CUNY City College of New York Reviews

1,545 reviews
The City College of New York, also know as the Free Academy, is a university that values diversity and education. The school provides an environment for students to explore new ideas and cultivate new clubs and foundations upon the campus. The university seeks to connect to the neighborhood as a form of outreach. If I could change something on the campus, it would be the communication between the student body and the administration. There is a barrier between students needs and the administrations response.
It is the type of college you go to get a degree and that is it. If you're looking to party and have fun go somewhere else. If you are just trying to get your degree and move on with life, this is the college for you.
My overall experience with this university is irreplaceable. Both of my older siblings attended and graduated from this school, and all three of us can agree that we couldn’t have made a better choice.
Start Your Review of CUNY City College of New York
The environment, the professors, everyone is very welcoming t=in this school. Its kinda hard to have a bad day here.
I have been part of City College for more than five years. It is a wonderful place to study. The environment is very friendly and the college is very resourceful. Professors of the college are always willing to help their students. However, over the past couple of years, the tuition fees got very expensive. Sometimes the advisors of the college don't pay much attention to the course s they recommend. Therefore, I ended up taking a course that was not required. This caused me to lose money and time.
It’s a pretty good school but they give very little guidance. They could be better with advising on which classes to take.
Honestly, I enjoy this school a lot more than others. There's a very mature feeling that I'm in love with. The professors are okay but the education and knowledge gained from this school are amazing and you meet a lot of great people on your journey!
I did a STEM program at CUNY City College to enrich my knowledge in Math & Physics. The classes were extremely challenging but I learned a lot, and feel more prepared for the school year. I took Physics and Advanced Algebra, and struggled a lot with the former due to it being the first time I ever learned Physics and due it also being a class that brushed upon Topics of AP Physics and beyond.
It has great academics with a diverse campus. The classrooms could be much better, there old and not as up to date as some other classrooms on campus.
A school that provides an incredibly diverse student body with an amazing education for a reasonable cost. The professors here are top notch, all passionate, qualified individuals who care deeply and are energized by teaching. Students come from so many backgrounds and bring so many perspectives to discussions.
City College was extremely challenging as a Biology major. There are limited Biology professors (only 1-2 for each course, but mostly 1). This was inconvenient for scheduling purposes. The professors were challenging, which is a good thing. They care about their students and are always willing to help outside of the lecture. I truly enjoyed the location as well as the peers I've met. It is a very diverse university; I felt like I belonged rather quickly.
I like that my school is in the city of New York. I have easy access to transportation and this makes it even easier for me to get to school. However the school has to improve several things such as the services they provide to students. It seems like sometimes all they care is about your money and not the students which is really bad especially for a public college.
Everyone in City College is very help and friendly. they have many people who are willing to help you with any problem you may have be it academic wise or personal.
The City College of NY is a really nice school, the facilities are helpful and they assist students during times of advisement and planning.
This will be my first semester, but for a transfer student they make sure you are taken care of! They defiantly give you a lot of resources to help you gain knowledge on what you really want to do. They guide you into the correct path. The people that have helped me so far are amazing.
The school is simply a scam. Teachers want you to cram text books. They do not teach. This is because they are burnt out and totally lazy, as well as totally incompetent. Past exams repeat. Those who get hold of them and cheat get A's.Ethnic teachers are biased. Very very few Americans teach in engineering departments. Totally, it is a complte disaster. The only breason jobs are given based on minority status! Not on knowledge or ;learning. It is an academic ghetto.
I was an undergrad in the engineering department before I transferred out. The professors, though not all of them, simply can not teach. They know what they're teaching but the way they teach is below average at best. However, there are some professors that are gems.
Start Your Review of CUNY City College of New York
You will meet people from all over. Not just from all the boroughs but from all over the world. It is an accessible and affordable college because it is a commuter school with a lot of choices regarding majors.
My favorite thing about this college is the large resource facility that is available. The main library is available 24/7 during finals week and long hours on regular days. There are up to five floors worth of space and resources including computer labs, meeting rooms, independent study, group study, a lounge. People even have a specific area for nap time! It is super relaxed and a great place to focus on your work!
The campus is huge and if you need a break from all the studying door rooms are available for you to hang out in the lounge and our local radio station to tune in. A park to picnic or hang out in and our shuttle bus to drop you off at the train station. There's a gym if you feel a little stiff and lots of sports available with frequent games that go on throughout the semester. Students host bake sales with music playing for their clubs.
My experience at The City College of New York has been really good so far. I am currently a rising junior there and I don't have any regrets in terms of deciding to City College. One of the main reasons why I decided to attend City College is the student body was extremely diverse (the most diverse throughout the CUNY system). One of my goals, while I was going through the college application process, was to attend a university that allowed me to meet/interact with wide range of people from various backgrounds and I think I achieved that goal through attending City College. I also decided to attend City College because of how competitive and skillful their academia was. Throughout my two years at City College, almost all of the professors I've had were extremely knowledgeable in the subject matter they were teaching and it showed when they were teaching.