Dickinson College Reviews

Dickinson has a racism issue. During this past Halloween weekend, a first-year member of the men's lacrosse team, a white male, dressed up as Colin Kaepernick with a blackface, an Afro wig, and kneeling. Another member of the team, another white male, was pictured holding a gun to the head of the student dressed as up Kaepernick. Many students, especially those of color, were outraged. The school put out a public statement acknowledging the act “deeply offensively” but *a form of free speech*. In a public statement, the school encouraged students to engage in constructive conversations. As many students saw it, the school failed completely by not calling racism as it is.

The incident was consistent with the apathetic culture on this predominantly white, privileged campus. Think hard about the environment that you or your child is about to step into before applying.
Dickinson is a small liberal arts school with professors that really care about what they're teaching and want to see you succeed. The campus and town are super cute and fun to explore.
The education is worth looking past all the other crappy things about this school. The professors are all amazing and the classes are very interesting. The library and academic buildings are excellent. That being said, the food here kinda sucks and the social scene is very odd. Lots of cliques and to get into good parties you pretty much have to be in greek life or on a team. Also, while dickinson public safety is very helpful, they are literally out to get people who party. They circle around campus every night, and on fridays and saturdays they wait near known party locations, just so they can bust them up. Its a little much. I like this school, but it certainly is difficult to adjust to.
Start Your Review of Dickinson College
I love Dickinson! My first year here was very satisfying all around as a student-athlete. I found the ability to balance both athletics and academics, which is crucial to all coaches and athletes. My expectations were surpassed especially with regards to campus awareness. This college is very aware of diversity and contemporary issues. Two of the main pillars of a Dickinson education--global citizenship and sustainability--are present in every major's curriculum. I've found that alum have been able to apply their skills to jobs that might not even be related to their major. This skill is more important than ever because in 5-10 years, there will be jobs and industries that do not even exist yet.
I am a current high school senior hoping to attend Dickinson in fall 2018. I toured the school twice and I fell in love with it. The professors I talked to were so helpful, all the coaches were so nice and they really cared about their student athletes. The students seemed genuinely happy to be on the campus and to tell the tours about their school.
I like that Dickinson is a small college because it let me get to know my fellow students not just from my year but also those who are not. The staff is absolutely friendly and so very helpful. It is a liberal arts school that welcomes all.
I transferred out of Dickinson after my sophomore year. The student population is very cliquey, and more of a hierarchy than a community. You can definitely find your niche if you look a little bit, but the overall atmosphere of the school is pretty snobby, especially on some of the sports teams and in a few (not all!) of the Greek organizations. Again, that's a generalization and based on my personal experience, as I know some people who have attended and found a good group and managed to tune out the rest. However, be prepared to be exposed to some mean girls and douchy guys who value "relevance" over everything else. Coming from a public school in a small town where everyone is friendly I was really shocked to find what I did at Dickinson.... It's a place that looks great on the surface, but isn't always wonderful underneath that. Take a look at the freshman retention rate.
Dickinson College is good for people who want to be away from a city, focus on their social lives or want to meet a tight-knit community of people. The professors are VERY eager to help you, however, the small campus will foster a lot of competition among people.
I am currently a student at Dickinson college, which is a small liberal arts college (2500-3000).
If you are seeking close community, constant interactions with professors- this college is for you! The campus is pretty small, and the amount of people attending the college is small, so it is easy to get to know people, you won't feel lost.
The college has pretty good program in Russian, Profs of this department are very nice and are willing to help students, so if anyone wants to pursue Russian, it is a great choice!
Dickinson College has great academics and is a good place to expand your knowledge. But as an institution that is modeling the next generation of the American work force, I'm scared. Dickinson and the student community is working to make the future of America self victimizing and isn't creating a place where the students' ideas can be challenged and become more self reliant. The students here complain about the world and how we need to change it, why be a part of a group that complains instead of preserves.
Decent academics, good professors, not worth the money. Also, never get sick at Dickinson. Their process for requesting a Leave of Absence is incredibly confusing and only disservices the student. I should be worrying solely about my health right now, but can't, because of all of the bureaucratic garbage. I am more than healthy enough to go back to campus next semester, but the process for "changing my student status" is dragging on to the point where it's affected my ability to register for courses next semester. I also had employment through the school over the summer, but they took that away since I "would technically still be on leave until the first day of the next semester." Meanwhile, I can attend a program over the summer at another university without a problem. I pay enough to go to Dickinson that this shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. All the administration of the school cares about is money and its image.

Tl;dr Don't go here if you think you'll ever end up getting sick.
Students are either privileged or extremely unsophisticated. There's no in between. While the school does have great academics and professors, a lot is missing: good sports teams, school spirit, things to do on the weekends, a good town, a safe town, lack of an even male-female ratio (way more women than men), and a very limited selection of academic programs (one professor told me that I wouldn't be able to get another class in my major until spring of my junior year.) Most people here don't really like it and complain about being stuck in Carlisle all the time. I don't really feel safe in town either, there are a lot of people wandering around on the loose. I'll be transferring next year, and even though I've met some good people here, I really hope that prospective students will take the reality of Dickinson outside of what you see on the tour into consideration before committing - I wish I had. My advice would be to do an overnight on a weekend to see if it's right for you.
I liked the classes, the professors, and the friends I made. Pretty much everything else needs work at this school.
The college is on another planet from the rest of the world. Even the town of Carlisle separates itself from the college. The college is way more political then you may think and is very far left. Not much goes on and school pretty much becomes your life at Dickinson.
I am thriving at Dickinson College. Being a shy person, I now can stand up and debate political issues in my debate class. I can present my research in business class. My professors are top-notch. My first year seminar professor invited the whole freshman class to his home for dinner. I will never forget the delicious chicken, with spaghetti, and salad. My business professor, graduated from Cornell University, took our team of four students to lunch with a Hershey executive. What's lifetime experience.
I love it here at Dickinson! It is exactly what you think of when you hear "small private liberal arts school". It was definitely the right decision for me.
Dickinson College is beautiful and very spacious. The building itself is historical and incredibly beautiful. It's located in a small town, Carlisle, where there are infinite things to do after classes. This college would be a great beginning for anyone's life, especially those who like a simple life in a simple city. Dickinson college has a perfect, calm environment for those who need to study or relax. There are big red chairs located outside, which are perfect for Spring, Summer, and Fall weather just to settle down and unwind. Not only that, but also inside the college it’s a perfect learning environment with friendly people everywhere to helping to guide and lead students toward success.
Start Your Review of Dickinson College
Dickinson strives to continually improve the student experience by introducing new programs, support systems, and academic resources. The teachers and the staff are extremely dedicated to the students.
Dickinson College is a liberal arts school that provides a diverse education which prepares its students for the real world in a manner not seen in other institutions. The small faculty to student ratio allows professors to establish personal and meaningful relationships with their students. Dickinson also provides a large variety of on-campus clubs and activities that appeal to any interest a student may have. The local area around Dickinson contains the resources needed for college life. Overall, Dickinson College is a great place to prepare anyone looking to graduate and go into their major with confidence.
Classes are great. Very interesting except languages but those are required.