CUNY Hunter College Reviews

1,803 reviews
My cousin studied there. I started at BMCC. They say, start here go anywhere. Hunter is where I wanted to go. They have a great science program. I am glad I am here now.
Hunter College is a very diverse college since it a CUNY school. You can not only find students from across the five boroughs, you can find many international students from all across the world. The location is not ideal for eating out since there are only a few places close and cafeteria food is expensive. However, there are several Starbucks close by for coffee and a local coffee shop. In regards to academics, the professors are very proficient and knowledgeable in their fields, though some lower level classes are taught by TA's. One issue that may come up is for science classes such as chemistry, which have class sizes in the hundreds, with not enough lab classes. Due to the class sizes, students may not be able to ask a question in class. But Professors and TA's always have office hours and are willing to answer any question a student may have or even do group study sessions. Overall though, I would say as a student I've enjoyed my time at Hunter.
Not a good school to transfer to because all transfer credits are not applied properly according to your major. You need to seek out each individual department head for approval of your transferred credits if you want these to count towards your degree. Otherwise, everything is labeled "non required liberal arts" and you end up wasting money taking courses over again. Irresponsible academic advisors, and financial aid department is a joke to behold.
Review CUNY Hunter College
Like the wide range of opportunities for students interested in the medical field. But also offers majors in other fields of studies specifically in the liberal arts and humanities. They also have many groups and clubs for many different types of students ranging from religious groups, dance groups, art groups, music groups, culture groups, food groups, fighting and self defense groups and groups of those sorts. They also have a gym and fitness section including a pool which is real useful if you're looking to get comfortable with a fitness lifestyle.
I was at Hunter College for 3 years as a Computer Science major. However, I have recently transferred out of there and will be attending NYU. Here are some factors that led me to transfer out of Hunter College. First, I felt very left out as I was getting no support/care from the school. Let me be clear, I was working very hard to maintain a solid GPA and had been successful in retaining it. However, I was not getting anything in return from the school. There was no care for the students such as job opportunities, advising etc. Moreover, most of my classes are taught by adjuncts who are fresh inexperienced graduates. Even higher level major classes, where one needs get insights of every single material, are taught by recent Hunter graduates, who I felt like sometimes knew less than me. Moral of the story is, I could have learned everything on my own just by sitting home. I finally decided to make a better investment and now hoping to acquire a quality education from NYU.
Hunter college is great if you have a busy life and are trying to get an education. It's very close to everything, and it has a great courses.
Upon enrolling at Hunter College, I was welcomed by peer advisors, who were all current juniors or seniors. They made me feel welcomed, and as if I had already been there for years. They assisted me when applying for my first semester and they answered all of my questions.
Since I was an honors student I received benefits that made my experience worthwhile such as free dorming and tuition. The facilities at Hunter could definitely be improved as well as student life on campus. Since it's a commuter school, many students return home right after class instead of hang out with friends on campus or around the city. Hunter could create more programs and put more funding into student life.
Very friendly environment! Professors and faculty are always willing to help and are understanding. There is a tremendous amount of diversity which is great.
I have been studying at Hunter College for a semester now, and I loved the art program. The college gives you enough free studio hours to work on your assignments, and the materials given by them are really good quality.
The vibe of the school is poor. No one makes an effort to get to know each other. It seems that each student competes to see who is more diverse and who is a greater minority. In a time where each person should be empowering each other it makes you feel like you just arent enough.
Hunter is an interesting school. It's located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, so you're in the city. Your social life will really stem from that. As for academics, some of the best professors are at Hunter College. It is a great CUNY school, and overall, my experience was very positive.
The act of determining the college that one would apply to is a very important decision. This decision is crucial because it is accompanied by the risk of taking such a tremendous step, the healthy fears of becoming a more independent individual, and the courage to take that step regardless of the difficulties and hardships that may stand before you. The simple fact of life is that there is more to getting accepted into a college than just applying. Your performance in high school, paying for tuition, and SAT and ACT scores are very important factors as well. Researching your college of choice can definitely benefit you and allow you to prepare and even change your plans if necessary. I chose Hunter because it for teachers, and I would like to be a teacher in 2019.
It's a great college especially if you're looking to go into the science field and don't want to spend a lot on your undergraduate degree.
Hunter is a great school, you are continuously challenged, and SOME of the professors are great. They just opened up an AMAZING tutoring center on the 7th floor library which is free and has helped me soo much!
The only thing that really gets in the way of this school is their financial office, bursar, registrar (technically the most important ones), but from my experiences they have tried to solve it adequately. I LOVE the diversity n this school, which was one of the main reasons I chose this school, besides their great in-state tuition.
Food at Hunter can be a bit expensive, which I heard is because everything is kosher, but their regular fries, wraps, and chicken teriyaki are great.
The most beneficial factor about attending a CUNY school, I would have to say is the tuition cost for education. It is no question that city schools provide the most affordable programs. Regarding, Hunter College in particular, besides the expense, the location was important for me. It's pretty much centrally located in the city with public transportation all around and easy access to local shops of all sorts for any basic necessities. Because it is in the city, everything seems fast pace and for some that is fine as we have families and jobs we have to take care of at the same while acquiring a degree but for other's that may be the issue. It would be useful to have tutor's and/or extra curricular programs offered with flexible schedule's to accommodate everyone at Hunter.
It is my first year at Hunter and the place is amazing. Everyone seems so nice from the professors to the students. Everyone is so helpful. If I ever need help or am concerned with something, I can just ask and get help.
Review CUNY Hunter College
Some of the best resources, faculty and in the center of the city. If you're a transfer student, or if this is your first college, you've chosen well.
Hunter College is a great environment for learning. Social and academic skills are learned here. Professors at Hunter College are decent. Overall, I love the school.
The professors are the best! The antisocial people need to change! Thats the worse part about the school