1. Redmond, WA
  2. 4 Year

DigiPen Institute of Technology Reviews

Being at DigiPen Institute of Technology is like stepping into another world. It's different from most colleges because you are learning your degree right from the beginning, and you're treated as an equal among your peers and professors. If you get stuck, there is always someone around who can help you or point you in the right direction for help. The campus is very diverse, with people from all walks of life, and the faculty and students take great steps to make sure that everyone feels welcome.
Digipen is not a learning institution in the sense that you don't go there to learn. You go to prove that you already know. Most of the teach are unqualified to even teach. In my experience, Digipen doesn't even test if the teachers can speak English proficiently or even have a viable academic plan. There is a reason why Digipen only less than a 30% retention rate and the dropout rate is so high. The degree programs are so experimental that they burden the students with unbalanced workloads and poorly planned assignments. There are many teachers who are simply unqualified to teach their respecting class. For example, some of the teachers who teach in the design degree program have never designed a single game in their entire life and just copy and paste their teaching materials from the Youtube channel "Extra Credits." If you want to learn and don't have much experience in coding and/or want to learn game design; go to any other college that has software engineering or psychology.
I feel DigiPen is a good school. One thing you have to be willing to do is work. No matter what degree program you go into, you WILL be piled with work throughout a semester. It's important that you have decent time management; if you don't have time management, you can still get by, but it's crucial to get those time management skills.
I'm love this school, not because this school is easy or stress me out less. It's because they gives us a chance to do, or learn what student want.
DigiPen is a school where you put hard work in and get out amazing work. I get to work countless hours on the things I love. All the assignments and art courses are relevant to each other. I get to explore something I love and continue doing it as a passion and a career.
It all depends on what you have taken
Availability in each semester is a problem.
I haven't found any helpful things for me yet.
  • Recent Alumnus
  • 7 months ago
  • Value
It's hard work, but if you can do it, then do it.
It's a great school for those who love games.
As a student who is specializing in audio, it is very interesting how my course sequence has been laid out. Just this year, I took a class about writing a synthesizer using code. It was an amazing experience. We get access to some of the best audio technology in a special room filled with music equipment, it's great.
DigiPen has taught me more in one year, than I had learned in my four years of high school. The school is constantly trying to be better than it already is, and constantly evolves with the industry. Everything you learn is closely related to what employers are looking for today. DigiPen by far is the best school!
From what I've heard, there will be a large variety of classes that cover every topic imaginable. There have also not been any complaints about the scheduling.
From what I've heard, they will be excellent. They really know what sorts of advice a student of that age would need, as well as plenty of connections and resources.
  • College Student
  • Feb 1 2016
  • Value
According to past alumni, it's very easy to get a job straight out of school, as well as internships while still attending. There are many of the top companies employing from here, as well as doing guest speaking sessions and such. Not to mention a wide variety of career fairs and very supportive career counselors.
  • College Student
  • Feb 1 2016
  • Value
So far, I've had limited experience with the school. I've seen and read many things as well as visited the campus itself. The environment seemed just right for what I was looking for and the intensity of the workload, as described by the current students, will be an enjoyable challenge.
Like I said before, it's actually difficult. The classes are enjoyable and the professors are amazing. Everything is pertinent to what I want to do after college.
For once, classes that claimed to be difficult legitimately challenged me. I actually enjoyed the lectures because we didn't constantly go back and re-explain things - teachers helped students outside of lectures, not in the middle of them. I also enjoyed having classes that revolved around what I want to do with my life as opposed to a pile of English classes simply because it's state law.
The classes are pretty great, but because of the lack of flexibility in schedules for a REQUIRED class, I either had to quit my job or wait to do the class the following semester. Seeing as how I live in my own apartment (cheaper than on campus), I had to wait to take the class.
The moodle system is a bit outdated, but it's simple to use.