Dartmouth College Reviews

Filters Applied:
I have really liked Dartmouth so far. I have met some amazing people from my freshmen dorm, and can't wait to return sometime soon. Academics are tough but rewarding, and most profs seem pretty accommodating and helpful.
I love the community. Students will build each other up academically, it's not a contest between students. Super inclusive campus
I attended Dartmouth for 2 summers on a college program. I really loved it out there because of how nice everyone was and how beautiful the campus is. The food at the college was great and the dorms were really nice. I got a chance to be able to have a football player and we made a really good bond. I got a chance to meet the head coach train at there field.
Start Your Review of Dartmouth College
Love the tight-knit community; however this isn't a school for everyone, especially for those who prefer big cities and aren't interested in outdoor activities. Professors actually care about you and want you to succeed.
One thing that I love about Dartmouth is the tight nit community and the wonderful relationships I have established. I don't like how cutthroat the academic culture is and the unrealistic expectations.
My favorite thing about Dartmouth is that we have a very strong school culture which helped me to transition from high school to college because I had all these weird Dartmouth traditions and practices that made me feel like I was a part of Dartmouth. In the future, I’d like to see Dartmouth make more of an effort to find ways to reach students who aren’t into the quirky Dartmouth traditions, because I think while these traditions are helpful for some students, other students may be a little overwhelmed by it and feel gen more isolated from Dartmouth, in conclusion, I would like to see Dartmouth actively engage students who are often marginalized and on the fringes of Dartmouth community.
I am about to embark on college life this fall, and although I have not experienced much of Dartmouth yet, it has been quite rewarding so far. I have already connected with a number of amazing people from all over the world, and have sampled a little of the vast course offerings at Dartmouth. i am super excited to begin my very first term in September!
Dartmouth is providing me with an unmatchable opportunity to pursue a prestigious education that will allow me to excel and exceed any and all expectations while accomplishing my goals.
I like the small student body and faculty to student ratio, the small class sizes allow for greater classroom learning from peers and professors.
I think in the end, I look back and love the time I've spent at this school, because I've grown so much as a person compared to when I first got here: emotionally, socially, and academically. The school has given me many gifts of friendship and maturity, along with many challenges in the classroom and lab that have made me think about myself and my future goals. The professors here are generally amazing and make an honest effort to connect with students, no matter how many there are. Some even memorize everyone's names beforehand!!
I definitely ran into some really rough spots here, and the pre-med track is incredibly difficult at times, but all of my gratitude still goes to Dartmouth for an amazing four years.
Dartmouth has a great community, with supportive students and professors. The campus is beautiful and there are many resources available to students. I wish there had been less of an emphasis on Greek life and better career and advising services.
I am a dual enrollment high school student who has taken one class at Dartmouth and hopes to take another one before I graduate. I had a very good experience in my class. The teacher was really nice and helpful and was willing to spend lots of time with the students to help. She encouraged questions and when she couldn't find time to help she had a TA there to help. One thing that would have made the experience better was there isn't a lot of parking accessible to commuting students so you would have to walk from far away parking lots.
The Dartmouth Experience - how we call it - is unlike any other. It allows you to challenge yourself in ways you never though possible. I do wish that mental health was talked about more, as I have struggled the past 2 years and have only recently received support from professors and staff.
As I have suggested previously in this survey, 1 out of every three classes I have taken EVERY trimester has been very poor. Not just "not great" but actually very poor! One teacher out of every three has been a terrible teacher, or extremely difficult to understand and often their tests are extremely unfair and do NOT reflect the material taught in class. When the entire class performs poorly, the grades are curved so it appears that everyone did adequately, but the reality is that in those classes we have NOT learned, we have lost an opportunity to get excited about a topic probably lost a spark of interest to further explore an academic area. For the tuition we pay, we should have phenomenal teachers and when students complain about a professor year after year, they should at least NOT be teaching introductory classes. I am not alone in feeling extremely disappointed in the overall teacher quality, at least during the first two years' introductory level classes. Don't get me wrong - there have been some very good teachers too - but the ratio of terrible teachers to great teachers is not what it should be at an IVY League school
Only issue with housing has to do with the Dplna, where students leave campus for 1 trimester during their sophomore year. This requires a lot of moving in and out of dorms. it also means that during the sophomore year, your friends that you made during Freshman year are never all at school on campus at the same time. Each trimester that you are at school during sophomore year, people that you care about, or are learning from or working with are constantly coming and leaving campus for several months at a time and it is a bit of a negative. Sophomore summer when everyone is there again is really nice. Unfortunately, then in Junior year, people start leaving again to do a semester abroad.
I would definitely choose Dartmouth again. I love the spirit of the school, the people, the professors and all of the non-academic learning experiences that are available. I think in the Engineering school there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of consistently having consistently good teachers. For the most part, teachers are good in the entry level classes, occasionally there is a great teacher, but often ( so far 1 class out of three, every trimester) there is one teacher who isvery suboptimal in their ability to teach or communicate well. Not acceptable at this type of school.

Additionally, because Dartmouth is out of the way for most companies, their engineering recruiting fairs are extremely lacking in depth and availability. Much of the fair is online. Being only 3 hours from Boston, The Thayer school of engineering should host a weekend or trip to Boston for a recruiting fair to coincide with all the other colleges there when there are HUNDREDS of companies available to talk to and connect with. Students could take a bus to Boston and even make up the classes that are missed at some later point if necessary. Job hunting and internship opportunities are far inferior than at many other schools, even if they are not as highly ranked as Dartmouth!
They care about students and aren't too punitive
Start Your Review of Dartmouth College
Lots of involvement in sports/athletics!
Alumni networking is great. There are many career centers and fairs that help students get to the next level.
I've met new people from around the country and the world. The classes are a wide range to choose from and so far my professors have been very supportive in helping me pass and be successful in the classroom.