Delaware Technical Community College - Stanton-Wilmington Reviews

I am not sure if this hasn't already changed, but when I went it was 2014 and I wanted to go into the Nursing program but was highly intimidated by how competitive it was. There were people there because of how cheap it was to get started but didn't want to ACTUALLY attend the school, and people like me that wanted to be there. They didn't have a contingency for those who didn't make it but didn't want to lose out of all those credits. I don't want to forget the reason we do come to the school in the first place, the faculty cares about the students, even if they don't care enough about themselves. We aren't in high school anymore, it isn't free education and it is on us if we learn or don't learn. I love coming to this school.
I really like the small classes, I feel like it's a good feel if you really need the extra attention. Food is ok, it's also in the vicinity of other various food shops around downtown Wilmington. I'm only a freshmen and my major is Culinary Arts and I'm only taking my prerequisites but so far so good. In-state tuition is decent and affordable, they have the SEED scholarship if your a graduating from H.S. They a have a variety of ways to pay for school, just have to e willing to look.
I really appreciated the small school. I was able to connect well with all of my professors and the small class sizes really helped me adjust from homeschool life to college life. I will also be graduating this semester, debt free!
Review Your College
The experience makes you learn to be independent. I would like the school to have a more excited vibe.
Teachers can be very individualistic and sometimes offer little support.
Delaware Tech does not offer many programs after you have earned your degree.
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
At Delaware Tech, there is many options and opportunities to earn valuable experience. The classes are challenging but informative.
Delaware Technical Community college offers a flexible and expandable schedule to earn your degree quickly and help you achieve the skills necessary to achieve success
In terms of sign ups, the school notifies you even a month or two before sign ups go up, to remind you to see counselors and get your class schedule straight, so when sign ups go live, you can so quickly go fill out for your semester registration. So students have an ample amount of time to be ready for sign ups. Otherwise, you can really lose out if you just wait around after knowing a long time prior to registration going live, and sign up at the end. They offer a wide range of classes and times, but if you wait until last minute, of course it won't be as flexible. I've been able to schedule the classes I wanted, so I have no complaints. I schedule classes to accommodate what I want.
I love online classes. They really go at your own pace. Of course, there are still deadlines, but you can really take your time. Of course I don't recommend cramming, but if that's a thing you have to do, you have that option. It feels very free and feels as though it gives enough time to actually absorb information if you give it the time of day. Online classes here still enforce communication between students, such as threads to make a discussion entry and then comment on others' responses. The teacher emails frequently to update students on what has changed, what deadlines are coming up, and what has been added to the course workload. Personally, I've emailed the teacher many times to make sure I do things right, and the teacher has a speedy response.
Classes are very laid back. Teachers are there to teach, but a lot of times teaching also comes from watching a video online or just doing it yourself. Some teachers just give little guidance and expect you to find the answers on your own. Something of inconvenience is if there is a class I want, there is a possibility it is not offered at Stanton or Wilmington, and I cannot take that class because the other two campuses are too far away to make it to.
The school really tries to accommodate to your needs when coming to your dream career. They try to gain as many possible internships, invitations to job fairs, and try to provide ample amounts of services to help guide you to a career or job you want to land or work your way up toward.
  • 8 months ago
  • Value
Being in the Human Servies area, the program really encourages you that, to be a part of this area, communication is mandatory, and you have to make that full effort. Most the time, it is primarily discussion about topics we are learning about, even our own experiences with counselling or other aspects to a certain discretion to keep privacy. Most recently, we have discussed about theories of counselling, what we like, what we do not like, and how to make connections between theories and applying them to real situations. Other than discussion, it's about note taking or team work. It's no a severe load at all. Just enough to keep from overwhelming, and enough where things are easily remembered. There is even a human service group program to join.
With Del Tech being a community college, it feels more tight knit in terms of students and teachers. There's a lot of room for interaction and friend-making even while studying or looking for tutors/help in certain areas. Teachers are extremely approachable and always ask at the end of a concept along the lines of, "Does everyone understand or do we want to go into more detail?" I think Del Tech is pretty fun; they offer little events with music and food, job/interview fairs, movie nights, even field trips out of state. I think at a university, events like these would be completely packed and chaotic, but here, it seems so low key, enjoyable, and even encouraging in the educational aspect of the school, because everyone likes to talk about their passions and what they're here for. Overall, I really think Del Tech displays one of the many epitomes of what a great college really is.
I did not transfer any credits into DelTech, and I have not yet transferred credits from DelTech into another school.
The online math courses which were offered by the mathematics department seemed very new to the overall program. There were a lot of issues with how these courses were run, especially for struggling students.
As previously mentioned, I do not have enough experience with career services to comment.
  • 12 months ago
Review Your College
Given that I am going on to another school to finish my bachelor's degree, I do not have enough experience with campus career services to to comment. However, one of the instructors in my major did introduce her class to the possibility of a summer internship program.
  • 12 months ago
  • Value
The courses provide a great deal of information and are well designed - except for the math courses. There is too much reliance on computer programs to teach material and grade assignments/quizzes/tests. This allows for less-experienced instructors who are not as skilled at assisting struggling students.
The Criminal Justice major is difficult, but necessarily so. The academic rigor weeds out those who are not really dedicated or interested in the profession.