1. Carlisle, PA
  2. 4 Year

Dickinson College Reviews

The college is on another planet from the rest of the world. Even the town of Carlisle separates itself from the college. The college is way more political then you may think and is very far left. Not much goes on and school pretty much becomes your life at Dickinson.
I am thriving at Dickinson College. Being a shy person, I now can stand up and debate political issues in my debate class. I can present my research in business class. My professors are top-notch. My first year seminar professor invited the whole freshman class to his home for dinner. I will never forget the delicious chicken, with spaghetti, and salad. My business professor, graduated from Cornell University, took our team of four students to lunch with a Hershey executive. What's lifetime experience.
I love it here at Dickinson! It is exactly what you think of when you hear "small private liberal arts school". It was definitely the right decision for me.
Dickinson College is beautiful and very spacious. The building itself is historical and incredibly beautiful. It's located in a small town, Carlisle, where there are infinite things to do after classes. This college would be a great beginning for anyone's life, especially those who like a simple life in a simple city. Dickinson college has a perfect, calm environment for those who need to study or relax. There are big red chairs located outside, which are perfect for Spring, Summer, and Fall weather just to settle down and unwind. Not only that, but also inside the college it’s a perfect learning environment with friendly people everywhere to helping to guide and lead students toward success.
Dickinson strives to continually improve the student experience by introducing new programs, support systems, and academic resources. The teachers and the staff are extremely dedicated to the students.
Dickinson College is a liberal arts school that provides a diverse education which prepares its students for the real world in a manner not seen in other institutions. The small faculty to student ratio allows professors to establish personal and meaningful relationships with their students. Dickinson also provides a large variety of on-campus clubs and activities that appeal to any interest a student may have. The local area around Dickinson contains the resources needed for college life. Overall, Dickinson College is a great place to prepare anyone looking to graduate and go into their major with confidence.
Classes are great. Very interesting except languages but those are required.
It's a very safe school.
Freshman dorms will always be freshman dorms, but upperclassmen housing is pretty lit.
  • College Freshman
  • Housing
You have to be Greek to get into good parties.
My freshman floor is super small, but we all get along and it's definitely an advantage having a network of people that I live with and genuinely respect.
  • College Freshman
  • Housing
I chose Dickinson as my ED school. Everyone was super friendly on campus when I came to visit, and I knew I wanted to apply right away. Like all freshmen, it's been a transition, but I've been able to quickly find people who I can spend time with and rely on for support. My classes have been challenging and engaging, and the professors do truly care about student success. My advice to anyone applying this year/in the future would be to consider how small of a town Carlisle is. It's a cute town, but for a lot of people I have come across, not having immediate access to a major city has been a real culture shock. Number two, if parties are your thing, they can be limited and occasionally hard to get into, especially for freshmen. But, if parties aren't your thing, don't worry. There are plenty of other ways to get involved and fun activities and trips to try. Lastly, don't expect football games to be huge social events. Not only does our team not have the best record, but we're also a small(ish) D3 school. Overall, it is a lively, motivated student body, and already I have created positive memories! Just remember to take all of the small-liberal arts factors into your decision. :)
The career center is really helpful and your professors want you to be successful. Every peer will help in any way they can to set you up for the rest of your life outside of Dickinson.
  • Recent Alumnus
  • Value
Dickinson is an exciting place. Everywhere you turn, there's another adventure, a new person to meet, another club to join, another interesting class. The fun never stops here. All you have to do is put yourself out there for people to get to know you and you'll find your niche. It's an accepting community and you'll leave knowing you made the right choice.
DPS is only here to help. If they come to a party, they just want to make sure everyone is safe. No one is looking to get you in trouble and if you need someone to walk you home almost anyone is willing to. Dickinson is very much a tight community and we look after one another.
As a freshman, you're lucky to be in Adams or Drayer. They have the nicest rooms and bathrooms by far, but the lower quad dorms aren't bad either just not AS nice. Upperclassman housing is also great.
There isn't much greek life presence on campus if you're not in a frat or sorority so it really doesn't make a difference to be in one or not. Its a great way to make friends and expand horizons, but it certainly won't make or break your life here.
All or at least most of the parties are thrown by the sports teams, whose games are rarely attended but everyone on the teams has really nice team ethics and are really close. Being on a sports team will definitely give you an advantage here, but its not everything.
I've only been here for a couple of weeks, but so far my classes are engaging, the clubs have been welcoming, and I haven't been bored ye (including our Drinkinson weekends).
Weekend brunch is great. I really like my advisors. The prehealth program is great.