I wanted to accomplish at Drake, meant a lot to me. It meant enough to me to draw me in for the next four years.
I am currently a freshman here. The education is the best you’ll find with some top notch investors but if you’re looking for a party school then Drake is not the place for you.
I love my professors and the academics but the social crowd is very absorbed in their Greek life. Very pleasant college visit but hard time finding an average group of people.
Start Your Review of Drake University
I love that Drake is a smaller university which allows students to have smaller class sizes. It is also nice that it is located in Des Moines so you still get the opportunities that a state school would offer.
There's a lack of diversity (not their fault but could be better) and it sure is an expensive university that could be so much more.
However, the campus is nice and pretty safe for the most part.
Lots of local internships available and athletic programs on the rise. The neighborhood can be shady but it’s not as bad as people make it sound.
There have been problems in the dorms that haven't gotten fixed properly (many cases of mold and paint bubbling, the fan units not working correctly). The food choices are very limited and it can be hard to find something new to eat. However, the students and faculty work together very well and the College of Business creates a community that provides students with a path that guarantees them success.
The people and teachers are wonderful. The campus is beautiful. I feel safe and comfortable there for the most part. The food is better than my parents'. The classes are challenging. Griff, the live bulldog mascot, is adorable. There is always something to do. My only complaint is that it's really expensive.
Drake University is a small university that has amazing opportunities for students and staff. One of the best things about it is that it’s easy to get around campus. The staff and the professors here are very helpful. I am glad I choose this university and I am a proud Bulldog !
Drake is an awesome school located in the biggest city in Iowa. The campus is beautiful and on the smaller side. The people there are super friendly and the faculty and staff are always willing to listen to you and help you. There are so many fun classes, you are ensured to enroll in the classes you want and will enjoy them.
Drake is a great university that really challenges it’s students to do the best. Professors do an amazing job making sure their students succeed and really get to know their students. The students become a family and overall attending Drake University is an amazing experience.
I really like it here. As an incoming freshmen a lot was done to make the transition a smooth one. I already had high expectations for this school, but once I was actually here I felt completely assured that it's where I belonged.
THE GOOD:
Overall, if you value academics, diversity, and student life, Drake University is an excellent option. You work hard to earn a degree that's both respected in industry and graduate schools. There are many academic programs to choose from, allowing students to fine-tune their interests. Professors are incredibly knowledgeable and strive to help you succeed. The new STEM buildings are incredible.

THE BAD:
The campus is safe, however sexual assaults and other crimes do happen. The immediate area is not safe at night; shootings and robberies happen sometimes. When these happen, students are notified by automated phone calls and emails. With this said, I have never felt unsafe walking on campus at night, and Drake is taking steps to improve safety in the area.

THE UGLY:
The worse thing about Drake is its food: they use Sodexo for their food services provider. In short: the service workers are wonderful but the food is bad. They do run two Starbucks cafes on campus though.
I would like to see that the interpersonal relationships between faculty and student is made more accessible. and opportunities for LGBT and People of color should be more accessible and plentiful.
I am starting this fall. I have been kncanpus and really like the environment for students. I look forward to staring my education at Drake.
If you read one review, read this one. 120K for a college education is not worth it. Drake University is 30K a year, at least. Absolutely do not attend Drake, if you are paying for school yourself. I would also highly advise you pay no more than 40K for all four years, if you decide to attend. It is not worth the amount of crying you will do when you pay $900 a month in loans. Drake is no different than any other college in the US. Your education will be no better than a public education and you will be left with four times the student debt the average student accrues. My advice? Figure out what public school you want to attend. Talk to an advisor and find out what elective courses are required. Then, take those credits at a community college and then transfer them to the public university. After finishing the elected courses, attend the public university, and try to graduate in 2-2.5 years. This will save you so much money and prevent you from fighting to stay afloat as I am now.
After finishing my first-year at Drake I have had a immense amount of opportunities. The size of Drake gives everyone an opportunity to hold executive positions and get valuable experience
Start Your Review of Drake University
Drake University is a fabulous establishment! The University has small class sizes, a great professor to student ratio, the professors are very accessible and truly want to see their students succeed in college and in life.
I love the sense of community at Drake. There are so many clubs and organizations that there is something for everyone. I have the privilege of constantly seeing my friends from the clubs I'm involved in around campus because of the smaller population of Drake.
Students are not accepting or open to new people or ideas. The professors and faculty are great and very helpful. I feel as if I am getting a good education for the amount that I am paying. Scholarship opportunities are great. The students are some of the cliquiest, most close-minded people I have ever met. If you are not interested in drinking and partying, there is nothing to do on campus during the week or on the weekends. The only organizations that have events are Greek organizations. The dining is awful and I have gotten food poisoning from it twice in the year I have been here. The area surrounding the campus is very dangerous. Shootings are not uncommon in the blocks surrounding campus.