Des Moines Area Community College Reviews

DMACC does a good job with preparing students working towards a degree or transferring to a University at an affordable cost. The professors vary in qualifications and how they treat students (I have had my fair share of good and poor professors). The Ankeny campus provides a Student Center with food choices, a gym, and places to study.
DMACC's Graphic Design classes were phenomenal and excellent for me this last semester. It rivals four or five other Graphic Design colleges around the country. One of my professors, Monte Ballard, explained to us why DMACC's GD program is the best.

"You see, when you look around at other colleges, they're going to charge you tens of thousands of dollars. The reason I wanted to teach at DMACC is because I grew up on a farm, poor, and I loved computers; while my father wanted me to farm. Going to college for new technology, like the computer, was hard. DMACC competes in competitive design with other colleges like UNI, ISU, Drake, and another east-coast college; placing near the top. -- You won't find a better Graphic Design program for the price DMACC's giving you."

And the pricing's don't lie. Ask any student that's graduated from DMACC's GD program, and they'll tell you it was great. Even some of those students work at big and hard to get into companies right within Des Moines.
Not sociable at all. Very good professors for the most part, just a very boring experience. Easy to find your way around after awhile, but parking is still kind of annoying at times. Everyone has a poor attitude of just wanting to "leave and get out of there" or just transfer ASAP. There is little or no school pride. Maybe someone will have a fun, amazing experience if they claim a major right away. Also, if you are from out of state like me... count on everyone knowing each other from high school, and not ever really fitting in. Urban Campus is the least judgmental, even though I learned not to care about that stuff. haha. Everyone is nice for the most part though, I guess.
Start Your Review of Des Moines Area Community College
DMACC has a very positive and supportive atmosphere with plenty of happy faces ready to help. I do not ever feel as if I am in the dark about anything. There are a ton of activities both on and off campus. The small class sizes make learning more effective and it is so much easier to make friends! With this being my first year of college, DMACC made the transition comfortable and welcoming, and I am very happy I decided to go here first. As someone who will be transferring to a 4-year school, the advisors and teachers are very knowledgeable about which classes I should be taking before I transfer. I feel prepared to move on to my four year after I leave DMACC next year and am confident in my education. DMACC has prepared me in more ways than just my education. Thanks DMACC!
My experience at DMACC has been incredible. There is so much diversity and opportunity for success. I would like to see more on campus activities.
Very helpful, loved the small classroom gave me a real chance to be able to work with the professor in areas that I was struggling in class.
I live this school. Lots of activities and services. I have used counseling, advising, vocational rehabilitation, disability services, and more and each one was very helpful.
The teachers and students here really make you feel apart of a community and I'm so happy I'm getting my education here!
I love how comfortable the environment is. I can go up to any of the staff members at the Urban Campus and just have a casual conversation with them. The staff at Des Moines Area Community College is wonderful, I am glad that I chose this school to be my next step after high school.
It has been a good experience so far. I have liked all my teachers except for one, but it was partly the class too. It was college experience which was boring and I didn't learn anything. I have enjoyed the flexibility they have because of different campus locations. But because they have so many locations it's hard to have enough teachers and can't offer as many classes at the smaller classes like the Southridge center. Also at the Southridge center we need more tables for students to do homework and it needs to be a quiet place not the lounge area. Some of the books have been really helpful. Although I wish we wouldnt use the books so much because they are expensive and just tey to get more real life experience since thats what its going to be when we graduate anyhow.
I can honestly say that DMACC is a good community college. I attended two separate campuses throughout my career. The first was West Campus. It was ok. It was a relatively small building and that was all their was to it. Nothing there made me want to stick around after class. However I would recommend the Ankeny Campus. This has many buildings and a more college feel. Most of the instructors I had were awesome. If you showed effort and a willingness to learn they were with you 100 percent. I only had one professor who was pretty awful. She was not friendly or helpful whatsoever. She also was historian working on writing a book so I think a lot of her energy went into that instead. Overall though it was a great and affordable experience. P.S. Avoid the campus bookstore and go across the street to the Textbook Outlet. Way cheaper and much friendlier!
its an amazing college with a lot of good programs and very affordable. the school has many programs that really focus on hands on teaching it gives students the opportunity to learn and also to develop a strong network with local employees. I would highly recommend this school to any student who's is looking for a place to start their education.
I am currently taking online classes at DMACC, and I have had an amazing experience. The classes have great instructors. Their online website is quick and easy to navigate. Their advisors are knowledgable, and there administration makes everything easy for the student. They make it very easy for someone to work full time and still succeed in online classes. I would highly, highly recommend enrolling at DMACC if you are interested in continuing your education without too much stress!
they are very helpful in helping me decide my major and answering all my questions. they helped me find scholarships that fit me and my family. the campus is lovely and the professors are nice and actually help you with work. you get more one on one contact, which is helpful for people that come from small tons like me.
While at DMACC I enjoy the professors, I like the way they teach and if you need help they are very understanding about it. They have free tutoring and a room where the professors help you out if you need it. The campus environment is very clean, smoke free and safe. The students are very friendly and help you around the school if you need help. They don't have many food places on campus but they're near by food places to eat at for lunch.
The professors are super caring and will give you one-on-one time if needed. There is free help everyday which includes tutoring. The campus is very easy to walk around and everyone is super friendly.
My college experience so far is great. I feel independent when I'm at college. I have to admit I don't mind doing homework because the homework flow is steady for me.
Start Your Review of Des Moines Area Community College
Des Moines Area Community College has a comfortable atmosphere. It’s a great place to learn what you want to go into later in life for better price range then some colleges. They have a very unique “culture“ all of their own. Staff are friendly and very helpful. The student are very friendly. There are no real racial boundaries or even popularity hierarchies.
Many opportunities while at this college, I would recommend someone thinking about going there to do it!
I attend the Urban campus so I don't know a lot about the Ankeny campus. Urban has been wonderful! I am a non-traditional student so going back to school was scary. I am a TRIO member and I highly recommend applying to try to get in.