Columbia University Reviews

1,092 reviews
An excellent university, but the rigor can be quiet a turnoff. It's also centered in a busy high-traffic area next to a hospital, so sirens are more common than the sound of birds.
The people are stuck up

No parking

No athletic ability among students

Professors are difficult

Tuition is very expensive, not particularly because the education is better, but because it's an Ivy

You're buying a name, not an education
I have found my experience at Columbia to have been one of endless discovery. In this review I will focus on the Core Curriculum, which all students in the College and the School of Engineering take in one way or another. Although there is a valid claim to the antiquity of the texts themselves, Columbia's teaching and discursive methodology is second-to-none. The way I see it, there is universal value in being well-read; it is a prerequisite for engaging with the world in meaningful terms outside of what one might experience through their personal spheres. Even those who may oppose aspects of the Core -- as I have at times -- have plenty of options to respond creatively. The curriculum may appear rigid at first, but as Columbia teaches us, knowledge at face-value is nothing gained. The Core Curriculum was the most flexible aspect of my education, because there was always the lingering question of how I would bend it towards my will in hopes of doing good for this world.
Review Columbia University
The Ivy League brand is a leg up in the job market. Resources are great, education is solid. Professors vary, but are mostly good.
Love the classes and professors. If you're looking for the classic college experience though, this is not the school for you. You're living in New York City and you won't get the feel or experience of a college town.
Your peers and professors are top-notch. With diversity built into their undergraduate program via their school of nontraditional students, General Studies, Columbia offers a unique and rewarding educational experience.
One of the main things that I like about Columbia is the exposure to the alumni network after graduation. There are a lot of alumni groups that get together to network and there are reciprocal alumni organization with other universities. Columbia's location is also amazing and the campus is beautiful!
I really enjoyed the fact that Columbia keeps their students on core curriculum for two years to build community. However, it made me very upset that the majority of the literature in their core curriculum is written by white straight men. I think that in our modern day society it is important to teach literature not only written by white men, but literature that is created by women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community.
Overall, I was disappointed with my experience at Columbia University. Many of the professors delivered disjointed, uninteresting lectures lacking in breadth and depth. The two courses I took at the Teacher’s College, one focused on educational research methods and the other on Critical Race Theory, turned out to be the most formative in helping me complete my thesis which was really the only product I had to show for my entire time there. While the advisement sessions on my thesis were moderately helpful, I figured out much of how to conduct my thesis on my own. Although I concede that my experience might have been slightly different had I not been a commuter student, the university and its faculty, nevertheless, did not meet up to my expectations. The anthropology department seems more invested in its PhD students than its Master’s students and I, for one, certainly did not advance my career prospects by attending this university.
Columbia gave me a chance to learn new things and challenge myself. There were times when I felt a bit discouraged by the immense workload. But the professors and students were friendly and encouraging enough to help when you really put the effort. The people are amazing (both students and faculty) and I thank the school for helping mold me to the person I am today. I hope to give back to the school one day in any way possible.
I have been a student at Columbia for one year. I have loved the experience because of my professors and my classmates, especially in the Institute for Research in African-American Studies (IRAAS) and the Center for the Study of Ethnicity and Race (CSER). Although Columbia is in the heart of New York City, and there are great connections to the city around it, it lacks the full campus feel that can make the college experience.
Columbia is very diverse and the classes are engaging and incredible. Being in the city is also one of the best experiences anyone can have, especially after graduation.
Thingso are very overpriced. Everything costs extra...and there is no student price, it's the price of a celebrity would pay. And they do this because they have you stuck. You want to do a club, an international immersion experience, a class social, etc it's a ton extra. Food on campus costs 2x the price of of already expensive prices that you might see in NYC. This is a big complaint of mine.
I am currently enrolled in graduate school at the prestigious Columbia University. I am impressed with the level of diversity at Columbia. There is a majority minority. Most of my seminars are comprised of Asian, Indian students I myself am typically the only African American student. I believe that Columbia truly wants their students to thrive. They bring in some of the best professors from the corporate world. For instances in one of my courses I have three different professors. Each have a very different perspective and method of teaching. I will say that I am disappointed that there are not more scholarships available to graduate students; I am working a full-time job in addition to taking a full course load so that I can graduate in a two year span and pay for school. Mind you I have a 3.8 G.P.A I believe that their should be some source of funding other than loans for students in my situation.
Columbia is great. I have loved my experience here and couldn't recommend this school any more highly.
Columbia University became like a home to me. I was connected to Columbia through the Double Discovery Center since i was a freshman in high school, and later on in the summer of 2016 I completed the Freedom and Citizenship program. During the Freedom and Citizenship program, I lived on campus and attended daily seminars led by professor Dan-El Padilla Peralta for the entire month of July. I think Columbia University is a perfect place where someone can express who they are and be surrounded by brilliant people.
Columbia is top notch in almost every category. But, recently the administration censored the famously clever marching band by canceling its traditional "Orgo Night" show in the library on the eve of finals week. Suddenly, after 40 years, the show as no longer "appropriate." Heavy-handed administrators who suppress student speech rights don't seem to be in keeping with what Columbia is supposed to stand for.
Review Columbia University
each school is independent of each other, career fairs are not open to all, not as inclusive as it claims to be or from provost, terrible for handicap or disabled
I chose Columbia for the diversity of people, and it has far exceeded my expectations. For the most part, the community is inclusive and supportive which makes college far more welcoming and enjoyable.
Columbia University is truly one of the most respected institutions and lives up to its reputation. I am proud to be a student there and feel that I am making strides everyday. The professors are at the top of their fields and are typically passionate about their classes.