1,455 reviews
  1. New York, NY
  2. 4 Year

CUNY City College of New York Reviews

1,455 reviews
Its a great college so far, it has some problems with the tuition and the understanding of transitioning from one term to the next. It is very diverse with all sorts of colors and genders, going to this college the food is very hard to find limiting you if you want to spend as little as possible.
city college has a great diversity of people. i am a psychology major following the pre med track. the psychology department is great lots of good profesors and helped offered and the sciences are challenging and hard but will definitely help you for the MCAT exam
Financial aid office is no help at all, impossible to get on phone and take weeks to respond to email. We've had to do everything on our own, I have had thousands in out of pocket costs because they are so inept.

Teachers are also quite difficult to contact outside of class, the school staff in general is not apt to offer assistance.
City College is New York City's gem. It is located at the one of the highest points around upper Manhattan and has a semi-secluded campus with a mix of newer buildings and gothic-styled ones, which are reminiscent of Hogwarts. Although it is a city college, it has one of the toughest engineering and science programs, which have some of the best graduates in the field. However, it's strength as a city-funded (cheap), rigorous school is also it's flaw. Due to low budget and cuts in funding, the students suffer from raised tuition and fees, poor building maintenance, closed class sections, etc.
Overall City College of New York is a well developed school with many opportunities and is great for how much tuition is. What changes I would like to see is the academics improve in terms of the professors trying to connect more and find ways to teach more efficiently.
My experience at City College have been one of the best on my academic journey. I have learned different subject areas that serve as a foundation to becoming a professional. City college is a beautiful campus, in my opinion nothing has to be change because that college has everything a student need to become a succesful individual in society
The City College of NY is very diverse and the campus is beautiful. My first semester went very well and I had a lot of fun hanging out on campus with friends.
I couldn't have chose a better college! When I first began I was not happy simply because my high school was on the same campus. Little did I know that it was the same planet but an entirely different world. CCNY have so much to offer to their students. There are over 100 student clubs, an extensive list of majors and minors to choose from. There are plenty of programs that are there to help if you are struggling outside and inside of the school. There are also rewards for students who maintain a GPA of 3.0 and above as well as programs that recognizes students who are not quite at the 3.0 mark bug still shows their ambition to succeed. I think the best part was getting first pick in registration because I am registered with the accessibility center. Depending on affiliation (i.e. Honors, athletics, etc.) other students also get first draft to select their classes. Overall CCNY is an amazing college to attend.
This is a great college that offers students so much they just have to be willing to search for it. Students are often worried about not going to the right university, but for my city college has so much to offer you will find a place where you belong in terms of majors and programs.
This is a great college with a beautiful campus. There are areas of grassy plain field and if you don't enjoy the grass, there is always areas without them. This college has a variety of programs, for example, the architecture program or the engineering program. It has a little bit of everything. The academics may be rigorous, but it is worth it.
I love my school because of how diverse it is, everyone is nice and helpful to one another. A lot of inspirational stories from other classmates, the professors are knowledgeable of the materials they are teaching, and are always available.
I think that this college is a lot better than expected. Many people underestimate this school because it is under "CUNY". However, I find this college to have great professors as well as rigorous classes. Even I underestimated the rigor of the courses, and I am actually pleased that this college challenges me.
My major was Public Relations and I took two decent classes. The professor's were likeable and I learned a lot.
This school is the best deal economically and academically. The professors are passionate and knowledgable. There is a wide variety of courses and majors/minors offered. Core classes tend to be larger but most offer recitation or lab which tend to be broken up into classes of less than 20 students.
There are job and internship prospects readily available, and the degrees earned at this institution hold great weight in the NYC area.
  • College Junior
  • 5 months ago
  • Value
The school environment is typically safe. IDs are checked at the entrances of all buildings and libraries within the buildings. Students are encouraged to travel in groups and the shuttle service prevents students from walking to the train or housing area especially late at night. Buses and trains are located close to the campus and the area is pretty busy even late at night. CUNY police patrols the campus daily.
Students typically rate housing as luxurious minus luxury costs, and the 24-hr shuttle to and from campus and the neighboring community is an added plus.
Greek life at CCNY seems to deviate from the typical Greek life at many private schools. The organizations here are more focused on preparing its members for post-grad rather than throwing illustrious events, and the members are far from snobby. Importantly, little emphasis is placed on joining these organizations and most students do so at their own free will.
Based on observation, there seems to be fair emphasis on sports at this school. Athletic achievements are showcased proudly, and students are apt to participate in many of the sports at both the intramural and varsity levels.
This school offers top-quality educational opportunities for a mere fraction of the typical college cost. It allows a student to experience the best of both worlds, grounded with a solid campus life in the city.